Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

How "Tied In" Are You To Your Hunting Area?

GASoline71

I started hunting this unit in WA State since the fall of 1991 when I got back from Desert Storm. I had transferred to NAS Whidbey Island (active duty USN) and befriended one of the older DoD civilian workers there. He invited me along on an elk hunt and that's where it all started for me. The elk fever has been ingrained in me ever since. I've hunted other areas in the past, but always come back to this one as it is my favorite timber hunting haunts. We just returned from a 6 day hunt and we were unsuccessful. But my hunts here are always a "success" in my book. Harvesting an elk is just the icing on the cake.

I have introduced several new elk hunters into the arena by taking them hunting in this spot. I brought my wife with me on her first elk hunt to this spot. I have also brought my stepson, and will someday bring my grandson to this exact same spot.

The attached picture is of a simple carving of my nickname (that I received on active duty... its another story. LOL) that I scratched into that log with a Buck 110 Folding Hunter back in 1993. It is my one "spot" that no one else hunts or knows about until I take them up there. This year I brought along a special person with me. My Father-In-Law. My FIL wasn't a hunter, but he loved guns. He passed away from liver cancer back in June of this year. 2 summers ago, he asked me if I had any guns with open sights to use as a "brush gun". I only have a couple older "non-elk caliber" guns with open sights. So he took me to his gun safe and handed me a Remington 760 Gamemaster chambered in 30.06 with a Williams peep. "Here, try this one when you're up there in the thick stuff." I was honored to use it, and carried it with me that fall to hunt timber. When we returned from our hunt I tried to return the rifle back to him. "Keep it." he said, "It'll get some use if it's with you instead of me." Again I was extremely honored by his generosity.

20191028_110429.jpg

Fast forward to this year, and as my wife and I hiked up to the "Crash Log", we both got a little misty eyed when I lay that rifle on the log next to my scratching. I told him once again "Thank you buddy." and we sat there in silence for a spell. My Father-In-Law Pete was a great man, and I will one day harvest an elk with his beloved rifle.

So, I'd say I'm pretty "tied-in" to the area I call my home woods. I'll always hunt there. :)

Gary

what a awesome story, thanks for sharing. that will make a grown man shed a tear. Very cool topic. I have a few spots in Montana where I have shared some cool memories with family over the past 15 years. We will always go to those spots regardless of what is going on. Same here on our farm, I have a few spots that I will always visit during hunting season, even if I am just sitting and thinking about years past. thanks again.

It is not just about getting your tag filled and loading the pantry.

Thanks for the memorial well told.

Very cool story. Good luck with your next hunt with the 06.

I have a lot of places I am "tied in to". I tend to have an emotional connection to the areas where I have shared great experiences with friends and family. I am, however, a wanderer by nature and am always looking for the secret Shangrila to spend my next great experience with people I love.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back