MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

How many miles?

Hiking 4 miles an hour with a pack, rifle, and off trail on anything with a slope...yeah, that's hauling the mail.

I think you need to take about 50% off there Squirrely Dan.
Salty old farts get an automatic 50% pace reduction credit. I think these young guys think km on their tracking devices stands for miles.😁

About 4 miles a day if it’s “easy”walking. Shot one this year 700 yards from the camp and truck. My buddy shot one 2 miles straight line from the truck. He likes to walk and I like to glass and wait. I don’t think I want to pack one more than 2 miles.
I agree with your description of a realistic hunt. Two miles straight line could mean four miles in terrain that's up and down. Need that marathon man to help you pack out!!

It depends on where I'm glassing from. If I'm in a good spot with lots of sign I might sit there from before daylight till after dark.
Could be 1-2 miles or if I'm looking over new country looking for sign it might be 5-6 miles but I'm always looking for someplace to glass from because it's more efficient to hunt through the binos than wander around blindly hoping to see an animal.
You got it!! One or two miles with fresh sign, get in there at first light and if not successful, stay after legal and do it again the next day. Make sure you keep the wind on your face and while waiting don't move and keep very quiet. Good luck next time!!

You got it!! One or two miles with fresh sign, get in there at first light and if not successful, stay after legal and do it again the next day. Make sure you keep the wind on your face and while waiting don't move and keep very quiet. Good luck next time!!
How many animals and how many days per animal?
No

Not on this forum.
how many animals?

How many days per animal?

Private or public?

Answer those three, come on! It will help your credibility even if the answer is zero.

It all comes down to weight and elevation for me. I think 3 miles fully loaded into camp is about my comfort zone. That’s usually with snow as well. When I just have a day pack, I tend to do about 6-8 but I have the misadventure from time to time which may add up to 15+. Especially with deer, 10-15 is a pretty normal day.
You're correct, it really comes down to elevation above sea level, difficulty of trail, % climb /decent and weight carried. Most people over rate the distance covered while hiking. I always think I've walk a lot further on any given hike. Especially, when hiking in the dark, it always seems like I've hiked further than I really did.

I usually put in some long days when I’m rifle hunting. 10-15 mile days and a lot of vert; usually a loop or shuttle hunt. Vert is more of a factor to me than miles. The good thing about late rifle hunts is the days are short. I’ve found what works for me is to force myself to hike in far enough that it’ll guarantee I’ll be a few miles in hunting as the sun is setting. I’ve had a lot of really good things happen in those last 15 minutes of daylight. I also do a lot of shuttle hunts. I like finding ways to get to the top of a ridge system that might be really steep and short, then hike it out to another parked truck 6-8 miles away. Something really nice about seeing new country the whole hunt. I put in some miles archery hunting but it’s just different. A decent effort getting in then pretty conservative during the hunt. I’m usually playing a game of cat and mouse trying not to push stuff out of the area I’m hunting. Long mid day naps. Probably closer to 6-8 miles/day on average. Those are some things that have worked for me. I’m sure my style will continue to evolve and change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back