Yeti GOBOX Collection

How to gauge deer size?

DamascusSteel

I have noticed I tend to missize deer, I almost let a doe walk but shot instead and she was a big doe, a buck came in I actually let him walk but he followed another doe back into the field and I shot this time and he was an even bigger deer. He was old and grey. So how do yall determine how big these deer are? Anybody else have this problem?

Usually with a buck there a few key factors to look for. Sag in the belly. Rounded off shoulders and antlers that are at least an inch and a half out past the ears.

I have noticed I tend to missize deer, I almost let a doe walk but shot instead and she was a big doe, a buck came in I actually let him walk but he followed another doe back into the field and I shot this time and he was an even bigger deer. He was old and grey. So how do yall determine how big these deer are? Anybody else have this problem?

We need to do a test to get to the bottom of your problem. Circle the bucks you think are 'big', and put an 'X' on the ones you think are 'small'...

b2wcdqwaQSuXQuPUa%PLWQ.jpg

I've never been a trophy deer hunter and a lot of bucks I've shot are based on quality of the hunt first then quality of buck.

In your pic. The 2nd buck from the right would get my tag any day. The buck on far right and the buck second from the left would likely get shot if they were alone.

Got any more pics of the one on the left? He has got some weirdness going on.

I don't, but for whatever reason there are a bunch of weirdos in that part of town, there are a number of cactus bucks that never shed their velvet too. These two were near there as well...

Attachments

• IMG_1470.JPG
    IMG_1470.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
You just know. There's no second guessing. If you gotta sit there and think about it then I'd probably pass.

"big" is relative. Wife and I try not to shoot yearling does, but others are fair game! Bucks are easier to judge, bigger antlers, bigger deer (in general)

On does, we look at a couple things, first look is the nose, short stubby nose: yearling. Then neck and body shape. Short neck: yearling, square-ish body: yearling. Longer neck, nose and body that is clearly rectangular: we start thinking about the shot. It's easier if there's a few, you can compare, but solo does, especially smaller ones, often are button bucks

Time in the field looking and studying your quarry. Only way to do it.

If you have to try and make it big(ger) in your mind, it never works. Without multiple deer seen at the same time it can be hard, especially does. On bucks I look for “no neck”, and legs that appear proportionally short.

We have width restrictions...on multiple sightings the same 10 point has given me stretchy pants from broadside and second thoughts facing....thinking legal but not 100% sure. Quarter horse body...guessing a large muscular 3 1/2 years old. Be a fantastic specimen next season.

You just know. There's no second guessing. If you gotta sit there and think about it then I'd probably pass.

This.

I spent the first part of this season trying to talk myself into bucks. Quickly realized if I cant see horns without glass its not worth my time.

"big" is relative. Wife and I try not to shoot yearling does, but others are fair game! Bucks are easier to judge, bigger antlers, bigger deer (in general)

On does, we look at a couple things, first look is the nose, short stubby nose: yearling. Then neck and body shape. Short neck: yearling, square-ish body: yearling. Longer neck, nose and body that is clearly rectangular: we start thinking about the shot. It's easier if there's a few, you can compare, but solo does, especially smaller ones, often are button bucks
The buck i passed on was a good sized body i could tell that much but his horns was real small, apparently just bad genetics because he was the biggest bodied buck I'd killed but was only a small 4 pt. He was old and grey. The doe was as you described long neck and long nose and she was a big doe once i got over there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back