Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

How to defuse a grizzly encounter peacefully?

Every incident is unique. Distance is a friend as well as noise. If hunting, noise is not really ideal so hopefully line of sight is. Sometimes it's a chit sandwich.

Was hiking out of the Bob probably 1-2 am, pitch black, exhausted this past year. Not paying a stitch of attention until my dog stopped me with his growl. Maybe 60-80 yards down the trail a griz was walking my direction. Initially, I didn't know what it was other than eyes that beamed with my headlamp. Then I heard the guttural vocals and felt the chill run down my back. It stopped, a few moments that lasted a life time and the griz stepped off the trail. I watched my dog act similar to a horse. His head followed a pitch black direction... After a few (again, seemed forever) he relaxed and we continued along the trail. Eerie feeling though not the first and likely not the last.
I had my OC in left and gun in right with the right weighted across the left.
If my dog was not with me... I would likely have plowed / stumbled right into him. *First error was hiking out in the dark, tired and not aware of my surroundings - sometimes though... chit happens and we do what we have to do.
I've not tried and not sure if barking like a dog would be beneficial though it's the second occasion I've had a dog with me that was likely a factor to diminish a griz related incident. Then again, the dog's behavior would determine if a dog's a benefit or detriment.

To each his/her own though I'm a proponent of having a quality dog for this specific purpose - if the setting allows.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but how you act depends on the situation.

If you surprise a bear, you do not want to seem like a threat. So you want to appear smaller, move -back away slowly, talk calmly, and avoid eye contact (can be seen as aggressive). If you surprise a bear and it attacks- play dead.

If the bear knows you're there, and that you are human and continues to advance towards you, you want to appear bigger (stand together wave arms, etc), make a lot of noise, consider throwing rocks. You want to make the bear think twice about wanting to engage with you further. Bear is showing predatory behavior which needs to be handled very differently than a surprise encounter. Prepare to fight/shoot/mace, etc.

If bear comes into your tent- it's predatory and you need to fight for your life.

I think having a dog with you can help in some situations, preferably well trained and not roaming away from you, but if you aren't with a dog acting like a dog barking at them wouldn't be good. Talking to them calmly (think bear whisperer) is better, but like said by others really depends on each situation and bear.

Last edited:
I thought some of you guys might be able to relate to this or at the very least get a chuckle from it

We have found ourself face to face a few times and one time I ask my husband "what are you thinking" and he said "I was thinking if you just totally lost your mind and started screaming at him the way you do me sometimes, he would probably move away and leave us alone"

They actually stand up to investigate, get a better look, signs of aggression are ears pinned, biting/popping jaws, swatting the ground, stuff like that. This is a good book behavior and attacks (I recommend the book not Amazon)

I wouldn't recommend barking like a dog, could provoke them, dogs have been known to bring bears to their owners when they engage the bear then run back to you
Great book, and there's a second edition.

I thought some of you guys might be able to relate to this or at the very least get a chuckle from it

We have found ourself face to face a few times and one time I ask my husband "what are you thinking" and he said "I was thinking if you just totally lost your mind and started screaming at him the way you do me sometimes, he would probably move away and leave us alone"
My laugh for the day. Priceless

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but how you act depends on the situation.

If you surprise a bear, you do not want to seem like a threat. So you want to appear smaller, move -back away slowly, talk calmly, and avoid eye contact (can be seen as aggressive). If you surprise a bear and it attacks- play dead.

If the bear knows you're there, and that you are human and continues to advance towards you, you want to appear bigger (stand together wave arms, etc), make a lot of noise, consider throwing rocks. You want to make the bear think twice about wanting to engage with you further. Bear is showing predatory behavior which needs to be handled very differently than a surprise encounter. Prepare to fight/shoot/mace, etc.

If bear comes into your tent- it's predatory and you need to fight for your life.
I don't think its ever a good idea to try to "appear smaller" or subservient. A lot of close encounters with griz/brown bears are with adolescents who may not have previously encountered a human. Young bears are inquisitive and still getting a sense of how they fit in an environment that no longer includes an all knowing mother. As such, smaller nonthreatening animals may be good to eat and you won't know until you try.

I've only had one encounter w/a sow & cub in the last 4 yrs in MT, I think each situation will present itself differently, rehearse your reaction in your head alot and practice drawing bear spray is what we do.

I will say it was a good learning experience, when I'm in grizz country now my senses are usually on high alert and I hunt alot slower and typically see more elk that way....

I don't think its ever a good idea to try to "appear smaller" or subservient. A lot of close encounters with griz/brown bears are with adolescents who may not have previously encountered a human. Young bears are inquisitive and still getting a sense of how they fit in an environment that no longer includes an all knowing mother. As such, smaller nonthreatening animals may be good to eat and you won't know until you try.
I guess, I wouldn't classify that kind of encounter as "defensive" but more predatory. In a defensive situation when you surprise a bear (sow w/cubs for example), you suggest being more assertive/dominate/threatening?

I don’t have much to add, like Cheyenne and others have said each encounter will be different. Complacency is often but not always the problem that causes an encounter to go side ways. I know two very experienced guides who have survived getting mauled. Both will tell you they screwed up.
Bears should always be regarded as potentially dangerous and you should be considering defensive options any time you find yourself inside fifty yards. I’ve clients I’ve guided for nearly 20 years that comment “you never take them for granted , do you” I’m not saying start shooting; but get your team gathered up, stop fishing or skinning, make some noise, particularly if the bear is up wind. Bears are very smart but they don’t recognize a gun shot as anything more than a loud scary noise. Since my first close encounter/DLP back in about 1961, ( I was six and “ helped with my little .22) I’ve seen or fired 100s of warning shots, my opinion, save your ammo. A loud long blast on a police whistle or an air horn works better. If the bear knows you’re there and keeps coming, following the shore line for example, get out of his way. Get your weapons ready.
Generally I will move 45 to 90 degrees to the bear and up hill if possible. I never turn my back, I talk in low tones and tend to focus on his nose. If the bear is not agitated, yawning, popping jaws, huffing- believe me you’ll recognize agitation when you see it, I’ll move about 20 yards off his line, let him pass and then return. If he’s agitated I’ll give more room and if possible given the terrain I’ll just hike past the bear and return to the trail. If looping around the bear won’t work due to terrain or he immediately follows the game changes.
At that point we go defensive. In the past Ive tried to keep moving from a following bear dropping packs or other non-vital things to distract the bear. Just resulted in gear getting torn up. No way to out walk or out run the bear, I’ll stand my ground after 20 to fifty yards of “respect” I’ll instruct my clients to look big and I’ll step forward sounding angry, looking big. I went through a period where I got really aggressive, a client said I went all gangster on a bear. Now I simply move out of his way, stand my ground convey I’m willing to fight then it’s up to him. ( again that’s only if I can’t simply avoid and move around the bear. I’ve sprayed a lot of bears from 12 feet to about 20 yards. I’ve never really worried about the wind if I had to use it. I just don’t stand there and wait for it to blow back. If I have the wind I’ll blast a fairly aggressive bear at 15 or 20 yards. I’ve let them get closer with the wind in my face.
My guiding career was interrupted by 20 years in SWAT and as a defensive tactics instructor. I know what to expect if I’m impacted and how to fight through it. Best to just spray and move.
Unlike the Parkie in the video if I’m spraying I also have my pistol out. Absolutely impossible to be in spray range and draw and fire accurately if spray didn’t work.
A close encounter will create a significant emotional event in most people. When people are under stress they do weird shit. When everyone starts yelling hey bear it can quickly start to sound like panicked screaming, think predator calling. I’ve had people start screaming at the bear, their voices go up several octaves and they sound like a six foot cotton tail. You may have to calm the bear and calm your crew. That kind of sound WILL get the bears attention.
Every body, every book, says make noise on the trail, you do not need to sound like a marching band, I always try to get people telling funny stories as laughter carries well and it doesn’t carry the tone of fear. Regardless, normal full voiced talking will let the bear know you are around.
I used a training mantra when working with my SWAT guys and with my young guides.
THE BODY WILL NEVER GO WHERE THE BRAIN HAS NEVER BEEN.

Skimming through responses:
I no longer throw rocks. Beaned a big sow one time. Really pissed that bear off.
We have always had dogs in camp, saved many an encounter.
Be comfortable with your equipment, make sure it works.
They like cup cakes and Gatorade.
If you are in Federally protected ground, wild life refuge, national parks the parkies will cite you for throwing rocks or warning shots. Seen it happen.
Never appear submissive, other then moving off line.
If you are talking, the bear has your sent, you did not surprise him. Plan accordingly.
Spray works
So do handguns
For twenty years I’ve documented about 50 to 100 close contacts with bears each year; I’m no expert, every event has been unique.
I can’t tell you when to shoot.

Attachments

• 2150F38E-01ED-4C54-B428-819D96F210EA.jpeg
    2150F38E-01ED-4C54-B428-819D96F210EA.jpeg
    493.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 9BD271D4-05A2-4406-98E9-4EB92E312212.jpeg
    9BD271D4-05A2-4406-98E9-4EB92E312212.jpeg
    509.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 91C0A9A4-3A9A-4FF5-A678-0C006B495426.jpeg
    91C0A9A4-3A9A-4FF5-A678-0C006B495426.jpeg
    362.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 226485AD-D388-42D0-A63A-AE9BCDFBE3A2.jpeg
    226485AD-D388-42D0-A63A-AE9BCDFBE3A2.jpeg
    881.4 KB · Views: 78
  • ACB19D7F-65D0-4D96-B18A-B28BB1EFF3CA.jpeg
    ACB19D7F-65D0-4D96-B18A-B28BB1EFF3CA.jpeg
    801.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 0E2C1153-4BE3-48AD-A557-DD5D4D5C3DCA.jpeg
    0E2C1153-4BE3-48AD-A557-DD5D4D5C3DCA.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:
I don't really wanna find out with a grizzly since my understanding is they are far more aggressive than black bear. A that I asked a similar question told me that even in deep grizzly country, you are more likely to deal with a moose charge than a grizzly charge. I experienced a bluff charge from a black bear long time ago but nothing seriously. I think you have to be aware but don't get wrapped around the axle in fear of them.

I don’t have much to add, like Cheyenne and others have said each encounter will be different. Complacency is often but not always the problem that causes an encounter to go side ways. I know two very experienced guides who have survived getting mauled. Both will tell you they screwed up.
Bears should always be regarded as potentially dangerous and you should be considering defensive options any time you find yourself inside fifty yards. I’ve clients I’ve guided for nearly 20 years that comment “you never take them for granted , do you” I’m not saying start shooting; but get your team gathered up, stop fishing or skinning, make some noise, particularly if the bear is up wind. Bears are very smart but they don’t recognize a gun shot as anything more than a loud scary noise. Since my first close encounter/DLP back in about 1961, ( I was six and “ helped with my little .22) I’ve seen or fired 100s of warning shots, my opinion, save your ammo. A loud long blast on a police whistle or an air horn works better. If the bear knows you’re there and keeps coming, following the shore line for example, get out of his way. Get your weapons ready.
Generally I will move 45 to 90 degrees to the bear and up hill if possible. I never turn my back, I talk in low tones and tend to focus on his nose. If the bear is not agitated, yawning, popping jaws, huffing- believe me you’ll recognize agitation when you see it, I’ll move about 20 yards off his line, let him pass and then return. If he’s agitated I’ll give more room and if possible given the terrain I’ll just hike past the bear and return to the trail. If looping around the bear won’t work due to terrain or he immediately follows the game changes.
At that point we go defensive. In the past Ive tried to keep moving from a following bear dropping packs or other non-vital things to distract the bear. Just resulted in gear getting torn up. No way to out walk or out run the bear, I’ll stand my ground after 20 to fifty yards of “respect” I’ll instruct my clients to look big and I’ll step forward sounding angry, looking big. I went through a period where I got really aggressive, a client said I went all gangster on a bear. Now I simply move out of his way, stand my ground convey I’m willing to fight then it’s up to him. ( again that’s only if I can’t simply avoid and move around the bear. I’ve sprayed a lot of bears from 12 feet to about 20 yards. I’ve never really worried about the wind if I had to use it. I just don’t stand there and wait for it to blow back. If I have the wind I’ll blast a fairly aggressive bear at 15 or 20 yards. I’ve let them get closer with the wind in my face.
My guiding career was interrupted by 20 years in SWAT and as a defensive tactics instructor. I know what to expect if I’m impacted and how to fight through it. Best to just spray and move.
Unlike the Parkie in the video if I’m spraying I also have my pistol out. Absolutely impossible to be in spray range and draw and fire accurately if spray didn’t work.
A close encounter will create a significant emotional event in most people. When people are under stress they do weird shit. When everyone starts yelling hey bear it can quickly start to sound like panicked screaming, think predator calling. I’ve had people start screaming at the bear, their voices go up several octaves and they sound like a six foot cotton tail. You may have to calm the bear and calm your crew. That kind of sound WILL get the bears attention.
Every body, every book, says make noise on the trail, you do not need to sound like a marching band, I always try to get people telling funny stories as laughter carries well and it doesn’t carry the tone of fear. Regardless, normal full voiced talking will let the bear know you are around.
I used a training mantra when working with my SWAT guys and with my young guides.
THE BODY WILL NEVER GO WHERE THE BRAIN HAS NEVER BEEN.
great commentary. I read it twice

Salmonchaser

I mentioned in my first post on this thread, that I dont know anyone who has confronted more bears than Salmonchaser.

50 to 100 a season, over 20 years. the average of 75 over 20 years is 1500 encounters. I rest my case o_O

And many, perhaps most of this encounters in his adult life were coastal brown bears which average 500 lbs more than the inland grizzly. However in his younger days he saw a few grizzlies as well.

Some of his confrontations each year are also funny, in a addition to scary.

Every time a bear showed up, a firearm was raised. Most bears went their way. A few are now rugs.
This we can relate to :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back