Yeti GOBOX Collection

Howa 1500 vs tika tx3

I put a B&C stock on my T3x 300WSM yesterday. It added a few ounces of weight, but feels good and hopefully the meatier stock will absorb more recoil. Haven’t shot it yet, but will post later if I notice any measurable change in how it shoots.

View attachment 170269,
Mine shoots noticeably better with the B&C stock than it did with the factory version. I just wish the B&C was a tad lighter. Yesterday, I ordered a High Desert Research bottom metal for mine, as well. I didn't really do that for accuracy, but it may improve things even more. I'm shooting groups around 7/8" now, so anything more is really gravy.

Sure. I find my Tikkas more accurate. I have 2 and it really does seem the more I shoot them the more accurate they become. They are lighter weight than the Howa I had, again not that it was over-heavy, just heavier - it was a 25-06, should be comparable to the T3X in .270 (both being long actions based on the -06) but it was heavier. This might be an individual thing to that particular rifle, but there was more play in the bolt than I liked. The Tikkas have probably the best factory triggers out there, certainly one of them. And although people complain about their stocks, I actually like the Tikka stocks. On both mine, I put the vertical grip extension available on Amazon for about $25, and just like the way they feel.

I have a handful of project rifles that I tinker with and might always be up for sale or trade if something else came along, but those Tikkas are my go-to hunting rifles. Very reliable, comfortable, and I know exactly what they do when I squeeze the trigger.

Again, nothing wrong with a Howa, but I seriously doubt you'd regret going with a T3X. Same goes for a .243 as well. Excellent choice for deer/antelope sized game.

I have 2 older Howas (308’s) and my son has the vanguard in 25-06. All are shooters and heavier than Tikkas. Both my Howa’s were upgraded for stocks and triggers. I like them and can’t see myself selling them but I wouldn’t do it again. I’d save up and buy the gun I don’t need to upgrade. It seem that’s around $1k these days.

I own both.

Tikkas are sort of the easy button for a hunting rifle. They are as lightweight a rifle as I can enjoy shooting in most calibers. They are almost always accurate from my experiences and those of folks I know. They don't need any work done on them to make them work except for maybe a limbsaver recoil pad if you are sensitive like me. The stocks are about as good as injection modled plastic can get, which is pretty good. Great trigger. Most complaints about them are superficial, in regard to appearance or plastic parts that actually function very well. The ergos are not great for everyone, however. The length of pull is fairly long.

The thing is that I enjoy shooting my Howa rifles a whole lot more. The stocks fit me better (I know stocks can be changed). I enjoy being able to single load from the top easily. The extra weight of the Howa is an advantage in every situation except for when you're actually hauling it around in your hands. I even like the way they look better (significantly better!). The only factory trigger that I prefer over the Howa HACT trigger is the Tikka, and that is only some days. If Howas cost as much as a Tikka, they probably wouldn't be able to compete. But before the current crisis, you could buy a Howa Hogue rifle for around $400 if you shopped around. My mini action cost me less than $400, but that was about five years ago. Howas are the best value out there, bar none.

EDIT: Might as well add this. Just going with my gut here, but I'd go Howa for this purpose. The extra weight won't be a hindrance on your typical antelope hunt.

I own both.

Tikkas are sort of the easy button for a hunting rifle. They are as lightweight a rifle as I can enjoy shooting in most calibers. They are almost always accurate from my experiences and those of folks I know. They don't need any work done on them to make them work except for maybe a limbsaver recoil pad if you are sensitive like me. The stocks are about as good as injection modled plastic can get, which is pretty good. Great trigger. Most complaints about them are superficial, in regard to appearance or plastic parts that actually function very well. The ergos are not great for everyone, however. The length of pull is fairly long.

The thing is that I enjoy shooting my Howa rifles a whole lot more. The stocks fit me better (I know stocks can be changed). I enjoy being able to single load from the top easily. The extra weight of the Howa is an advantage in every situation except for when you're actually hauling it around in your hands. I even like the way they look better (significantly better!). The only factory trigger that I prefer over the Howa HACT trigger is the Tikka, and that is only some days. If Howas cost as much as a Tikka, they probably wouldn't be able to compete. But before the current crisis, you could buy a Howa Hogue rifle for around $400 if you shopped around. My mini action cost me less than $400, but that was about five years ago. Howas are the best value out there, bar none.
I'll see you in the iron cage, with pugil sticks, for a name battle, buddy! ;)

Good choice with the .243 on deer and antelope. That cartridge has proven been proving it's worth for many decades before all the "super cool" rounds came around. Lot's of ammo choices for the guy who doesn't reload too (at least in normal times).

I have the Howa 1500 with the Hogue stock in both .270 and .243 and both shoot great, like others have said weight shouldn't be a factor...not talking pounds difference.. Good luck.

Back