Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

How many miles?

Info has been exchanged just so everyone knows. At the end of the day we all choose to hunt differently for our given reasons. I’ll just keep doing me and you do you! And we will likely both keep filling our freezers. Some day I’ll probably choose the less physical taxing route but for now I enjoy the suffer fest, I look forward to it year round. Here’s to heavy packs and having differing opinions.

Work smarter not harder!
There is no reason people need to be hiking 8+ miles per day unless they are hiking to a specific area. If you do your research and figure areas that will likely hold elk it will be significantly less mileage. An average day for me during archery season is 5 miles per day after getting established. And maybe 3-4 miles per day for rifle after getting settled in to a spot. But mind you I might hike 3-16 miles to get to that location to start with.
You pack out elk 16+ miles each way back to the truck?

A lot of stupid ass comments. Does it really matter how far you hiked if you successfully harvested your target animal and got the meat out. This is why I like to hunt solo. Everyone hunts differently, and everyone thinks they hunt the best. Do you and enjoy being out in the woods.

Looks like most of my days last September were 6-8 miles, not much opportunity to sit and glass stuff like thisView attachment 312261
This

A lot of open country bias in this thread.
In NW Montana, N. Idaho, Western Washington and Oregon the game is different.
6 miles is a HUGE day for me.

My spotter rarely leaves the truck. 6 or 7 of my rifle killed elk were less than 50 yards. Its about picking the area apart more than covering miles.

Depends where you hunt in my experience. Longest distances for me were in Idaho, the Selway where we hunted was nasty thick. Required lots of miles. Shortest day was 8 miles, longest was 14 miles. There was only a couple glassing opportunities. The areas I've hunted in Montana have been a lot better, 2-6 miles a day depending on the area. Significantly more glassing opportunities there.

Yeah, I kind of regret commenting on this one. No intentions to join in the dick measuring contest. I like discussing hunting methods and hearing how different people find success. I got the shuttle hunt idea from an old timer that used to kill some big deer getting dropped off on one end of a mtn range and hunting his way down to the next rig. Helped me be more successful and thought I'd post it up on here. I don't think distance is as much of a factor and some guys make it out to be (interpret that comment however you see fit lol).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back