Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

How much is an elk hunt worth to you ?

DudeAbides, the costs for the guided trip are one time, but the equipment that the DIYers use is not for one event, nor limited to just hunting, so it is not quite apples to apples.

I use my tents, sleeping bags and other camping equipment on many campouts throughout the year. I use my day pack, safety pack, knives and binos every single time I go out, even on a day hike. I use my GPS for documentation trips.

The DIY costs are for multi-purpose recreational, continual experiences. So every time we use them, the unit/event cost becomes less. Also, this does not factor for people purchasing used, gifts, sharing, etc.

QFT..... These costs are one time costs and like katqanna stated, over time a hunt will become gas to drive, ammo, tag, and food.Easily less than $1500.

I unfortionately got moved away from my home state of CO and now live in Kali(peoples republic). Due to being deployed alot over seas and a family with a 2 year old to raise my scouting time is hardly existant besides a few days before the opener.

Why I can see the benefits of a guide, the "high fence" hunting is not hunting.

Im going to share a experience I am neither proud of or like to remember getting talked into.I will tell you as a teenager some guys in our old hunting camp said they had a "buddy" that had a "ranch" and if they didnt fill their tag they could go there and try to get one and always did(read on). Long story short we didnt fill any tags, they wanted me to come and said it was a $500 fee for access for me to shoot a cow. My dad stayed behind for what ever reason. Seemed resonable from what they talked about. I showed up and was highly disappointed, it was a high fence ranch.

We drove around his huge ranch, saw bulls, cows etc. I didn't want to take a shot it didnt seem right. Nice guy but I told him this wasn't my cup of tea, the guys my dad sent me with got pissed at me, he kindly told me they'll be no refunds and I told him I was ok with that. The whole time the guys were giving me shit.

Well as we were headed back to the main house I spotted one with a big gash in its right front shoulder probably from jumping a barb wire fence or something, looked swelled up almost the size of a volley ball and nasty and obviosuly she was in alot of pain. I took the shot and dropped her. It was honestly one of the emptyest feelings I've had. I hated that feeling and still do to this day. I killed an animal that had absolutely no way to get away(within the miles of ranch)/ The only thing that makes that day easier to swallow was I put down an wounded animal that was in a world of hurt.

I didn't feel happy, it wasn't hunting. Long story short when I went back to camp to help my dad break camp ( last day of the open season) I told him what happened and how it upset me. The other guys we were with were giving me a ear full of being rude and yadda yadda for telling the guy I disagree with it. We had a fight and never spoke again after.

I hate that being 14, the guys sold it as a ranch, I told me dad I'll empty my savings to do it, and it wasn't what it was. Im disguisted it happened but I was young, the group was dishonest, and my dad wasn't with me so I got pressured into it.

That is the cold hard truth. That isn't hunting. I would love to one day have enough extra income to hire a guide on public land. Not even sure if there is such a thing for public land. Kinda like hiring a fishing guide to learn the land, tricks, and habits to use on my own later. I'd love to learn more about the areas I hunt. The high fence hunting I experienced soured it alot for me.

It wasn't easy sharing this experience but I felt the need to be honest of my experience and maybe save someone the experience and money. I public hunt when I am not overseas(this year I get to hunt in CO next week after 4 years of missing hunting).

Many will hate me but it is what it is, I wish I could change my young past but I cant.

This. I could do two moose hunts in Newfoundland for that much, too. I will stay with my does and cows and save the money.

Exactly. I was just looking at a fly in self guided/managed camp set up in Alaska for Caribou and its around 3 grand. For the 15 grand they were asking, you could go to Africa and hunt most of the plains species outside of the Big 5 and still have cash left over for booze.

Maybe its because elk are on OUR landscape, but 15 large for a elk that I could get on a self guided hunt on public or private land is absurd.

Don't be so quick to judge fellas. While I have no doubts that in some situations you are definatly paying for antler score and an "easy" hunt. However, there is nothing wrong with using a guide service in various situations. For information I just completed a DIY first season hunt in CO where we applied for points, looked at maps, called the biologist, looked at statistics, the whole 9 yards. Backpacked in on public national forest and packed out our elk on our backs. So I've been there and done that and loved every minute of it and gained a huge level of satisfaction on the hunt. But how about if I wanted to have an elk hunting experience with my father who has had both hips replaced and has extremely arthritic knees and absolutely could not hunt elk other than if we saved our money and paid for a guide service. How about the guy who couldn't take two weeks vacation to make the 20+ hour drive from the midwest, scout a couple areas they had never seen before, take a couple days to pack in, hunt hard, spend a few days packing out meat, then drive 20+ hours again. Perhaps they are new to hunting and really want a chance to enjoy the majesty of a Western Elk hunt. That or they cannot find a hunting partner and to go about an Elk hunt alone would not be a save endeavor. There are varying opinions and situations just remember we are all on the same side and to respect one another as sportmen.
I agree with you whole hearted. I fit a scenario that you described.... Being from Michigan, I have started to collect points to (one day) go on a western elk hunt. However, I have no male relatives that hunt, and a few of my longtime hunting buddies have no desire to hunt anything other than Michigan whitetails. Its a shame, because they dont know what their missing, even after I showed them a pic of my 1st Montana muley (descent), that I got with another friend- (not sure if hes up for an elk hunt). They all got $ issues as well. So, as you said, for myself being a first time elk hunter, I think my only option is to hire a guide to kinda show me the ropes. Being self taught is rewarding, but I feel that I would learn the "smart" way from someone that does this everyday. I'll do what I can to learn as much as I can, but I clearly know my limits. Packing out (if your blessed enough), getting lost/hurt, etc. all play a role if your by yourself and thats something I dont care to deal with all alone.

No one got on the cover of outdoor life for saving their money and vacation for years to drive 24 hours though the night to shoot a respectable branch antlered bull that they hunted for 10 days while living out of a tent on mountain house.

If that's how you got on the cover I'd be subscribing. It just doesn't feel like elk hunting without the aforementioned situation

Speaking for myself, and probably others too, I don't think anyone is knocking someone that utilizes a guide/outfitter to go on a hunt because they are only going to do it occasionally and don't want to sink the money into gear and scouting. I get that, and if I lived back east and had the cash would probably do it too if I wasn't going to hunt elk every year.

The issue that I see is that guys are willing to pay a shit ton more money to kill a huge bull versus just experiencing an elk hunt.

If you have the money for it and want to, go for it. But let's be honest, the big antlers for many are just a bragging topic.

If I had the scratch I'd do like Dinkshooter said. I'd hunt elk for several months straight. But, I still wouldn't do it with a guide and I wouldn't pay extra for a privileged opportunity at oversized bulls. However, I'm not that smart and that's just me.

IMHO, elk hunting is all about the experience. I did a DIY hunt and ended up killing a nice bull. Granted it is not the caliber of bull you find on the cover of all the magazines, but for me, I got so much personal gratification out of the whole thing, that I could never justify spending that kind of money. I am totally happy with any legal bull or cow, and the bull I shot was a trophy for me.

Granted, I too dream of the day that I get lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and a monster bull steps into my shooting lane. But, I also know that may not happen and I am totally fine with that.

To spend that kind of money on an elk hunt is not my idea of hunting. Personally, I would rather spend that money on good equipment for me and my kids so we can enjoy some hunts together. To me, there are more important things than big antlers hanging on the wall.

However, if I also feel that you have to maximize your experiences in life, no matter what. If that means that you need to hire a guide to do that--then so be it. When you look around at the people spending money on things, you might be amazed at the things people spend money on. It's all about their perspective versus yours. If they have the money, they might be eating steak and lobster every night, while others who don't have that kind of money are eating Ramen noodles on most nights but save up to have a good meal on a special occasion--(birthday, anniversary, etc..) It doesn't mean that anyone is better than the other, it simply means that people live differently.

People wouldn't be charging those outrageous prices if there weren't other people out there willing to pay it.

Many will hate me but it is what it is, I wish I could change my young past but I cant.

Actually, I would say that at 14 you displayed more heart and hunting ethics than the adults.

This is a big reason on why high-fence operations are so insidious. Some folks (not barracudamuscle, obviously) will pass that "kill" as an ethical harvest of wild game. Pretty disgusting.

Thanks for sharing the story.

Speaking for myself only I I don't see where there could be any satisfaction or sense of accopmlishment in simply shooting a deer or elk that the guise or outfitter has already found and been keeping an eye on.
If someone wants to hunt like that it is entirely their choice and I do not hold it against them. If they think that's the only way they can kill a bull and they can afford it more power to them. Perhaps age or health may be a factor.
There is a local guide in Northern Arizona that guided the Governor's tag holder 2 or 3 years ago that told us the guy flew in on his private jet in the morning and then was taken to the area where a gigantic bull was being baby sat. They found it in a few hours and the guy shot it. They took pics and slapped the tag on it. The guy left on his jet the same day, told the guide to ship the mounted head when it was done and do whatever he wanted with the meat.
Of course the guide was more than happy because he got a HUGE bonus in cash because his client didn't want him to have to pay taxes on it.
That is not my idea of hunting.
Between my brother and I we have killed 6 elk, 3 cows and 3 bulls and I'm not talking raghorns either. All DIY on public land and the sense of pride is enormous.

Last edited:
I agree with you whole hearted. I fit a scenario that you described.... Being from Michigan, I have started to collect points to (one day) go on a western elk hunt. However, I have no male relatives that hunt, and a few of my longtime hunting buddies have no desire to hunt anything other than Michigan whitetails. Its a shame, because they dont know what their missing, even after I showed them a pic of my 1st Montana muley (descent), that I got with another friend- (not sure if hes up for an elk hunt). They all got $ issues as well. So, as you said, for myself being a first time elk hunter, I think my only option is to hire a guide to kinda show me the ropes. Being self taught is rewarding, but I feel that I would learn the "smart" way from someone that does this everyday. I'll do what I can to learn as much as I can, but I clearly know my limits. Packing out (if your blessed enough), getting lost/hurt, etc. all play a role if your by yourself and thats something I dont care to deal with all alone.

Absolutely is a plan for getting an animal on the ground. The odds you go on your first elk hunt solo on public land and get a representative bull is very, very low. I strongly suggest anyone hunting a new species for the first time to not go solo. The learning curve can be brutal and even life-threatening. I grew up hunting the same chunk of land and even year to year the animals would behave differently depending on several factors so merely heading to where the critters were last year is not a sure fire strategy.

I have been successful solo when hunting a new species but I tend to only put in for tough to draw hunts and put in for lots of hunts knowing I may not draw any. The one or two tags I draw each year tend to have over 50% historical harvest rates, low tag numbers and ample public ground. These are not typical hunts you can get OTC or draw repeatedly. I use Huntin' Fool to get a list of prior hunters and since most of the hunts are so hard to draw then my experience has been the prior hunters have no reason to not share info on what they saw, where they camped, etc.

I prefer to see lots of critters each day, too, so beating myself up climbing steep ridges on wild goose chases is not nearly as fun as when the knees were better and I enjoyed being sore for days after a hunt ended.

Good luck on your hunts.

Speaking for myself only I I don't see where there could be any satisfaction or sense of accopmlishment in simply shooting a deer or elk that the guise or outfitter has already found and been keeping an eye on.
If someone wants to hunt like that it is entirely their choice and I do not hold it against them. If they think that's the only way they can kill a bull and they can afford it more power to them. Perhaps age or health may be a factor.
There is a local guide in Northern Arizona that guided the Governor's tag holder 2 or 3 years ago that told us the guy flew in on his private jet in the morning and then was taken to the area where a gigantic bull was being baby sat. They found it in a few hours and the guy shot it. They took pics and slapped the tag on it. The guy left on his jet the same day, told the guide to ship the mounted head when it was done and do whatever he wanted with the meat.
Of course the guide was more than happy because he got a HUGE bonus in cash because his client didn't want him to have to pay taxes on it.
That is not my idea of hunting.
Between my brother and I we have killed 6 elk, 3 cows and 3 bulls and I'm not talking raghorns either. All DIY on public land and the sense of pride is enormous.

There is a difference in most guided hunts that I know of than the one that you described.

I think of Mossback in Utah, the way you described that outfitter. Though, I have heard that Mossback is shady, I haven't experienced any truth to that. What I do know is they send a crap ton of time in the field and basically know every big animal in the state of Utah.

Most guided public land guided hunts are hunting, because other non guided people have access to the same animals as you do. You will have the upper hand, because you are going with someone who knows the area.

Do it yourself is a great option and guided is a great option.

They are both means to get out in the woods and experience nature with the goal of putting meat in the freezer.

QFT..... These costs are one time costs and like katqanna stated, over time a hunt will become gas to drive, ammo, tag, and food.Easily less than $1500.

That is true. "Over time"

If you plan on hunting the west every 3-5 years, it would be wise to purchase the proper equipment.

If you are only going to do it once or twice in your lifetime, it may be wise to just go with the outfitter.

People hunt for different reasons, and as long as they do it within the bounds of the law I'm generally okay with it. High fence hunting is the one area that I just can't get onboard with.

I enjoy this site because the views and style of hunters here are similar to the way I like (or would like) to do things.

While some of the high dollar amounts being thrown around make me uncomfortable, I think the topic is a little more complex than some make it out to be.

I don't think its right to condemn the heart surgeon, dentist, attorney for liking to hunt just as much as you and I do. My hope is that they aren't on hunting forums all day, and spending 4 months a year in the field looking for that perfect buck/bull....I hope they are focused on their craft so that when my son/daughter/wife needs them the most, they are prepared and ready to help them.

I think you can "earn" the right to hunt through contributing to society every bit as much as you can through boot leather, scouting, and DIYing.

At my age and physical condition, I would definitely consider a guided hunt,

I have not drawn a elk tag ever. At least 20 years applying. Resident only in New Mexico. I apply in units that at 33% chance and haven't drawn. Sucks.

I can afford the $15,000 hunt, but will not pull the trigger. I cannot pay for something that should be free.

I am 62. By 65, I will probably spent the money,

I have seen trophy elk while deer hunting and it hurts.

The answer of course Is to go out of state. I like hunting in New Mexico and like the knowing the area I am hunting in.

Not complaining. This is life,

New Mexico has been kind in other ways.. 3 Oryx hunts, wonderful. But, want to shoot an elk. I am considering the cow elk on the Mescalero reservation. Used to be $300; I think currently is $600 or above. Bull starts at $10,000,

In Colorado with the hunter successful rate for elk at 21% I can see where a lot of hunters would want to pay an outfitter or trespass fee to hunt. I hope I have the statistics correct but half of the elk killed are cows and calves. Hunters that are able to get into the Ranching for Wildlife program have a much better chance of filling their elk. Also there is a late cow season that runs from December 1 to January 31. This season is on private land only and has become a favorite for hunters that just want to fill their freezer. Most of you probably already know about this information but thought I would pass it along to some that are not familiar with Colorado.

I wonder if the guys who drop coin on big money guided hunts ever envy the guys who do it DIY on a budget.

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't like to try a guided hunt some time. Fact is I have no where near that much extra cash to spend so I am "reduced" to hunting public land and BMA's (which may as well be public land). Highly doubtful I'll shoot HUGE bulls / bucks consistently on the lands I hunt, but I won't complain about the opportunities I have.

+1 and agree 100%

I know folks that would pay near $10k for a week at one of the lodges w/the food and service here in NM,no hunting involved.
I know of some $10-15k hunts here in NM.
Most of the good outfitters I know get $3-5k.
I know guys that pay 60k for a PU truck every other year.....and they're accountants/lawyers.In cities.

I pay around $200 for my NM Lic/elk/deer/stamps,etc each year.
I have drawn a MB tag 10 of 12 yrs recently.5-33%odds.(BobbyDean,what units?) Deer just about every year.
DIY with Me,Myself,and I.....
I do have a nice little ranch surrounded by lots of public lands. And that cost a bit more than my $10k for the 1st 10 acres and home.
But I worked my whole life to get it and I use it and all the gear I need for hunting at times ,just to get to the gate.....perspectives!

Last edited:
I'm going to play the other side of this because I'll be going on a 15k+ hunt next year in Canada. Now a little about me before people pass judgement, up until a couple years ago I earned you typical wage as a business analyst. A couple years ago I started my own business and that business took off, it's been going good for a while. Because of that business it has allowed me things that with my day time job I wouldn't have been able to do. Now just because I have some money doesn't mean that I go and buy fancy stuff all the time. I still drive an '07 Ford Escape and have an '01 chevy 2500hd. This summer was the biggest purchase we made since starting the business a couple years ago which was a new car for the warden and it was '15 equinox and just the LT version.

Yes I am going on a 15k hunt, and I can afford it , however I will also be doing a few DIY hunts too. Now anyone on here implying that someone who can afford a 15k isn't as much of a hunter as someone who DIY's is full of chit, get over yourself. I don't think I'm any better than one else and no one should think they are better than me, whether it be in life in general or hunting. I've worked my ass off for what I have. I probably work more in one week than most people do in 2-3 weeks, those of you who own you own business know what I'm talking about. It's not easy. One thing I've learned over the last year due to a tragedy in my life is that life is way to short to worry about what other people think and if you have the money to do something you want, go for it. So yea, I'm going on a guided hunt where someone is basically going to walk me through everything and tell me what I should shoot, why because as I've stated, I work my ass off and think I should be able to spend a little on myself and that's what I'm going to do.

Back