How young of Kids to Take to WY?

From your experience how young of kids should you take on a public land WY antelope hunt? My boy will be 3 this Sept and debating bringing him along, roughly 12 hour drive to get to hunting spot, all public land, most likely doe only.
Lot's of good advice above - I will add/reiterate -- if the hunt is about you getting a shot, he is probably too young -- if it is about you and your son sharing a once in a lifetime experience that may not involve a shot at anything, then take him. The worst thing I have seen with other dads is bringing younger kids and getting too focused on their hunt and giving the kid and themselves a lousy frustrating experience.

Take them. One of the best sites I have ever seen was my 5 and 7 year old daughters stretching out the intestines of an antelope doe to see how long they were, and telling me they could see how the food goes into the mouth and comes out as poop!

Depends on what you want your trip to be focused on. Guaranteed, a little one in diapers or just out of diapers is gonna suck most of the oxygen on any trip. It's just the way they are. When I'm visiting my son and his family that's what I expect.
Personally, I'd rather go to the shop and slam my hand in the vise than try to take my granddaughter (4yrs old) on a big game hunt in the fall of the year subject to unknown weather and temperature conditions for a week or more. Lets be honest, she wouldn't enjoy it and neither would anyone else.
A nice leisurely summer camping trip I could see, just so you know I'm not a total a-hole scrooge.

My 3 yr old had a blast antelope hunting last fall. That being said, we live a half hour from the unit. By mid afternoon, he was wiped out in the carseat in the truck and we were stuck road hunting for the rest of the day. I wouldn't have traded it for anything though!

I always had good luck with my kids around the age of five. Keep their bellies full and warm and they are fine. Antelope is awesome for kids because they get to see lots of critters which is good for my I mean their short attention span

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back