Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

How many boils?

Fatrack

Have any of you guys kept track of how many boils you can get out of a can of fuel for your backpacking stove? Assuming the water is pulled from a creek and you in the mountains somewhere between 5-8K ft. in elevation.

How many can you get out of the little ones like this?
small gas.jpg

What about the bigger ones?
bigger gas.jpg

I had what I thought was a near empty small red can I wanted to use up last weekend boil enough water for 3 guys meals 4 times while elk hunting.

Covered pot/kettle is a must. I switched to an aluminum tea kettle a few years ago that makes pouring into mtn house/oatmeal cups real nice and holds the heat in. I've carried the big can and never ran out in 5 days for two guys many times.

My daughter and I are presently using the little red MSR can we are at 3000' and using a whisper lite stove. We boil 2-4 cups each time. Probably averaging 3 cups. We have 8 boils and I still feel gas sloshing around in there... A little bit!

What burner are you using? I think that will make a big difference.

Yes...

I have a Soto stove and a Jet Boil pot, 2 guys breakfast/dinner, maybe 2 liters per day... The larger 225gm size will last about 5-6 days, its about half that with a Pocket Rocket. The Jet Boil is about the same as the Soto, maybe a touch more efficient... but Slower. :)

The 100gm will last a weekend, no problem.

I should add, I am currently using a MSR Pocket Rocket, and the large can I started last year still has a little fuel left and I used it for about 6 days if I remember correctly, and would guess it maybe has a day or two left in it. That would be 2 boils a day at 8000ft, but reletively small amounts of water (2.5 cups) each boil, so they didn't require as much fuel.

I use the Pocket Rocket. And, I have several cans of fuel that have a "few" boils on them, but still feel pretty full. I'm always nervous of bringing them with me, so I buy a fresh one for each trip...hence lots of semi full cans. I'm thinking of starting to make a mark on the can each time I use it so I can kinda keep track of how many boils I have left.

I had a slightly used smaller can with my jetboil for 6 days in the breaks boiling drinking water and mnt house 2 person meals for three of use and still had fuel in it.

I use the Pocket Rocket. And, I have several cans of fuel that have a "few" boils on them, but still feel pretty full. I'm always nervous of bringing them with me, so I buy a fresh one for each trip...hence lots of semi full cans. I'm thinking of starting to make a mark on the can each time I use it so I can kinda keep track of how many boils I have left.

I've started to mark the number of 2 cup boils with my pocket rocket and JetBoil on the bottom of the can with a sharpie. I wish I had reached the end, but still work in progress (didn't camp as much this summer as last). If nobody has a number in a week or two I'll let you know after my elk trips. This will be for 8-9.5k.

My feeling is that with a pocket rocket you'll be fine for 2 people for 2-3 days on a 100g can if you are just boiling for mtn house and oatmeal. Of course haul a spare, maybe one that is half spent for a long weekend trip.

I noticed the new MSR cans have a gage on the outside. You float it in water and measure the depth of float on the side of the can. Didn't notice them on the little ones though.

You could probably do something similar, and mark them accordingly. Could also weigh them.

I'm always nervous to bring a used cans as well, marking them sounds like a good idea. So far though, I've certainly been impressed with my Soto stove.

Bambistew, have you noticed the flame control getting any worse on your Soto? On my last trip it seemed like the flame didn't tighten up near as well as it did originally, but maybe there were other variables at work.

Haven't really noticed any issues with the Soto other than the igniter broke about the second time I used it. Between hunts, day trips and over-nighters, its probably been used 60-70 days in the last two years. I really only use it to boil water though.

I started marking a jetboil can a while ago and quit doing so when it just kept going, I know it has to be getting close to empty so I've started packing a spare with me. Mine does not see a ton of use, but I've been very impressed with how much life I've got from a can. Maybe when I finally do start on a new can I'll start marking again.

2 guys, planning on 2 small cans of fuel for 2 cups water for oatmeal every am and 2 mountain house every PM, for 7 days.... is that reasonable, or do you think we will run out?

you guys have a far better bead on this than I do. I've always just grabbed a new canister and used countless "used ones" for car camping or firing up some warm-up coffee while floating.

2 guys, planning on 2 small cans of fuel for 2 cups water for oatmeal every am and 2 mountain house every PM, for 7 days.... is that reasonable, or do you think we will run out?

I think it will be fine, I'm sure I have more than 7 similar days on each of my fuel cans that are still about half full, never hurts to have a spare in your vehicle if you need to hike back for it. The stove will make a difference as well, what kind do you have?

Just got back from a CO trip where me and a buddy used a large canister of fuel with my MSR Superfly stove. Got 13 plus boils out of it at 12k feet with a Ti pot holding 1 liter of water. (We also had several nights worth of boils where we boiled an additional half a liter for drinks after MH meals were prepared.) Temps were mid 30's-low 50's, I'm thinking... I'm putting in my notes that 1 large (red MSR) canister of fuel will give me about 14 boils for future reference...

Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back