How old?

I have only seen two bucks that lived more than two years with regressed antler growth. This is one of them. I don't know how old he lived but he is clearly in double digits judging by the number of years I saw him. I don't have pictures from the early year as I didn't have the better camera back then. The second year in the picture is his best year and I found him dead the last year. I should go back and see if I can find a jaw and send it in. I clicked on the one picture too may times and can't figure out how to edit it.View attachment 162783View attachment 162784View attachment 162784View attachment 162785View attachment 162786View attachment 162784
I have about zero desire to hunt eastern MT with 10,000 other people, but I could be convinced to going out there to chase a buck like this. Wow, what a great buck.

3E138494-5240-42B9-BF0C-109159474888.jpeg
4c7bcd2d-487e-4409-b7a7-a70eb56966b7-jpeg.162866

To me the bedded buck above looks much older than the first picture and little to no difference in antler size. Just my opinion, neither are dead so I have no results.

Attachments

• 4C7BCD2D-487E-4409-B7A7-A70EB56966B7.jpeg
    4C7BCD2D-487E-4409-B7A7-A70EB56966B7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 244
Last edited:
I went back and found some pictures to show the older whitetail that had some regression from 7.5 to 8.5.

Pictures aren't great, but should give a general idea.

Here he is at 7.5 before shedding his antlers:
wide8_spread.jpg

Last picture I have of him at 8 on trail camera:
doublewide8d.jpg

To me you can see he lost at least a couple inches on spread, maybe closer to 3 or 4.

Here he is at 7.5 from the side:
wide_8b.jpg

Best picture of him at 8 from the side:
doublewide8b.jpg

You can see on the right side he went from a pretty good tine length on the g3 to just a crab claw.

Some bad field photos:
doublewide_close.jpg

doublewide_down.jpg

For sure the same deer and for sure he regressed from 7.5 to 8.5. Was there other factors involved other than age? It was a dry year the year he was 8.5 but not too much. I had just started feeding protein pellets that year (when he was 8.5) so you would think nutritionally he would have had a better chance to have good antler growth.

I think he dropped close to 10" in score, He only scored 112" at 8.5. Looking it over again he may have dropped less than I thought. I think he gained some on his brow tines that last year.

I'm pretty sure he's 4. He spent his summers around my neighborhood on the edge of town and I first noticed him in 2018. I didn't really take the time to take photos of him that summer but I do have a couple. His body is a little bigger than his buddies, so maybe he is a year older than them. Maybe he is the same age and is just a bigger healthier deer. From my experience, it seems like bucks tend to hang out with bucks that are the same or similar age, so I'm calling him 2.
IMG_5765.jpg

This is him the next year in 2019 when I think he was 3.
IMG_8449_2.jpg
IMG_8493.jpg

This year at age 4 he turned into this.
IMG_1968.jpg
IMG_2104.jpg
IMG_2355.jpg
IMG_2204-2.jpg

This is a classic example of what could happen if more bucks with the right genetics made it past age 3 in Montana. If he lived out of town on public land, he likely would have been killed at age 3 and we would have never got to see him make the big jump at age 4.

Attachments

• IMG_8449.jpg
    IMG_8449.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 2
I think you may be a year short on his age. I think 5 is a good guess even with your series of pictures of him.

One thing that I use to determine age is comparing the hindquarter to the front shoulder. If they are 2 or younger they have a bigger hind quarter than front shoulder, at 3 it is about equal and then from 4 on it seems like their front shoulders are bigger than their hind quarters.

In that first picture with the other bucks his body is bigger and his front shoulders are already as big as his back end. I think he is 3 in that picture.

For sure a beautiful buck though!

I'm pretty sure he's 4. He spent his summers around my neighborhood on the edge of town and I first noticed him in 2018. I didn't really take the time to take photos of him that summer but I do have a couple. His body is a little bigger than his buddies, so maybe he is a year older than them. Maybe he is the same age and is just a bigger healthier deer. From my experience, it seems like bucks tend to hang out with bucks that are the same or similar age, so I'm calling him 2.
View attachment 162944

This is him the next year in 2019 when I think he was 3.
View attachment 162948
View attachment 162947

This year at age 4 he turned into this.
View attachment 162949
View attachment 162953
View attachment 162954
View attachment 162955

This is a classic example of what could happen if more bucks with the right genetics made it past age 3 in Montana. If he lived out of town on public land, he likely would have been killed at age 3 and we would have never got to see him make the big jump at age 4.
Where do you live? 😁

I just got this big old guy in Montana. Essentially just a huge 2 point but he does have a small 3rd point on the one antler. Notice he has a huge body, a neck like a 5 gallon bucket, and a wide broad white nose. I had a biologist age him at 7-8 years by looking at his lower jaw and teeth. Pretty cool buck to me.

David

buck & doe mule deer.jpg

huge 2 point.jpgdeer age.jpg

deer age - jaw.jpg

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones