MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

How many coyotes/year to turn a profit?

Doug

How many coyotes a year do you have to shoot to make it profitable to skin them and put up the fur? Lets say you only shoot 3 a year. Well you will probably spend a few hours skinning and fleshing them and then have to pay for your stretchers and then drive some place to sell them. You probably aren't going to make a profit or break even on 3 coyotes. So how many coyotes/year do you think would make it worth skinning them and selling the fur?
Doug

One

I've skinned, fleshed and dried them and sold them for a dollar a piece.

For me it's not about getting the reward, it's about making the proper effort.

Tim I respect the standards you have set for yourself. I think you are a heck of a guy and you have much longer legs than me. LOL! I'm sorry though, 1 buck coyotes will never see my stretchers. Common sense tells me it ain't proper to put effort into that fruitless of an endeavor. Kudos to you for doing it though. No disrespect intended.
smile.gif

Doug, I don't know what number makes it worth putting up fur. Different for everyone I suppose. In areas of the country where fur has good value, a guy could make some extra cash with just a handful of coyotes when the price is up.

Curt,

I admit, when I skinned and put them up, I thought I was going to get a lot more than that. And when the Auction receipts came back, I was cussing and swearing quite a bit.

But I never stopped hunting or trapping over price, and if I don't put up what I catch, I give it to some one who will. It's pretty rare for me to kill something and not pick it up, other than a little ADC work I used to do.

Yeah, I guess you don't know what you are gonna get till you get to the auction. Sucks when a guy puts in hard work and doesn't get what he deserves. Again, no disrespect.

Take care

I haven't turned a profit in ten years here in Idaho. but you know what? I sure have alot of fun and there is no pressure or sick feelings when you see a fifty dollar bill running away. Now I just cut off a tail to tan or leave em lay, knowing a couple more fawns now have a chance or two to survive. callin in dawgs gets in your blood real bad money or no..man can't wait for snowwwwww h2m

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back