Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

How steep is too steep?

i checked my steepest spots that i go and they are between 33-50% slope, so 1-1.5ft of elevation per yard of elevation of straight line distance. the longest stretch is just over 600 yds, but usually we can traverse our way up that. 300-400yds at a 50% is the steepest we typically straight line go up. If we're hauling ass, i try to do my 50 step rule (50 steps then rest), but this season it's like 30 steps - or less and pretend i'm listening for elk.
I pretend too. Even if I can't hear anything over the sound of my pounding heart and lungs gasping for air...LOL.

Another hint I used. Go to Google earth pictures and look at the historical photos to see if you can find one with some snow and see if you can see animal trails. They typically have found the easiest way up.

Another hint I used. Go to Google earth pictures and look at the historical photos to see if you can find one with some snow and see if you can see animal trails. They typically have found the easiest way up.
Clever idea, thanks!

Too steep isn’t much fun, I feel like I’ve hit that limit quite shallow (~15 degrees and icy) and quite steep (~80+ degrees - clearly climbing, hopefully roped in). Your equipment and the surface you’re on make all the difference.

I did some ~40 degree today on cedar shake, wasn’t my favorite but we made it.

North Idaho is pretty steep here. Someone mentioned understanding the items you can grab onto, another thing to worry on that steep stuff is how wet is the brush and branches. More than I can count I have slid on a branch or huckleberry brush walking down a steep slope in the morning. The constant energy of finding a good footstep wears on you.

Two weeks ago we climbed 1000 feet and traveled 750 as the bird flies. Had full packs because we were staying overnight. I'm closing in on 57. Trekking poles. Trekking poles. Trekking pools.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back