How is your hay

Around 1200 bales a day average. He has his two nephews, his niece and his sister filling the barn. As soon as they fill all they want in the main barn, they'll set up down at the heifer barn. That one usually gets first cutting only. They just keep on keepin on... We have a nice hay elevator. Two usually work the wagon and two usually are up in the mowl stacking.

Sounds like my buddies set up minus all the help. But we are so far north we get just one cutting. Our growing season is 120 days. We just cut the Timothy come first snow that grass will barly be mid-calf.

We at least get a second cutting but we are thrilled when we can get a third. Man-o-man, that third cutting is so soft! And the cows really milk on that stuff
wink.gif

Ya that is what I am used to. Up here they sweat that cut. My buddy puts it up for his horses. Them horses have to have nearly perfect hay. The cows can eat stuff that will kill a horse. He had about 60 acres that went bad, it had rain on it the second day it was down. Here it takes right a three days to dry. Even to much dew can spoil it.

wow... that's interesting. When Gary's father was still alive, he always had at least two horses. Gary calls them hay burners
biggrin.gif
Anyway they always got the best of the hay also. The cows in the morning get besides their grain feed and high moisture corn, silage, they get first cutting. Then at night, they get second cutting with all that other stuff again. They are so spoiled here. When they are ready to put them in from pasture, all Gary or AnnLee has to do is hollar out the barn door, "Come on girls" and you should see them run to the gate...
biggrin.gif

Back