How do you deal with gifts for nieces and nephews....

2rocky

.....who are super soft?

I received a gift list (On Amazon) for my 10 year old nephew, and I have no idea what half this stuff is.

Cats vs. Pickles? Mystery bags? Plush Animals, Roblox Cards?
I watched him drain $50 on Roblox in a matter of minutes...I ain't doing that. It was like watching a gambler lose all his money on a hand of blackjack.

I remember growing up, I had relatives who were from different backgrounds who seemed to give me worthwhile stuff, but looking at what suburban kids do today (even though my daughter is only 6 years older) I don't get it....

I'm thinking about books.. Maybe Hank the Cowdog, Little Britches, or some Newberry medal winners. Thoughts?

Send them stupid crap I want to buy, not what they want.

Bird books, bird shirts, bird calendars, bird puzzles, bird coloring books, bird stuffed animals. Usually from the Peregrine Fund’s online store since it’s going to a good cause.

I am not given lists any more. Everyone knows that if any of the kids get a gift - which they still do on occasion should I see something I think is cool or would have at that age - that it’s going to be some bird stuff.

Sounds like the kiddo needs an experience over material gifts. Ignore that damn list and get the kid something that forces interaction, even if it means making the kid experience something outside the comfort zone. Just get out and see or do something new. Never know, new interests might pop up.

We are going through the same thing with our family, my brother is going to crap when he realizes he has to accompany his kid on a paintball course. He's on his dime of course, bought the day pass and equipment rental for the kid, but they have to be accompanied by an adult, he can buy his own way. I won't spend $20 on a ridiculous fidget spinner set but I'll sure as hell spend $75 on a paintball gift card!

I don't know if this approach will work, but we'll see.

I buy gifts until the ankle-biters are in the 10 - 12 age range when they start to get very specific in not only an item but the size, color, etc. You will know when the kid hits that stage and is a healthy stage as they are likely seeing themselves as independent of the family and reduces peer pressure influence. Is a pain, though, as a gift-giver. I switch to gift cards at that point then continue through end of high school. After high school, only give gifts in rare occasions which is usually for wedding, first baby, college graduation, etc.

My brother divorced and remarried so now it went from 2 to 5.... They get gift cards!

Hatchet and a pile of wood along with ^^^ kept me out of trouble.
Until we started shooting each other.
Me thinks the times have changed.
Times have changed, but I try to resist. When my boy wants to park himself in front of the TV for too long, I tell him to get the dog and go down to the creek.

.....who are super soft?

I received a gift list (On Amazon) for my 10 year old nephew, and I have no idea what half this stuff is.

Cats vs. Pickles? Mystery bags? Plush Animals, Roblox Cards?
I watched him drain $50 on Roblox in a matter of minutes...I ain't doing that. It was like watching a gambler lose all his money on a hand of blackjack.

I remember growing up, I had relatives who were from different backgrounds who seemed to give me worthwhile stuff, but looking at what suburban kids do today (even though my daughter is only 6 years older) I don't get it....

I'm thinking about books.. Maybe Hank the Cowdog, Little Britches, or some Newberry medal winners. Thoughts?
Can't go wrong with Newberry winners!

Finally convinced my extended family to quit this nonsense of adults exchanging gifts.
All the cousins(kids) do a secret Santa.

My wife and I have been trying to push this but we're getting some push back from both my sisters... The extended family gift exchanging is getting ridiculous. I personally am heartless and don't really care, but my wife makes up for it by doing every possible holiday for "the cousins" since my siblings do the same. That's Christmas, Halloween, birthdays, Easter, Valentines Days, etc...

We're essentially having our kids exchange crap that they don't need, so that it can sit in piles of stuff we already have at home, that we don't need...

Back