Caribou Gear

How to approach?

TC207

So while out bow hunting on opening day of archery season in MT my friend and I came across an elk bed unlike any I have ever encountered. It was worn down almost to the gravel, and surrounded by several years worth of rubbed trees (going back what appeared to be at least 5-6 years). We went back into that spot this past weekend, after some fresh snow, and followed recent (within the past 12 hours, maybe fresher) tracks from a nearby saddle right to his freshly used bed again. We were moving extremely slowly and quietly, with the wind in our faces. I don't think we spooked him out of the bed, but we may have. His tracks leaving the bed were not running or hurried looking. Our plan is to ignore that spot this last week of archery season, but hunt him for rifle opener. The question is how to approach the situation on opening day.

Wind will be the primary deciding factor obviously. His path into his bed seems pretty consistent coming from that saddle. He appears to have several paths out of his bedding area. The most logical thing seems to me to be to get to leeward (downwind) side of the meadowy area before first light, and sit tight to wait for him to come though heading to his bed. My buddy is of the opinion that we shouldn't be anywhere near there until we can see and shoot, and proceed as though he is in his bed and approach from whichever side favors the wind, either from uphill which would put us at the top of some minor cliffs that his bed is under to try and get a shot from there, or approaching from downhill through the more open timber that he is watching from his bed.

There is nowhere elevated nearby that we can glass the area from. We have never been in a situation like this where we know where a good bulls primary bed is, that he is using regularly

Yes, he was there recently when we first found the bed. Then he was there hours to moments before we were there this weekend. The bed wasn't warm still, but was melted out in the fresh snow, smelled, and had dirt pawed up that hadn't been frozen so wasn't from the day prior.

Ok, that's good. You can try sneaking in on him but it's a long shot. Ambush is an easier option. Get him coming back to the bed in the morning or leaving it at dusk.
He won't stay down all day. My style would be to sneak in on him close enough for a shot. Then wait for him to get up and move around. The odds are lower than the ambush but more rewarding for me. I suggest ambush.

Sneaking in on his bed is tough. There’s a reason he is bedding in that area. I’d try to ambush him on his way to it

Sneaking in on his bed is tough. There’s a reason he is bedding in that area. I’d try to ambush him on his way to it

100% agree^^^^
Deer and elk very seldom choose bedding areas that a predator of any kind could sneak in on them.

If your going to attempt to sneak in I would wait for good shooting light and put your hunting partner on the most likely escape route and hope one of you lay eyes on him or possibly get a shot in the event that you bump him from the bed.

I would try ambushing him on the way out in the evening. If you know his normal morning ritual, then the converse is his ‘normal’ evening ritual. In the morning he is well fed, watered and very wary. In the evening he is hungry and thirsty, potentially less vigilant. I have watched elk rise out of bed, stretch, then literally run a half mile to the seep I was sitting on. Also, this way you sleep in, set up in the bright light of early afternoon and are aware of every visual detail. The other way you get up early, try to sneak in not knowing where they are, sit in the cold darkness as the sunlight slowly reveals details before unseen. I started hunting later in the day to get my wife involved, I’ll never look back.

Send me the GPS coordinates so I can study the problem on Google Earth and puzzle out a solution for you. 😂😂

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back