How tight a group?

Redmt

I'm working up a load for my .300 Win Mag at the same time my buddy is working one up for his 6.5-284. We were out shooting the other day and my best group was .75 off aim point. He was around 1 to 1-1/4. The "discussion" started as to good enough based on the intended target. If your kill zone is 6" in diameter then I would say that 3" group is good enough. He wasn't happy with the 1-1/4. Obviously the more consistently accurate is better but at what point is it good enough?

Depends on the ranges you shoot. If a hunter is disciplined and a hunter sticks to under 300y 1.25 MOA is fine (but I have to say, disappointing in 2022). But if a hunter wants the option for the 450y shot where you just can’t get closer, I would want sub MOA.

Last edited:
Depends on the equipment used. A custom built rifle had better shoot under a MOA. A Ruger from the used gun rack? Just go hunting, it’s good enough…

Also depends on the glass being used.

What happens when you switch rifles?

Lots of factors.

I probably should have added that he is a better than average shooter and the 6.5-284 rifle is an earlier Cooper that has been a problem child. My .300 WM is a Ruger Hawkeye that will shoot much better than I am capable of.

Nice shooting. I’m no Chris Kyle, I was happy with this after making some slight adjustments. 😂

Attachments

• D4C0D0E0-8443-444D-ABAA-97E972DB8071.jpeg
    D4C0D0E0-8443-444D-ABAA-97E972DB8071.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
People worry a lot. You aren't shooting from a bench in the field. What are your groups prone off a back pack or rock or standing off the side of a tree, kneeling with a trekker poles for a rest at 300 yards.

An 1.25 or 1" group isn't adequate? Hahahaha

Guys also spend $1500 on rifle scopes that get used 7 seconds on a hunt. Everybody wants that "edge" for that one hunt a year they go on.

@wllm beat me to throwing the bowhunters under the bus. They practice all year and still lose 25-40% of the animals they shoot.

Last edited:
I have 2 - 6.5x284 savage’s, both are 600 yard guns from the factory. Just keep playing with your loads. I think almost any factory gun with good optics should be able to produce a decent group to kill a elk at 400, Pie plate.
Matt

I think that extra tight groups from the bench are overrated and breed confidence that can be completely unfounded in real life hunting situations. I would not hesitate to hunt with a 1 and 1/4 inch rifle.

I think that extra tight groups from the bench are overrated and breed confidence that can be completely unfounded in real life hunting situations. I would not hesitate to hunt with a 1 and 1/4 inch rifle.
I agree. I used to get bent out of shape about my groupings and head up deer hunting thinking I was going to miss if my rifle wasn't "dialed" perfectly. In reality, a 1 1/2" group at 100 yards is very adequate when the longest shot available to me is 125 yards.

That being said, I do spent much more time at the range prior to my hunts out west when that distance is increased. I still feel confident if my groups are within a 6" circle at 300 yards.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back