How much would you pay for...

Moosie

Grand poopa
A Fully guided Deer hunt. Whitetail or Muledeer. (Idaho is the state).

Jsut wondering what a Muledeer or whitetail hunt would be worth to you ?

Also, let me know if you'd never buy a outfitted hunt and why.

I wouldn't pay for a guided hunt on a species that I will get several chances to hunt over my lifetime. Getting to understand the species, and the country is just part of the hunt. But I do have dreams of hunting Africa, Canada, and more trips to Alaska, so most of those would be guided hunts. So, I guess the answer would be.... depends. :D

I'd say a guided deer hunt in Idaho would be worth $2500-$3000ish depending on quality and reputation of the outfitter. The better outfitters with good areas and better trophy potential should fetch more.

I've been on exactly one guided hunt in my life...for white sheep in Alaska. I went in 1995 as a college graduation present to myself. Had a great fire year in 1994 and after learning how to survive on a pretty limited budget...I felt rich. Looking back, it was the best $4700 I've ever spent. The hunt was great, although I did a lot of the work myself. I caped my own sheep while the guide boned all the meat. Packed half of everything, and to tell you the truth, it didnt feel like a guided hunt. My guide Ed Toribio and I really hit it off and both had the same hunting style. It seemed like Ed and I had been hunting together for years. He didnt try to run the show...we just talked over the plan of attack and hunted dall rams.

It was a great time, and honestly, if I had enough extra cash laying around, I'd do a hunt like that every year.

I just personally find it more rewarding to do most of my hunts on my own, for the reasons nmtaxi listed. Plus, the more you do on your own, the more you can do each year. Most everyone I hunt with, myself included, have limited hunting funds.

$0.00

Guiding fees have never been in my budget. I realize that could leave somebody at a big disadvantage. Sometimes you can make up for it by doing your own homework.

I spend a lot of time and money doing my own homework and scouting, it's a big part of the fun even though it can mean lower chances of success.

Not to say that under the right circumstances or with disposable income (that I don't have), I wouldn't consider a guided hunt. It wouldn't be for deer in Idaho though.

Honestly, I wouldn't drop a dime on a guided hunt here in Idaho. There are plenty of places in this state where a person can go get a decent buck without spending the kind of money a guide or outfitter wants for their services. If you want good areas to hunt, just poke your head around some of the other hunting sites and you can get a pretty good idea where most people shoot decent bucks on DIY hunts. I'm always amazed how much information some people blab away and how little is kept to themselves when it comes to productive areas.

If you're talking out of state hunts, then I might consider paying a little for a quided hunt with reputable outfits.

I've hunted with IdahoBugler and he hasn't charged me anything yet and I've learned more from him than anyone else I know and it's not just limited to mule deer. I guess when you live in state like Idaho, there's honestly no need to pay for a guided hunt. Other states yes, Idaho no.

I wouldn't spend anything on a guided deer hunt in idaho. I just have to many tags to fill in my own state. One of which is a deer tag with lots of opportunities.

Nada, zip, zero... I think if a guy has a little experience in any type of terrain/habitat, they can figure out how to hunt it themselves.

Doing the homework is just about as much fun as hunting. If I can get a couple days to figure out the lay of the land I do just fine. Any more with the internet a guy can pretty much get a feel for areas by just BS'n with others who have been in the area. Couple that with boards like this and guys that are willing to share a little info and you're almost set up for success on public land.

We used to hunt E. MT every year for antelope and pretty much hunted a diffrent area every year. I've hunted lots diffrent places for deer to that I never set foot in before I got there. I think once you figure out what type of habitat it takes to hold deer or elk, its pretty much as easy as looking at maps and aerial photo's and you can make a pretty good game plan.

The only guided hunt I've ever been on was a goose hunt here in MD. Didn't cost much I think it was $150 for the day, and IMO I didn't get my moneys worth. All that being said, I wouldn't mind spending the money to do "ranch" type hunt for trophy elk or deer at least once before I die. Just to see what it would be like hunting animals that have had little pressure and had a chance to grow. I would rather pay a "trespass" fee and hunt it myself though rather that being led around by the hand.

OK, An Idaho Hunt for Deer...Buzz was right on on the "Guide Cost", now for the intangibles. Cost of getting there and back..$1200.00, Gas, Hotel, ect. I am now up to $3700 or $4200, at this rate I am either looking to turn it into a combo hunt or I am starting to look at other states. I seldom hunt alone and the cost to my buddies would prevent them from going on such a hunt. John

The only guided hint for muledeer that I would do right now is in Old Mexico. Those bucks in the MuleyCrazy magazine were amazing. Idaho, I don't think so.

It did cost me a little money to pay off WileCoyote to say such nice things though. Thanks for the complements.

Yes, In a state I have not hunted..Alaska, etc. Of course doing it all with my bow.. :D In my own state nope.. I am there doing it now no need to pay someone else. :D

I would pay a guide in AK or Canada for Sheep or Grizzly with my bow(need some back up). But not for Deer or Elk in the lower 48. Possibly old Mexico like Idaho Bugler mentioned. I really enjoy DIY hunts. I like alot of the people on this site have hunted all over the place, and enjoy doing the research and scouting of new areas. When you take an animal from one of these new areas you have a real sense of accomplishment as you are doing all the work yourself. not paying some one to do it for you.

About $3000 for a good quality trophy hunt with high odds of success would be reasonable.

When you don't live in the west, and only have a week or so to hunt muleys each fall, TIME is a very precious commodity. An out of stater might have to hunt 3-4 years before he starts figuring things out in an area, do it yourself hunting. You'll spend that $3000+ on those do it yourself hunts, be 3-4 years older, and may not have any trophies to show for your efforts.

Another benefit is, you can get into private ground that hasn't been all boogered up by the orange army. This can be a huge advantage.

Don't be too quick to knock guided hunting. It makes a heck of a lot of sense in many cases.

I agree with Buzz and Steiny on the price range. Doubt if a good quality trophy hunt could be bought for that though.

For a reputable outfitter and good trophy potential up to 3K, perhaps more for a one on one hunt.

Idaho is a shitty place to guide and be guided. The true value of guides/outfitters is the access they provide, and given that so much of Idaho is public land, then that value is nothing.

We have an Elk Outfitter that sets up about a mile from us. We hike thru his camp in the dark while his customers are still sleeping, leaving tracks in the snow. His customers are paying $3500 to compete with a bunch of Yahoos for the same raghorn bulls. hump

The only way for guides on public lands to add value is if they are providing the stock and the camp, and the hunter needs the services.

For Deer, the easiest way is just to put a GPS sending device on Idaho Bugler's Blue Chevy pick-up and then you know where the big bucks are hanging. Much cheaper than a guide. :D :cool: :D

I know exactly were IdahoBugler hunts Gunner, thats not the issue :) Welcome back Ya ol' timer ;)

I'm asking becaue A deal came up for me to access 30,000 acres of private land for a fee. I know what the Outfiter charges, and this is a Fraction of that, But I'm torn on paying anything.

I do Know guys that Pay $500 on a Drop of a Dime to access land and have heard of others paying a lot more. Dunno if I will but It might happen.

I'm guessing hunting with a Guide won't mean I'm A Slacke hunter ? But maybe because I go once I'll instantly Get a Fat rear end and start drinking the Coffee' late's :)

I'm gonig to do what I want (I always do), But it's interesting to see everyone opinions.

A guys gotta do, what a guys gotta do... :hump: I guess. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a good deal! I've never paid to hunt before, other than the tag fee, gas, food, motel and everything else that comes along with it... Them big bucks that "Everybody" has, ain't exactly easy to come by though either, and if paying a small fee to increase the odds in your favor is your cup of tea. It's your parogative...

You won't be on the receiving end of any bashing from me. :rolleyes: ;) :D

I'd gladly pay a reasonable (or better yet 'bargain') access fee if it restricted the pressure in a desireable area. Sounds like a good deal Moosie.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back