Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

How Heavy is Your 13 day Sheep Pack

So I'm back. And learned alot. I'll post more later but for starters. 80 pounds on the way out sucked. We did 7 miles each day trying not to push to hard to keep ourselves good to go. Did all 14 miles in one push on the way out... and I'm feeling it.
We ended up not getting a sheep but I learned alot about back country hunting, about what I am willing to sacrifice and not and that there needs to be a little better communication about gear, splitting loads, etc.
Also FOOD - wow I definitely over did it on food. I ate more then I wanted to just so I wouldn't have to pack it out. But i learned alot about managing my caloreis, about some good and bad items and overall garbage management.
We saw a ton of sheep, grizzlies and moose. We also had a Wolverine try to come into camp one night.
Finally, we couldn't get inside 100 yards of Rams but got inside 335 yards once, and 450 yards multiple times. We had one stalk that was perfect, but we ended up arriving about 20 minutes after the rams had climbed above us, didn't realize it until they were too high in the cliffs. I'll post some pictures later of beautiful country and some cool animals. Thanks guys for all the help and talking me through my first Back Country and first Sheep Hunt. It will definitely not be my last!

So I'm back. And learned alot. I'll post more later but for starters. 80 pounds on the way out sucked. We did 7 miles each day trying not to push to hard to keep ourselves good to go. Did all 14 miles in one push on the way out... and I'm feeling it.
We ended up not getting a sheep but I learned alot about back country hunting, about what I am willing to sacrifice and not and that there needs to be a little better communication about gear, splitting loads, etc.
Also FOOD - wow I definitely over did it on food. I ate more then I wanted to just so I wouldn't have to pack it out. But i learned alot about managing my caloreis, about some good and bad items and overall garbage management.
We saw a ton of sheep, grizzlies and moose. We also had a Wolverine try to come into camp one night.
Finally, we couldn't get inside 100 yards of Rams but got inside 335 yards once, and 450 yards multiple times. We had one stalk that was perfect, but we ended up arriving about 20 minutes after the rams had climbed above us, didn't realize it until they were too high in the cliffs. I'll post some pictures later of beautiful country and some cool animals. Thanks guys for all the help and talking me through my first Back Country and first Sheep Hunt. It will definitely not be my last!
I think there's a lot of guys quietly nodding their heads, especially regarding the food. Pretty hard trip for a first go at backpack hunting, glad you went and had a good time.

I think there's a lot of guys quietly nodding their heads, especially regarding the food. Pretty hard trip for a first go at backpack hunting, glad you went and had a good time.
Probably, I know that there were things I couldn't figure out how to cut, and some things that I overdid it on (food) but it was a great first experience doing this kind of hunting. 12 days was also a long time. I definitely want to do it again though, so that is a good sign. Just want to be better about food and see what I can do to reduce other weights!

Probably, I know that there were things I couldn't figure out how to cut, and some things that I overdid it on (food) but it was a great first experience doing this kind of hunting. 12 days was also a long time. I definitely want to do it again though, so that is a good sign. Just want to be better about food and see what I can do to reduce other weights!
Just backpack a bunch in the spring and summer next year, you'll figure yourself out. I've refined my food over the years about as tight as I can get. 3/4lb custom trailmix, 2 instant coffees, and a freeze dried dinner; that's my entire day. I did that for my 5-day deer hunt this year, then again the next week for a few more days for elk. I always come out with a little food.

I was wondering how this turned out. You got some decent weather for your hunt.

I've only seen/heard of one ram killed so far, and it was a smoker.

I was wondering how this turned out. You got some decent weather for your hunt.

I've only seen/heard of one ram killed so far, and it was a smoker.
I was following up with some guys who were non Res. They released an arrow but no hit. They did same as us, 10 days out looking. They did say they thought they saw a guy with a Ram that was good sized. Might be the same one. It was tough, I'd definitely like to go back with a rifle and try again. I'd even go again with a bow but do things a little different. It was a great experience.

I was following up with some guys who were non Res. They released an arrow but no hit. They did same as us, 10 days out looking. They did say they thought they saw a guy with a Ram that was good sized. Might be the same one. It was tough, I'd definitely like to go back with a rifle and try again. I'd even go again with a bow but do things a little different. It was a great experience.
You and everyone else wants that rifle tag. Haha

The ram I saw was shot by a guy from Wasilla. He's a sheep killer though. Haven't heard from the other guys I know that were in there.

You and everyone else wants that rifle tag. Haha

The ram I saw was shot by a guy from Wasilla. He's a sheep killer though. Haven't heard from the other guys I know that were in there.
Wouldn't happen to have been a guy that used to post on here a few years ago, would it? He had more than a handful of skulls in his house.

I'm going on my first Backpacking Hunt - Archery Dall's Sheep in Alaska. We are hiking out September 30th.
What are your guys pack weights- we are going to be out 13 days.
I'm getting a little nervous. My buddy just weighed all his stuff and he is at 79 pounds going in. I'm a little heavier because I have my bow and my spotting scope. Right now I'm at 56 pounds without food - looking at 20 pounds for food. I also didn't weight the cloths I'll be wearing.
We are going to be going out September 30th and plan on staying out till end of season October 10th. We are planning to hike out on 10/11 and he has to catch a plane in Anchorage October 12th at 3 PM.
I am looking at trying to cut some weight as it sits but was curious for a 14 day backcountry trip what you guys see for pack weight for a sheep.

Also,worth bringing one extra day of food? for emergency purposes?
Brady Miller on goHunt has some pretty slick weight saving food ideas and stuff you can find on YouTube. I did his stoveless food method for 6 days back in Pagosa Springs CO. It wasn’t even cold out and the lack of hot food was a bit soul crushing.

An emergency food cache left on a scouting trip in the summer could offer a safety net without extra weight.

-Dave

Brady Miller on goHunt has some pretty slick weight saving food ideas and stuff you can find on YouTube. I did his stoveless food method for 6 days back in Pagosa Springs CO. It wasn’t even cold out and the lack of hot food was a bit soul crushing.

An emergency food cache left on a scouting trip in the summer could offer a safety net without extra weight.

-Dave
Yeah I think HotFood is a must. I don’t even like not having hot food at home/work.
Really good to me is a hot meal wether I make it or buy it. So I think stoveless is a no go for me. Plus the emergency benefits of a stove are huge.
I’ll definitely check out his stuff though.

Flying in with a Super Cub, the transporter we use has a strict 50 pound limit.
The pack is weighed on their scale before each flight.
That does not include rifle and gear on person.
View attachment 173457
I want to get my pack weight down to 45-50. I think that for a warmer hunt season I could probably do that. And we got lucky on our Chugach hunt where it didn't get too cold, but the winds blowing off the glacier(s) I definitely was glad to have some of the extra layers while sitting up on the edge of a couple bowls trying to pattern these rams we saw coming out of the cliffs.
But I know with my food and Bow I was at 65+ give or take. Too heavy - need to pair it down.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back