MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Howa 1500 vs tika tx3

Bob-WY

I am working towards an antelope rifle. .243 is what I am looking for caliber and after handling a bunch have it between howa 1500 and tika tx3. Side by side howa is heavier, by another, but its the same as my remington 700 which never struck me as heavy

Shop that has em both says tika way out sells and he didn't like the stock material on Howa

Anyone have experience with both?

You might want to look into the new Howa Carbon Elevate in 6.5 Grendel (mini action) or 6.5 Creedmoor (short action). The specs haven't been posted yet but its got to be a lot lighter than the standard 1500. It has a carbon fiber barrel and appears to have a carbon fiber stock.

Wow, didn't take long for the 6.5 fan club to shame someone's caliber choice. .243 is wonderful.

When choosing a rifle, i like to shoulder each one to see what fits me best. Can't go wrong either way. If it's primarily for speedgoat, i wouldn't worry about weight. Just my two cents.

I have both and love both, but in my opinion the tikka t3x is much nicer - especially if you get it in the "ss lite" configuration. The only way I would by 1500 over t3X is if I wanted to shoot 25-06 or the like out of a 24" barrel instead of 22" (which is why I have my 1500). But both are great values for the money and will be the equal of many rifles twice their price.

Just went through this exact decision for my 25-06 and went Howa. I didn’t like the stock either, an HS will be on its way once I get settled on rings. To make it even, I’m looking for a 7-08 now and it will be a Tikka.

The tikkas have a lot of plastic if that’s something that would bother you.
Both rifles need new stocks imo - both have plastic trigger guards last time I looked but been a few years (which I also replaced) - tikka has plastic mag, but modern plastics are actually better for mags than metal imo (and the US army testing agrees) - but I prefer drop-plate which is a plus in the 1500 camp. Plastic bolt covers were taken off tikkas when they went to the "x" models. So other than the drop-plate vs drop-box no real plastic difference in my experience.

Wow, didn't take long for the 6.5 fan club to shame someone's caliber choice. .243 is wonderful.

When choosing a rifle, i like to shoulder each one to see what fits me best. Can't go wrong either way. If it's primarily for speedgoat, i wouldn't worry about weight. Just my two cents.
I didn't shame his choice of .243 just mentioned a brand new option for one of the gun makes he is interested in. He has concerns with the Howa stock and the new model looks to have a new lighter stock. Maybe he only wants a .243, I don't know? I also can't believe you'd shame a guy for wanting a lighter gun. :)

For a 'lope gun, weight wouldn't be much of a consideration. In fact, I'd lean towards a heavier rifle. Both solid rifles and capable of being really accurate. .243 will do well, but I'd go .25-06!

Never had a tikka that wouldn’t shoot great with multiple loads. Have had few howas that were pretty picky

Never had a tikka that wouldn’t shoot great with multiple loads. Have had few howas that were pretty picky
I have 3 tikkas that will shoot just about anything sub .7" - and one that made me resort to hammers to get to 1". I guess that one is the exception that proves the rule. So if you ever see me selling a 7mm08 T3X run the other way ;)

Presuming the OP knows what he wants....no shame in that. But can't I whisper the 25.06 is a much better caliber, especially punching through a good ol Wyoming crosswind. Just saying.

I have 3 tikkas that will shoot just about anything sub .7" - and one that made me resort to hammers to get to 1". I guess that one is the exception that proves the rule. So if you ever see me selling a 7mm08 T3X run the other way ;)
Had to "resort" to Hammers? Might up the game with your others. Only Tikka I have is my dog. Thought it was a cool name. mtmuley

I have 2 guns made by Howa:

1. Smith and Wesson 1500 (Howa 1500 with S&W stamp). This gun is extremely accurate.
2. Weatherby Vanguard 300WM. Would not shoot consistent groups with factory ammo or handloads. Gunsmith found issue with the barrel and it is being rebarreled.

I have 3 Tikkas (1 T3 and 2 T3x's). With handloads, all 3 shoot <0.5" groups. I prefer Tikka's hands down.

Both rifles need new stocks imo - both have plastic trigger guards last time I looked but been a few years (which I also replaced) - tikka has plastic mag, but modern plastics are actually better for mags than metal imo (and the US army testing agrees) - but I prefer drop-plate which is a plus in the 1500 camp. Plastic bolt covers were taken off tikkas when they went to the "x" models. So other than the drop-plate vs drop-box no real plastic difference in my experience.
I agree with a lot of that. It’s just something that always stuck with me. My 1500 has a metal trigger guard. Luckily there are so many T3 modifications available that if you liked the action you could have everything swapped over in no time.

I considered both. 257 and. 25-06. I dont handled so availability of of the shelf options is a factor, that swung it ro .243.

Also looking forward to my grandson using it down the road

I don’t own a Howa, but my dad has a S&W 308 made by Howa. It has been a great gun, despite a recall years ago I believe. I have owned and still own a couple of Tikkas. My T3 superlite in 06 is super accurate. I have replaced most of the plastic on my T3 because I am a perfectionist only as it all works as supplied and the newer T3X’s have some improvements over the T3’s. The only benefit I see in the Howa is that comes in a true short action and the Tikka will not. I plan on adding another superlite in either 7-08 or 6.5 to the safe in the near future. If you don’t like the factory stock both models have affordable aftermarket options. I personally would just buy the Tikka.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back