How young of Kids to Take to WY?

Wilderness_56587

From your experience how young of kids should you take on a public land WY antelope hunt? My boy will be 3 this Sept and debating bringing him along, roughly 12 hour drive to get to hunting spot, all public land, most likely doe only.

If your going alone, he is to young --but if your wife ( or someone else) is also going then speaking only for myself, when my husband and I had children that young, we took them and we ( husband and I ) took turns hunting each day or sometimes one would hunt mornings or evenings while the other was with the child. If it was a tougher hunt than antelope ( Elk, coues deer, mountain lion type hunts) our 3 year old would stay with their grandparents. PLUS---it depends on the personality and disposition of the 3 year old, one might be impossible and one might be ready to start learning basic outdoor stuff. Personally, the quicker and more often you get them and keep them away from T.V. and x boxes while interesting them in the outdoors the better. However, I said all this based upon what hunting with a 3 year old was like in the 50's---hunting public land today is a bit different. This post was also probably more than you wanted to know lol

Good info, I will be my dad and I going. My main concern is actually the cactus and other pricky plants, if he fell/tripped on a cactus I would feel horrible.

Both my kids have been "Hunting and fishing" with me from a very young age, the boy , now 42 , was in a baby carrier when he started.
Had to carry him every were.
The daughter was a tad older , now 40, but the same thing.
Most of the time it was just me with them.
We are still hunting together and soon they will have to be taking care of ME..
The little GD and I hunt together, same thing, I still have to carry her rifle or tackle box, she will be 10 this year and wants to shoot a deer with me.
:hump:

Last edited:
Good info, I will be my dad and I going. My main concern is actually the cactus and other pricky plants, if he fell/tripped on a cactus I would feel horrible.

Personally, I'd probably wait a couple years. That said, If you wanna take him, take him. Just know its going to be what it is.

We had our son out at a very early age while we hunted. Worked fine as long as one had baby sitting duties while the other hunted.
Our only issue was when he decided to walk through the campfire pit. Luckily no burns, but we had to pull up camp and head home from miles out in the desert.
Help can be hours away if something happens.

Our young son went on all of our early hunting trips and saw some great animals and scenery. He is not a hunter now , nor will he ever be one, but still enjoys the out of doors.

As long as there is someone to watch the little one when the shooter has to focus and such, 3 isn't too young imo. Depends a little on the kid too. I've taken my kids out for the last several years, with ages ranging from 2-10, as long as there is someone to hang with them. To me 5 or 6 has been about right to start taking them out by myself.

My parents were running around with me in the woods from day one, I'm sure it will add some added planning to the trip but there really isn't a reason not to other than inconvenience.

Just found a pic of my first camping trip, Canyon Lands NP, 6 weeks old.

Attachments

• C6B56C4A-A927-448D-ABD6-D3E959DBA5EC.jpeg
    C6B56C4A-A927-448D-ABD6-D3E959DBA5EC.jpeg
    1,017.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Don't wait. Start them young. As long as there is another trusted adult to help you out, you'll be good to go.

My wife and I took our three year old on our Wyoming antelope trip last year. It was a blast. Lots of time spent playing around, but he made a number of stalks with us as well. Found some mulie sheds all by himself. I did inadvertently set him down on a cactus in the heat of the moment, but that was quickly forgotten.

We camped on BLM and loved every minute of it. He references that trip on a daily basis. Obviously a very positive experience for him.

It's ok for kids to get out and explore a bit, even if there are some bumps and bruises along the way.

By all means take him along, 3 generation hunts are about as good as it gets. A doe antelope hunt is perfect for young kids as that is about as easy/fun as it gets.

Don't wait. Start them young. As long as there is another trusted adult to help you out, you'll be good to go.

My wife and I took our three year old on our Wyoming antelope trip last year. It was a blast. Lots of time spent playing around, but he made a number of stalks with us as well. Found some mulie sheds all by himself. I did inadvertently set him down on a cactus in the heat of the moment, but that was quickly forgotten.

We camped on BLM and loved every minute of it. He references that trip on a daily basis. Obviously a very positive experience for him.

Did you let him walk the whole time or have one of the backpack carriers?

I think a lot depends on kid and what you are trying to accomplish. If you want a hunting buddy later in life get them out as and as often as it makes since ie not extreme temps or long time out. Antelope can be really good because you can give them pair of binoculars and they will always be able to see one. Now to kid. My oldest son was 5 and we did a quick deer drive saw 3 bucks few does in 4 different groups. Had 3 oreo cookies and then shot at a buck that came by at 75 yards. And after all that he couldn't handle another min he was done. My youngest at age 2 would go histarical if I left him at home. He was with me all the time on farm and by age 3 would drive tractors while I picked up bales. At age 4 he would take a bb gun and go walk the fields for deer by himself. I did not take him when he was 4 and other son 11 to arizona for elk hunt. 5bs was relatively flat where we hunted and he could have done it but traveling from ohio and having grandpa there who stayed at truck a few times still was right decision to be able to hunt hard and have a special time with oldest son. Know your kid and know your goals.

We have taken our boys along the last 2 years. The first fall we took them they were 1 and 3. They had a blast both years.

Please don't try to 'Protect' your children from the outdoors reality. They are more resilient than you care to give them credit for. A possible Boo-Boo is Not a reason to exclude them from a true adventure and learning experience.

There will be 3 generations going this fall for sure as long as we draw tags, slim chance of us getting buck tags but hopefully at least doe tags, either way just looking to have fun. The plan as of now is to drive through the night to make it easier for my boy since we have about 12 hours to drive. Should be a fun time.

Dress him in bright orange and take the wife along! I'd be more worried about rattle snakes than cacti, but that's just me. I saw one guy have a successful stalk w/ 2 kids under 5 yo, but he had his wife there to keep an eye on them. I've been having this conversation w/ my wife in regards to our daughter and we agreed pronghorn hunting would be the best b/c of the landscape and we'd start when she was 3 or 4 as long as we were both there. I won't take her w/ just me until shes maybe 6 to 8 depending on her maturity and ability to follow instructions.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more with the other posts on this thread. I have close friends that bring their 1 and 3 year old daughters backpack elk hunting with them. It's extra weight and another element you have to plan for but completely do-able. For antelope, especially if you have someone with you to help with the kiddo, you would be fine to take them along.

Good information to read. Plan to take kids 5 & 8 on any pronghorn scouting trips this year, they get into finding animals and all have their own basic binos. I will definitely consider bringing them on the hunt too depending on partner and hunt area.
I want to take a few family summer camping trips to elk area, nothing too crazy, but learning lay of the land and such. Wont plan to bring them on the hunt yet, but will gauge interest and perhaps look at cow elk hunt options in next couple years.

I have young kids and i started taking my oldest when he was 3.5 years old. I had low expectations on the hunt and only planned on him having a great time. We were mule deer hunting. I took my truck and wheeler and plenty of clothes and snacks. He did great. I tried to hike but in the steep hills in idaho that proved difficult. I just held his hand and didnt get far from the road. We saw plenty of does, moose, and grouse and he had a great time.

My second boy, i took out at 3.5 but he doesn't have the stamina as my oldest so i couldnt do a lot off of the road. He had fun but it was different than my oldest. I have no regrets taking him.

Both my boys are obsessed with it now. They are 8 and 6 and are both up to hike a few miles. Last year we hiked 2 miles and had 1600 feet of elevation change. We were not breaking any speed barriers but they loved it.

Bottom line is that if you feel he is ready to try, then take him. Have low expectations, be patient, and be willing to adapt. You may see does over the next hill but he cant make it there. Go find some others. Dont let him get cold or it is all over. Hold his hand when you walk so he doesn't end up in cactus, if you are worried about that. With your dad to help i dont see any reason not to take him. Good thinking with driving through the night. Have plenty of snacks and you should have a great time!!!

Good Luck!

I took my youngest antelope hunting at age 4. Every kid and every parent is different. As long as the kids stay safe and have fun, it’s a success.

Back