How do you deal with gifts for nieces and nephews....

I guess mine have got the wisdom I bestowed on them over the early years. LOL
I expect the same in return, seeing I never hear from any of them anymore outside of the xmas photo cards.
Besides they are way better off $ wise than I am, and I'm just an old with cancer. Surely not woke enough now.
I have gotten no phone calls since their moms told them Uncle Hank has cancer.

No help here. LOL
That kind of family disregard bums me out Hank.

That kind of family disregard bums me out Hank.
I have one sister of 4 that I talk to regularly. Like we used to with my folks.
My bro and the other 3 sisters? I could care less now.
My parents are rolling in their watery graves I'm sure.

I hear a lot of wonder about how my kids aren't as you describe. It's not a wonder. Catering to kids is a bad idea.

Every kid needs a headlamp. If old enough Mora makes some fixed blade knives with blunt tips. There exist match-grade BBs. Even better are 11/64" ball bearings.

.....who are super soft?

I received a gift list (On Amazon) for my 10 year old nephew, and I have no idea what half this stuff is.

Cats vs. Pickles? Mystery bags? Plush Animals, Roblox Cards?
I watched him drain $50 on Roblox in a matter of minutes...I ain't doing that. It was like watching a gambler lose all his money on a hand of blackjack.

I remember growing up, I had relatives who were from different backgrounds who seemed to give me worthwhile stuff, but looking at what suburban kids do today (even though my daughter is only 6 years older) I don't get it....

I'm thinking about books.. Maybe Hank the Cowdog, Little Britches, or some Newberry medal winners. Thoughts?
Kids aren’t soft, they are just trained to be by soft parents.

I have a nephew who is all boy but is being raised by a couple soft computer nerds. However, he has always looked up to me and thinks the stuff I do is super cool. So I have bought him things over the years that connect him to me and the outdoors.

When he was young I bough him Hunter Dan figurines. One time he watched me for hours when I cut up a massive tree that fell down in his yard so I bought him a toy stihl chainsaw. I got him and his sister hiking boots/shoes that matched the ones my wife and I wear. We actually got them for the whole family and took them hiking….once.

He also got lots of tractors and earth movers over the years.

When he was really young he got some stuffed animals but I always got him the ones that looked like real animals or hunting dogs and not cartoon animals.

I got him his first fishing pole and none of that Mickey Mouse 2ft pole garbage!

Now that he’s older it’s things like bikes, skateboard, etc. When he started reading I got him adventure based books. It’s a little unorthodox, but for me reading the Box Car Children really sparked adventure and outdoors in my mind. I built a fort by the train tracks after reading.

I push all the relatives to get outside.

i buy my nephew things he can do for activities. Board games, coloring books, activity books, cheap binoculars things that he has to go out and use. I also get clothes if he needs them. He got a red ryder last year from me for xmas. My sister was not too thrilled but i keep it at my house and we shoot when hes back. He will be getting a shot gun in a couple years and i will most likely be getting him a bow for his next birthday. He just turned 6 this year.

.....who are super soft?

I received a gift list (On Amazon) for my 10 year old nephew, and I have no idea what half this stuff is.

Cats vs. Pickles? Mystery bags? Plush Animals, Roblox Cards?
I watched him drain $50 on Roblox in a matter of minutes...I ain't doing that. It was like watching a gambler lose all his money on a hand of blackjack.

I remember growing up, I had relatives who were from different backgrounds who seemed to give me worthwhile stuff, but looking at what suburban kids do today (even though my daughter is only 6 years older) I don't get it....

I'm thinking about books.. Maybe Hank the Cowdog, Little Britches, or some Newberry medal winners. Thoughts?
My boys learned to read on Hank the Cowdog. Great stuff. My youngest is about to be 30. Whenever he starts slacking, I look at him and say, " Oh my leg!"

Not true. I just wish I'd get a thank you. AITA if I donate money in their names since they don't thank me anyway?
My wife's brother was famous for this. That's why me and Mrs are on the donor list at ASPCA. We are still getting their phone calls and junk mail.

the whole commercialization of christmas & kids expecting gifts from everyone has turned me into a grinch as I get older. we are all apart some distance so there's no more exchanging, and we stopped shipping gifts years ago, what a pain in the a$$ and money to ship also....

American silver eagle, current year
not to hi-jack the thread, but jtm where you get your Brit from? (pic in your avatar)
I suppose I could send a DM or take it to the dog forum.....:oops:

Back