Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

How many trips for a solo pack-out

I try not to carry more than about half my body weight (including my pack/gear/water/food), it's just too hard on your body. I weigh 170lbs, so a bull elk takes 4-5 trips.

I agree with others, best to pack a bull in 3-4 trips.

I have packed mature cows, all boned, in one trip and probably not smart to do. I also think its pretty dumb to not pack them out in 2 trips, very manageable and I cant remember the last time I shot a cow that didn't come out in 2 trips.

I agree with others, best to pack a bull in 3-4 trips.

I have packed mature cows, all boned, in one trip and probably not smart to do. I also think its pretty dumb to not pack them out in 2 trips, very manageable and I cant remember the last time I shot a cow that didn't come out in 2 trips.
Everyone has their own limits, and there are many variables like the size of the cow, terrain, and weather, but I don't think it's dumb at all. The cow I mentioned in my post yielded just over 200lbs of boned out meat (I also pack out rib and neck meat as well as the heart and liver while most probably don't). Carrying a 100 pound pack through rough terrain is dangerous for most people, especially alone and I would much rather go in for another trip than risk injury.

Old cows that live past 7 or 8 years can be pretty dang big, 500+ lbs.

Some sage advice on here. I don’t like my pack over 110 pounds including gear and pack. When it gets above that I don’t think it’s worth the ultimate strain on my hips and legs. It also makes tumbling/injury a higher likelihood. For me, that typically means 4-5 trips for a mature bull.

I go bone-in and do four trips for a bull. A lot of my packouts are uphill.

Everyone has their own limits, and there are many variables like the size of the cow, terrain, and weather, but I don't think it's dumb at all. The cow I mentioned in my post yielded just over 200lbs of boned out meat (I also pack out rib and neck meat as well as the heart and liver while most probably don't). Carrying a 100 pound pack through rough terrain is dangerous for most people, especially alone and I would much rather go in for another trip than risk injury.

Old cows that live past 7 or 8 years can be pretty dang big, 500+ lbs.

Here we go with the huge cow contest...right in line with mule deer does being as big as cow elk.

I think this is about average for a mature cow...I stayed completely off the shoulders and packed this one boned in one trip:

1115161515.jpg

Got this one out this fall in 2 trips with bones in:

IMG_3454.jpg

All these were taken out half at a time a few weeks back, all mature cows:

FC3DF179-4D66-419B-BE29-465591B9F780.jpeg

D5D61BDC-DE71-4D9F-89F7-666CB7BAB8A3.jpeg

89AFCC9E-9F92-4F31-9CB9-796CCC921F07.jpeg

I packed this one for my buddy George, a 1.5 year old cow...he packed a front, I got both hinds, the other front, neck, loins, etc. in one trip.

IMG951118.jpg

I don't know how many elk I've packed, but its a pile and I have never seen a cow elk in my life that would require more than 2 trips for the average sized hunter to pack.

I bone mine out, and 3 can be an absolute MOFO w/the head also.

put a $50 or $100 in your pack in the event you need to get help from some horses from a nearby camp.

last year the day after I shot my bull it was unseasonable hot at 90 degrees, luckily I had help from 2 people and we brought it all out in one trip, had I been by myself I would have paid horses to haul it out, or the meat would have spoiled....

4 trips total. 2 for myself and 2 for my partner. I like to keep bone in to cut up at home in a clean environment and use bones for stocks. Packs are broke down like this.

2 Hind quarters= 2 loads
2 front quarters = 1 load
Head/loins/loose meat = 1 load

So many variables. If I have the time and weather I prefer 4 to 5 trips for a bull and 3 for a cow. I've done 2 trip for a small bull and a couple cows, but it sucks. I tend to worry about the long term affects of packing over 2/3 of my body weight. I prefer to keep it to around 1/2.

For me it’s 3 for bulls, 2 for cows.

Edited to add: that's without cape.

Last edited by a moderator:
The older I get the more trips I take, walking out with 50-60 lbs is pretty minimal work, it just feels like a walk in the woods which I enjoy, if it feels like hard work I have too much...

That said I have packed a decent sized cow boned out, in one load, I was worried about it spoiling as it was early in archery season and it took a while to find, that one on a scale was 162 lbs. definitely not recommended...

Also got an 8.5 year old bull that took 5 loads that were all over 100#, that may be the worst solo pack I have done, I have never seen an elk even close to that size...

The average for me these days is 4/5 loads depending on the terrain, I usually take at least one femur for the marrow, and these days I take the tongue every time, another couple pounds of deliciousness! if I am going to bone the quartes out I prefer to leave them hanging with the bone in overnight first if possible, I've had some really tough meat if it is boned out immediately.

The older I get the more trips I take, walking out with 50-60 lbs is pretty minimal work, it just feels like a walk in the woods which I enjoy, if it feels like hard work I have too much...

That said I have packed a decent sized cow boned out, in one load, I was worried about it spoiling as it was early in archery season and it took a while to find, that one on a scale was 162 lbs. definitely not recommended...

Also got an 8.5 year old bull that took 5 loads that were all over 100#, that may be the worst solo pack I have done, I have never seen an elk even close to that size...

The average for me these days is 4/5 loads depending on the terrain, I usually take at least one femur for the marrow, and these days I take the tongue every time, another couple pounds of deliciousness! if I am going to bone the quartes out I prefer to leave them hanging with the bone in overnight first if possible, I've had some really tough meat if it is boned out immediately.

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like 4-5’s the avg got a bull and 2-4 for a cow. I Like the idea of leaving a cart on the nearest trail. And sounds like dead falls and terrain make a huge difference on how much you want on your back!!! Thanks again.

I guess I'm wimpy, but I usually do 3 trips (bone-in) for a cow, especially if I have some gear along for the first trip. My preferred scenario is about 3-4" of powdery snow and one of these to get it all in one trip.
IMG_E6199[1].JPG

Did my 2.5 year old bull in three trips this year from 1.5 miles in, all meat was bone-in.
First Trip: Hind quarter and antlers/head
Second Trip: Hind quarter and front quarter
Third Trip: front quarter and backstraps, tenderloins, neck meat

Hauled half of my buddy's cow out bone-in from 2.5 miles in one trip the same day as loads 2 and 3 from my bull above. With a good pack (I was using the Exo K3 4800) and some good training ahead of time its not that bad. Granted my legs were tired the next day but it was doable.

2 days later I hauled out a hind quarter (bone-in) and the head/antlers of my other buddy's 3.5 year old bull from 2.5 miles in. That is the one in the pic. Packing.jpg

🤨

Your cow was the same size as the average bull taken by most hunters each year.

... plausible, but that is not what one should expect.

Source
View attachment 124770
Not sure why the meat yield from my old cow would be that surprising to anyone. Below is from the study you posted in reference to the above table.

"Because field dressed weights often vary within age class, boneless meat yield can also vary as much as 20 pounds from the averages listed."

So according to that table, anyone who shoots a cow 8 years or older should expect to get anywhere from 157-217 pounds of boneless meat. I don't think my elk was some rare record breaking cow that would win any "huge cow contest." She was probably just old and average for her age. So not only is it plausible, it is what someone should expect if they shoot an older age class female Elk.

My horses are looking better all the time after reading thru the thread. I generally take the quarters bone in and bone everything else. Some years ago, when hunting solo, I got all the meat out from nice cow in one trip on the horse in the avatar. He was a big strapping gelding. We were in a bit over 4 miles, a change in the weather coming,,,blah blah, blah. It was a big load but we made it.

Generally, I prefer to load half an elk on a horse. That doesn't seem like it's very tough duty for them if they are being led down a mountain.

Not sure why the meat yield from my old cow would be that surprising to anyone. Below is from the study you posted in reference to the above table.

"Because field dressed weights often vary within age class, boneless meat yield can also vary as much as 20 pounds from the averages listed."

So according to that table, anyone who shoots a cow 8 years or older should expect to get anywhere from 157-217 pounds of boneless meat. I don't think my elk was some rare record breaking cow that would win any "huge cow contest." She was probably just old and average for her age. So not only is it plausible, it is what someone should expect if they shoot an older age class female Elk.

140lb - 180lb, for a 5 year old, assuming you field butcher at the level of a professional butcher. Assuming hunters keep only the required portions your average 5 year old cow taken is going to be in the 140-160 range. I bet the average hunter packs out 100-120lbs of meat off a cow.

"Oldham did have data on cow harvests though. The data looked at late season private property hunts in Middle Park from 2004 through 2014. During that time period fully 50 percent of the cows taken were five years old or younger "

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papretzelman
Back