How do you deal with ticks?

smitty661

I’m new to north Idaho and love it here so far. I went out for turkey yesterday and brushed several ticks off of my clothing and skin while out hiking around. When I got back to my truck and started driving I realized that I was actually covered in about 15-20 ticks. I pulled over and picked them all off. So today I cleaned my truck and vacuumed everything. I stopped to eat lunch at a restaurant and I see one crawling on my arm. I’m used to a few ticks here and there but this seems like it’s going to be a real issue here. What do you guys do to prevent Getting them on you or in your home and vehicles?

D4570

MinnesotaHunter

Nothing works better than permethrin. A few clothing companies are putting permethrin in the fabric. I can attest that it works great, and we have ticks from hell in south Texas. This is what I use.

https://gamehide.com/why-gamehide/elimitick/
I would be careful about paying a premium for permethrin treated clothing, as the treatment is generally only good for a specific number of washes.

Greyman

I would be careful about paying a premium for permethrin treated clothing, as the treatment is generally only good for a specific number of washes.
I got mine on clearance 2 years ago. It's still working. It's supposed to be good for 70 washes. They are gonna be torn and worn out before then.

OzzyDave

I’m a BIG tick attractant - they love me. A bunch of us use tea tree soap when we shower - ticks hate it. I’ve started using the permethrin and seems to work - hard to say it’s been so dry here.

ElkFever2

There are product out there that work. However, I prefer not to use any, as am not really a fan of chemicals. This means I meticulously comb through my belongings and person before getting back in the vehicle. It's gross, but occasionally I do miss one that turns up later on, especially if it's a small tick. Thanks for the tip on tea tree soap - I'll have to try that out.

MJE2083

Permethrin hands down the best thing for clothing. We have some real problems here in central PA, and one of the higher incidents of Lyme in the country. I treat my boots, socks, clothes with permethrin monthly. Like others said, buy the concentrate the dilute it down for clothing. Sawyers is good too, but it gets expensive when you're using it regularly.

For bare skin they say that a DEET product is best, particularly the lotion kind. I use Ultrathon by 3M. My dog takes Bravecto and also receives an annual Lyme vaccination. I still comb her thoroughly after every trip outside and spray her bed with permethrin.

kansasdad

Permethrin and physical barriers for a one-two punch. In bad tick/poison ivy turkey hunting years, I resort to breathable chest waders. This makes my lower 2/3 of my body tick impervious. Permethrin on my wader top, shirt, hat, gloves and facemask and its a rare day that I ever see one of the buggers. Bonus: mosquitoes leave me alone as well.

LuketheDog

Permethrin and physical barriers for a one-two punch. In bad tick/poison ivy turkey hunting years, I resort to breathable chest waders. This makes my lower 2/3 of my body tick impervious. Permethrin on my wader top, shirt, hat, gloves and facemask and its a rare day that I ever see one of the buggers. Bonus: mosquitoes leave me alone as well.
Yeah, but the one that finally gets in the waders is going to have a P-A-R-T-Y down in there until you catch him...

Greyman

For use on your skin, repellents with picaridin work better on ticks than deet in my experience. It also doesent damage the DWR finish on your clothing like deet does and it has no smell after it's dry. It doesn't work quite as well as deet on mosquitoes though.

Last edited:

farmerboy1381

For those of you who like me do not like chemicals my Brother in law swears by apple cider vinegar, I only tried it on me and my dog twice last year while pheasant hunting and didn’t find any ticks but perhaps it was just luck. although a second for how bad central PA can be. Just put it in a spray bottle and spray like repellant.

smitty661

looks like I will me getting some permethrin. after talking with some locals it seems that is not that regular to get into them that thick. I must have just been in a bad spot. thanks!

RobG

looks like I will me getting some permethrin. after talking with some locals it seems that is not that regular to get into them that thick. I must have just been in a bad spot. thanks!
Yeah, I’ve had that happen and it was a fluke. Sometimes a bunch of them hang out on the same bush and if you brush up against it they all jump onto you.

Cheater

Do you guys run into ticks as much in the summer and fall as you do in the spring? I've encountered them pretty thick in the spring, but in the fall I only see them on deer I've killed.