Caribou Gear Tarp

HOWA 270 Win Replacement - Ugh!

Well, it worked out in the end. They went through the inventory again and found they had a 6.5 PRC long action. So, they will be shipping that out. Not my 270, but it is in that recoil range. Not satisfied, but better than a 7mm Rem Mag.

Well, it worked out in the end. They went through the inventory again and found they had a 6.5 PRC long action. So, they will be shipping that out. Not my 270, but it is in that recoil range. Not satisfied, but better than a 7mm Rem Mag.
That's a win... better cartridge than that archaic piece of work, anyway!

Funny how that works. Raise a little stink and somehow “oh my goodness turns out we DO have what could solve your problem.”

I've always been under the impression that even hot 7RM loads were on par with 165/180 grain loads in 30-06 on every recoil chart.
Am I that wrong?!

I've always been under the impression that even hot 7RM loads were on par with 165/180 grain loads in 30-06 on every recoil chart.
Am I that wrong?!
It is at 23.15 lbs of free recoil energy. The 30-06 is 21.34. However, I purchased a 270, which has 17.64 lbs and I was shooting that with a brake in about a 7.5lb rifle.

I am actually selling the 6.5 PRC and the B&C bedded stock I have. I bought a Tikka T3X and am dropping it in an MDT Oryx stock. Got a good deal on both. That gives me a 270 at between 10 to 11 lbs to soak up recoil. I am an old man and I ain't going to be packing into the mountains of Montana on a solo hunt. This will be for deer and the only elk hunt I will have is with an outfitter that does disabled veteran hunts in WY. Just have to make it out there.

Just tired of messing around with stuff. After researching and thinking on it, I just don't want or need another cartridge. New dies, brass and powder (uses magnum type powders I don't have on hand). I know the 6.5 PRC is supposed to be a fantastic cartridge, but all I wanted was my 270.

Last edited:
Yessir, I hear that.
Yessir. I can tell you know how I feel.

I would not shoot past 300 yards and have heard on several podcasts that in that range, the difference between a 6.5 PRC and 270 Win is negligible. The high BC bullets shine at the longer ranges.

It is at 23.15 lbs of free recoil energy. The 30-06 is 21.34. However, I purchased a 270, which has 17.64 lbs and I was shooting that with a brake in about a 7.5lb rifle.

I am actually selling the 6.5 PRC and the B&C bedded stock I have. I bought a Tikka T3X and am dropping it in an MDT Oryx stock. Got a good deal on both. That gives me a 270 at between 10 to 11 lbs to soak up recoil. I am an old man and I ain't going to be packing into the mountains of Montana on a solo hunt. This will be for deer and the only elk hunt I will have is with an outfitter that does disabled veteran hunts in WY. Just have to make it out there.

Just tired of messing around with stuff. After researching and thinking on it, I just don't want or need another cartridge. New dies, brass and powder (uses magnum type powders I don't have on hand). I know the 6.5 PRC is supposed to be a fantastic cartridge, but all I wanted was my 270.
I know the feeling of just wanting to purchase a tool and use it for its intended task - aka SHOOTING!
Just went through the hassle of turning a 270 Howa 1500 into a semi-custom 6.5-284 Norma for long range.
If I had to do it again I'd just buy a new rifle build to spec than have that hassle again.

Although when I shot my first 3 shot group and it went .20 MOA my mental health got an uptick.
As small groups are wont to do ya know.

Functional difference between the old rifle (which was a legit .5 to .6 MOA rifle before I touched anything besides finding a load for it) as I shot it factory and what I gained was very little as a hunting tool compared at reasonable (sub-880 yards).

I know the feeling of just wanting to purchase a tool and use it for its intended task - aka SHOOTING!
Just went through the hassle of turning a 270 Howa 1500 into a semi-custom 6.5-284 Norma for long range.
If I had to do it again I'd just buy a new rifle build to spec than have that hassle again.

Although when I shot my first 3 shot group and it went .20 MOA my mental health got an uptick.
As small groups are wont to do ya know.

Functional difference between the old rifle (which was a legit .5 to .6 MOA rifle before I touched anything besides finding a load for it) as I shot it factory and what I gained was very little as a hunting tool compared at reasonable (sub-880 yards).
Don't you love it when you do that? I do the same. Drop $$ into a rifle and don't get enough out of it to be worth the money. Same reason I just don't need a caliber that does the same thing mine does at the max distance I am comfortable shooting.

And the stupid thing for me? Out of all the higher dollar rifles in my safe, my most accurate is a Ruger American 6.5 CR in a Magpul Hunter stock. Probably should have just bought another Ruger American in 270 with a Magpul Hunter stock and been done with it. Note - I did drop a Timney trigger into it. Those Ruger triggers are not the best.

I will say, the only rifles I have that needed no modification are a couple of CVA Cascades I own. They are shooters out of the box. No offering in 270 Win.

7 mag with a good brake will kick way less than a standard 270.
The suppressor will reduce recoil by a lot too, just not quite as much as a brake.
@60 Rem of 6.5 Creedmoore should also kick less and maybr no supressor needed!

@60 Rem of 6.5 Creedmoore should also kick less and maybr no supressor needed!
I have x2 6.5 CRs. CVA Cascade and my tack driver, Ruger American in a Magpul stock. Well, both are tack drivers, but the Ruger groups sub .75 MOA with everything I feed it. Plus it has the best rattle can job I have done.Ruger American 143 Bondstrike 42.9 H4350_Upload.jpg

Attachments

• Ruger American4.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 9
Congrats on the new rifle. Looks like a sweet set up. What scope did you go with?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back