How important is it?

I know what works. I think I might be on ti something that works better. We'll see. mtmuley
I know lots of things that work, don’t mean I wouldn’t try a 118 hammer hht out of a 28 Nosler for pigs in Cali with family this august. Prolly push for 36-3800?

We’ve taken say 10-15 animals with 168 vlds out of 30-06/300 wm

North of say 50 animals with 7mm 168 vlds

Ranges have varied 200-500 mostly. But very similar mv, same weight, same bullet design. By observation I always have felt like the 168/7mm combo just hit a little harder. Originally I thought it was just the obvious that the 7 was retaining more velocity/energy and had a higher sectional density. But there was enough crossover where it didn’t really add up. For example I shot an antelope doe at like 220 with the 300 and it ran like 40-50 yards. A week or so later my daughter shot a full size mule deer at 336 in seemingly the same spot center of lung with the 7 and it absolutely dropped it like normal. Vel would have been nearly identical. A while back I think I was listening to either Bryan Litz or one of those Hornady podcasts and it dawned on me that it might be the twist. If that’s the case it would seem even a subtle change 1-10 to 1-9 could have a dramatic effect. Not a huge sample size but makes sense.
What are your thoughts on the state of the lungs at impact? I’ve heard the analogy of a balloon, if they were inflated, maybe they’d ‘pop’ more violently versus putting a hole in a deflated balloon and it’s just a small hole to deal with as they try to fill while running off. Maybe that could be more of an archery factor, just spit balling additional variables with no research probably not a significant factor

What is BC useful for? I have an idea that for 99.99% of hunters, even just shooter's, it's nothing more than something to talk about! Someone that can hit a quarter at 600 yds can hit a quarter at 600 yds. BC is not gonna help him much. No matter the BC he's still gonna have to know how much to hold over and be able to do it, will have to give a guess to wind drift also, just a guess! !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back