Yeti GOBOX Collection

How many coolers to hold an elk?

Doug

I am going to Jackson to shoot a cow elk with the Huntalk crew this November and I need to know how much cooler space I need to pack it up and take it home with me. Thanks,
Doug

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-08-2003 19:56: Message edited by: Doug ]</font>

I'll probably get the meat processed and froze for the drive home, but I have no idea how much cooler space an elk takes up.
Doug

Doug, depends on how big a gun you use, and how many times you hit it.
biggrin.gif

Being serious now, if you are using a guide, he should know, or try to contact the meat processor you will be using and they should know. It really comes down to the weight of the processed meat. Again, they should be able to tell you how much meat in each cooler, depending on the size.

Man I wish I were going with you. Best of luck up there and have some fun doing it.

Take care.

Bruce,
There's over the counter tags still available for this hunt if you are interested. http://www.huntandlodge.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001229 It's the predation cow hunt that quite a few members of Huntalk are getting together in November for. I don't have much of a clue how to hunt elk in Wyoming. Thats why I'm going on this hunt. I figure if I pay attention and keep up with Elkchaser that I'll be needing a few coolers to haul my elk home in.
wink.gif

Doug

A regular size cow should fit into two 48 qt icechest, with some room for ice. If ya de bone it, one and a half.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I figure if I pay attention and keep up with Elkchaser that I'll be needing a few coolers to haul my elk home in. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug, if you hang around Russ that long you will be heading home full of chit!!
tongue.gif

last year i got a young cow elk about 250 lbs i deboned it an it filled little more then 2/3 of a 100 quart ice chest

From the looks of this web site, they say to expect 43% of field dressed weight for bulls and 47% for cows. Field dressed includes head and hide, but legs cut off at knees and hocks.

Scroll to the bottom of this page.

FWIW, I think you should be fine if you have 100 quarts of cooler space, whether it's two fifties or one 100.

Oak

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-09-2003 17:09: Message edited by: Colorado Oak ]</font>

Doug:

I agree with those who have recommended using a 100 quart cooler to hold a de-boned elk. Try to get it frozen and put some ice in there too. Then add ice when you stop to fill up with gas.

KC

Hey Doug,,what size of truck are you comming back in?? If both you and your partner gets an elk, thats alot of meat to take back to Pa. in coolers...I'd look into a small chest freezer. Up to a 15 cu. ft..That way when you stop for the night you can just plug it in..I know it will take up room and add weight, but you don't have to worry about any of the meat thawing out..Just a suggestion..

Hunterman(Tony)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hunterman:
Hey Doug,,what size of truck are you comming back in?? If both you and your partner gets an elk, thats alot of meat to take back to Pa. in coolers...I'd look into a small chest freezer. Up to a 15 cu. ft..That way when you stop for the night you can just plug it in..I know it will take up room and add weight, but you don't have to worry about any of the meat thawing out..Just a suggestion..

Hunterman(Tony)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a great idea and I have done this before. If you plan on bringing a freezer on a trailer with a generator to power it. Remember that the freezer can only handle soo much tilt before you toast the pump on the freezer. But I am not sure you would need this if you pack just the meat in the cooler. THere is a technique here worth mentioning. Build a wooden rack that fits the well of the cooler. Put the blocks of ice in the bottom put the rack in and then the meat. This keeps the ice from touching the meat and keeps it cool. Make sure you load the coolers at the end of the trailer so that you can open the drain often. This is the best solution in my opinion...

TheHunt

TheHunt

hey doug,
here is a suggestion. take only enough coolers for your food and beer, by the end of the hunt get rid of your left over food, use those coolers for meat, and the butchers sell boxes for like $5 apeice. we have a 28 hour drive and haven't lost any meat yet. we found out that unused coolers take up alot of space, so take what you need to and you will make out just fine. i have brought home 2 elk from Co. and bothe trips i never lost any meat.

good luck to all of you

Thanks Guys! I bought a 100 quart cooler last night. My partner has a 1 ton crew cab Chevy that we will be driving to Wyoming so space and weight aren't a problem.
Doug

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back