How to Pick a new hunting round?

DamascusSteel

I searched for this before posting, and I know this a beat to death topic from reading past threads about other similar topics. I am curious how you all pick a new hunting bullet, do yall pick by brand, accuracy, or bullet construction? what is more important? in yalls opinion, bullet construction or sub moa or even moa accuracy. I know shot placement is a big factor in bullet selection, if one were to only take neck shots then a ballistic tip or vld would be perfect, but if one were to take shoulder and body shots than a mono or tough bonded bullet would be best decision. Curious to see everyone's opinion on this.

Well, I suppose most would say it’s a combo of everything, and I’d also guess folks would say accuracy trumps all.

I was in the same boat recently. I was using a thin jacketed bullet that was extraordinarily accurate, but I am a meat hunter so I would really need to be careful with my shot placement to save a steak.

I decided to switch to all copper bullets, THEN went through the process to find the most accurate ammo.

So, keeping in mind this is for hunting and not competitive shooting, I‘d say settle on the bullet construction you want then find the most accurate ammo - I’m sure there is factory ammo or you’ll create a combo that provides excellent hunting accuracy with whatever bullet construction you prefer.

Have fun!

I think that a reasonable approach is 3 fold. First, look for rounds with quality bullets that have proven weight retention and hunting performance. Next, look at the various bullet weights available, check their ballistics charts for energy transmitted at the range you are comfortable with and then......Finally (and this is where it gets a bit expensive) buy a few boxes of the bullet/weight combo you want from various manufacturers and head to the range. Each rifle is mechanically different and as such will function differently (sometimes greatly) with seemingly very similar rounds. Personally I found this with my first rifle, a Remington 710. I started off shooting 150 Core Lokts and it absolutely LOVED those rounds. I never had a group outside of moa. When I was prepping for my first hunting season I did some due diligence and tried several round combos. Nothing performed horribly but there was a definite difference in accuracy. I ended up with the CLs for deer but switched to Partitions when it came time for elk...giving up about 1/2 moa. It is truly about finding the best all around fit.

I'd definately start by doing some forum searching to see what all the flat billed bros have decided is the next best thing. Then I'd get some of them and then try to shoot some game animal at 700+yards.....then post about it on the forums for those that have the same question down the road.

Just kidding- I would pick an accubond, partition, tsx, or ttsx.

I think that a reasonable approach is 3 fold. First, look for rounds with quality bullets that have proven weight retention and hunting performance. Next, look at the various bullet weights available, check their ballistics charts for energy transmitted at the range you are comfortable with and then......Finally (and this is where it gets a bit expensive) buy a few boxes of the bullet/weight combo you want from various manufacturers and head to the range. Each rifle is mechanically different and as such will function differently (sometimes greatly) with seemingly very similar rounds. Personally I found this with my first rifle, a Remington 710. I started off shooting 150 Core Lokts and it absolutely LOVED those rounds. I never had a group outside of moa. When I was prepping for my first hunting season I did some due diligence and tried several round combos. Nothing performed horribly but there was a definite difference in accuracy. I ended up with the CLs for deer but switched to Partitions when it came time for elk...giving up about 1/2 moa. It is truly about finding the best all around fit.
That is what I have been trying to do with my rifles lately my 270 has always shot hornady interlocks good 1 to 2 inch groups in hunting positions, just bought a new 300 wsm and have been looking around at bullets not a big selection at the moment. did pick up a box of hornady interlocks to shoot and was looking for a better bonded or mono bullet to actually hunt with but if the gun loves this ammo then i may just use them and lean more towards neck shots. my max range right now is 300 yds but 90% of the time 50 or less so not going to be using this gun often only when hunting farm fields

There are some bullets out there that I just wouldn't feel right about shooting at an animal, so I just don't mess with those. I don't like explosive rapid expanders, and since I load for hunting applications, I don't load any match bullets. I like a bullet with relatively controlled expansion that will carve a wound channel all the way through a ribcage. Why? Because that's just what I like.

That means I tend to load bonded core bullets like Accubonds and Hornady Interbonds. My all-around favorite design is the Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Tip, however, I've had a little more luck getting AB's and IB's to shoot accurately. My .308 and 7mm-08 shoot the heck out of the TBT's, but two .270's and a .280 are not great with them. I never really thought about it before, but I guess I do start with bullet design and go from there. If I can consistently hold .75 MOA with a load, I'll hunt with that all day long.

Had some good accuracy with Barnes TTSX in .270s but never shot anything with them yet. And I know Partitions are extremely popular, have been forever. I like the design, but Ive had no luck getting them to shoot 1MOA or less, so I lost interest.

There are some bullets out there that I just wouldn't feel right about shooting at an animal, so I just don't mess with those. I don't like explosive rapid expanders, and since I load for hunting applications, I don't load any match bullets. I like a bullet with relatively controlled expansion that will carve a wound channel all the way through a ribcage. Why? Because that's just what I like.

That means I tend to load bonded core bullets like Accubonds and Hornady Interbonds. My all-around favorite design is the Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Tip, however, I've had a little more luck getting AB's and IB's to shoot accurately. My .308 and 7mm-08 shoot the heck out of the TBT's, but two .270's and a .280 are not great with them. I never really thought about it before, but I guess I do start with bullet design and go from there. If I can consistently hold .75 MOA with a load, I'll hunt with that all day long.

Had some good accuracy with Barnes TTSX in .270s but never shot anything with them yet. And I know Partitions are extremely popular, have been forever. I like the design, but Ive had no luck getting them to shoot 1MOA or less, so I lost interest.
For what it is worth I shoot the 180 gr TBTs out of my Savage and have been very pleased.

This has been my mindset the last few years, when i first started hunting i never looked at bullet design, i thought a hunting bullet was a hunting bullet.

Personally, i'm looking for accuracy, and quick clean kills.
I couldn't give 2 dingles about "proper weight retention"!
Biggest crock of BS that was started by some gun rag writer. Probably the same person that claimed the 284 Win couldn't keep up with non existent bullets in a 270.
And i've witnessed deer shot multiple times (5-6) in the chest cavity before finally expiring from Coreloks.
Along with tracking for extended lengths, deer shot in the chest cavity with Barnes bullets.

My go to was and is the Nosler Ballistic Tip. But i've also had good results with Berger VLD-H in 25 and 7mm calibers.

Learn to pick your shots. If i don't have a good shot, then it wasn't meant to be.
I'll use an expanding bullet on a broadside, over "weight retention" on an iffy shot any day!

Personally, i'm looking for accuracy, and quick clean kills.
I couldn't give 2 dingles about "proper weight retention"!
Biggest crock of BS that was started by some gun rag writer. Probably the same person that claimed the 284 Win couldn't keep up with non existent bullets in a 270.
And i've witnessed deer shot multiple times (5-6) in the chest cavity before finally expiring from Coreloks.
Along with tracking for extended lengths, deer shot in the chest cavity with Barnes bullets.

My go to was and is the Nosler Ballistic Tip. But i've also had good results with Berger VLD-H in 25 and 7mm calibers.

Learn to pick your shots. If i don't have a good shot, then it wasn't meant to be.
I'll use an expanding bullet on a broadside, over "weight retention" on an iffy shot any day!
With ballistic tips and bergers have you noticed any lead fragments in your shoulder meat?

No.
The BT actually exit.
Beware hitting the shoulder, especially with an 06'. Punches a hole you can put your fist in!

The Bergers cores were lost in the heart/lungs. Jackets found under offside hide.
My deer at 413 yards with 140gr VLD out of 7mm-08AI made it 20 yards somehow.
Both lungs destroyed, heart in 2 pieces an consistancy of goo. Sprayed blood everywhere!

Daughter with my 257 Roberts using 115gr VLD at about 50 yards. "Deer just kinda poofed up, legs went stiff, and it fell over."
Again both lungs & heart destroyed. Jacket found under offside hide.

Well, i didn't find any lead shavings in the ribs.
The heart and lungs ended up coyote or bear bait.

A lot depends on the Cartridge. In standard Cartridges Nosler BT is excellent.
In Magmuns I like Nosler AB. But it also depends on the Game being hunted.
As a Example in a 30-06 I would rather shoot deer with a 150gr Nosler BT than with a 180gr Nosler AB.

I don't believe you have to buy the Premium bullets for everything and each Bullet style has its place.
Hornady makes excellent bullets as well Sierra.
Shot Placement with a Game bullet equals Game in the Bag, Today's hunters worry to much as lead and copper cup have been killing game for 100 years and will continue.

I think the only way to pick is get what you think you'd like and try it. I've been hunting with Hornady spire point/interlock's for more years than I care to remember. In all those years they have never let me down. I also used Speer Hot Core's years ago in a 7mm Rem Mag and they never let me down. I've tried Sierra and found them to fragile for hunting but couldn't beat them for accuracy. Tried Nosler PT and never liked them. Not particularly accurate and always separated at the core. Back then it was the only bullet Nosler made. Have tried newer Nosler's just one time, 70gr in a 243 and accuracy just wasn't there in my rifle, your's could be different.

If I've a problem with choosing bullet's it that I'm just not willing to change from one that has never failed me. Been about 50 yrs now with Hornady soft point type bullet's and never a failure on the part of a bullet.

Accubond - Wonderful bullet that typically shoots very well in most rifles. Holds together well and penetrates very well also.

Partition - Never a mistake! A classic that is still as good today as it was 40 years ago.

E-tip - Great bullet also. My son uses this in his 6mm Remington and he's taken antelope, deer, and one cow elk with it. It performed like a much larger bullet on his cow and she only took one shot.

I think about what I am shooting at, how far I think that is likely to be, and then pick a bullet that fits those two needs.

If I've a problem with choosing bullet's it that I'm just not willing to change from one that has never failed me. Been about 50 yrs now with Hornady soft point type bullet's and never a failure on the part of a bullet.
My dad is very similar he will find a bullet that shoots well and if it kills deer the way he expects or wants then thats it, thats all he will use. Unfortunately he can't find his favorite 308 ammo/bullet at the moment and has had to buy something different and has been griping about it. Me I tend to overthink sometimes and am not partial to any brand and bullet.

I think about what I am shooting at, how far I think that is likely to be, and then pick a bullet that fits those two needs.
That is probably a great way to go about it, to make sure you have a bullet that will perform on your game and at the distance you want it too.

I would start with ELD-M, ELD-X, Berger, or Serra TMK. Or whatever is the most accurate in your rifle.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back