Caribou Gear

HOWA 270 Win Replacement - Ugh!

USAF Ret

So, bought a HOWA 1500 270 Win last year. Could not get it to group better than 5" with any type of ammo. Sent back to Legacy in January. Just got notified today that they need to replace it. They have no 270 in stock. Okay, I am recoil sensitive, send me an 06 and I can load that down. Nope. Don't have one.

So, I spent $400 on a B&C stock for a long action HOWA. It is bedded. Did it hoping to get it to group. All they have in stock is a 7mm Rem Mag. No idea if or when they will get another 1500 long action back in. Would not even entertain a different rifle, even if I paid the difference, because I did not buy it from them. I am stuck with that or nothing. So, I just said send it. I doubt I can handle it, but all I can do is give it a try.

Not very satisfied with the outcome here.

I generally loathe muzzle brakes but you might look into hiring a smith to put one on the 7Mag for you. That should tame it right down.
I have a brake for it already. It is a 30 Cal brake, but should work close enough. I also have a suppressor in the works, but that will probably be toward the end of the year.

I think I can load down with A5744 or H4895.

I have a 7mm-08 and have bullets on hand. I also know Lehigh provides reduced load data with their copper bullets. Thank you.

So, bought a HOWA 1500 270 Win last year. Could not get it to group better than 5" with any type of ammo. Sent back to Legacy in January. Just got notified today that they need to replace it. They have no 270 in stock. Okay, I am recoil sensitive, send me an 06 and I can load that down. Nope. Don't have one.

So, I spent $400 on a B&C stock for a long action HOWA. It is bedded. Did it hoping to get it to group. All they have in stock is a 7mm Rem Mag. No idea if or when they will get another 1500 long action back in. Would not even entertain a different rifle, even if I paid the difference, because I did not buy it from them. I am stuck with that or nothing. So, I just said send it. I doubt I can handle it, but all I can do is give it a try.

Not very satisfied with the outcome here.
5 inches at what distance? I get it, 5 at any distance might be unacceptable, I'm just curious. I have a HOWA AMR and I could not get it to group either, but I need to spend more time with it I think.

5 inches at what distance? I get it, 5 at any distance might be unacceptable, I'm just curious. I have a HOWA AMR and I could not get it to group either, but I need to spend more time with it I think.
100 yards and failed the MOA test at Legacy. I only got 1 group at 5". Most times only a few hit a 12 inch target. Rifle had problems.

I have a brake for it already. It is a 30 Cal brake, but should work close enough. I also have a suppressor in the works, but that will probably be toward the end of the year.

I think I can load down with A5744 or H4895.
7 mag with a good brake will kick way less than a standard 270.
The suppressor will reduce recoil by a lot too, just not quite as much as a brake.

I am leaning in that direction, but there is really nothing else I can think of getting. That was supposed to be my elk rifle this year. Had to cancel due to my wife's health issues. IDK. Just need to mull it over. I will shoot it first to make sure it groups, because I won't sell crap to someone.

If I was in Spokane or another large metro area with a good second hand gun market I'd trade it over the counter as an unfired rifle. I say Spokane since that's where I shopped (Double Eagle).

Your other option is to wait for the backorder time they tell you it will take.

I’ve been very disappointed with Howa’s customer service.
Yep, the wait time was horrible and absolutely zero flexibility in fixing the situation. They have had the rifle since January and said they just had a big purchase and had nothing in stock. Said I HAD to get from them the same rifle I sent them. I thought about contacting management, but I don't have the time nor energy to deal with them. I will never buy another firearm from Legacy.

Well, I emailed the warranty rep and told him to hold on sending the rifle. I also emailed the VP of sales and customer service and told them this was unacceptable. I also contacted Bud's Gun Shop, who I bought the rifle through, to see if there is something they can do. Appreciate all the feedback.

Back