Yeti GOBOX Collection

How do you celebrate a successful hunt?

I have no issue with some one having this stance, but I struggle to reconcile this post from someone with Kudu on his avatar, and a house full of African game heads....

If this is how you feel, why did you fly all the way to Africa to kill things?
Not sure what you're having trouble reconciling. Hunting is hunting wherever the hunter is hunting. I don't high five or fist pump or whoop it up or smoke cigars here or in Africa. I have the same respect for the animals I harvest here as the ones I harvest in Montana or Africa. Why is that so hard to understand? Your supposed lack of reconciliation seems to be much ado about nothing.

Not sure what you're having trouble reconciling. Hunting is hunting wherever the hunter is hunting. I don't high five or fist pump or whoop it up or smoke cigars here or in Africa. I have the same respect for the animals I harvest here as the ones I harvest in Montana or Africa. Why is that so hard to understand? Your supposed lack of reconciliation seems to be much ado about nothing.

I don't think celebrating and being respectful of the animal are mutually exclusive. I do think people like to engage in weird virtue signaling, or occupy some weird moral high ground, as if they didn't just work really hard to accomplish something they set out to do. You also stated that meat was your priority, but hunting in Africa doesn't involve filling the freezer, so just own it. You set out to hunt something, and you were successful, be happy....

I have no issue with some one having this stance, but I struggle to reconcile this post from someone with Kudu on his avatar, and a house full of African game heads....

If this is how you feel, why did you fly all the way to Africa to kill things?
Isn’t a mount a celebration? Maybe you should be like the story I heard the other day from my brother. His brother-in-law Morgan was talking to an old guy that he knows that lives in Missoula. I think it happened two years ago. The old man told Morgan he killed a buck the day before, but had left the head because it was too heavy and he’s only after meat. He had taken a picture and he showed him. His jaw dropped and he told the old man they could hike in the next day and he’d pack it out for him. I never saw a picture, but my brother did. He said it was an easy Booner buck. Apparently the old man was never impressed. Isn’t that the beauty of our country? We have a chance to decide what a trophy is and how we celebrate it.

Pay by the head hunting isn’t fist pumping worthy anyway.. maybe beer drinking cigar smoking worthy..

Celebrate?
Since I normally hunt alone, there is no one to celebrate with! LOL!
I don't celebrate until thd last package goes into the freezer.

My celebration is not only a successful hunt, making a clean kill, but completely processing the animal. Then the celebration, such as it is, is a bowl of chili, soup, butterflied fried loin, venison kielbasa or whatever.
I don't hunt simply for the kill. A kill is just icing on the cake.
I hunt to be outdoors.
I hunt to quietly watch the world wake up or go to sleep.
I hunt to achieve the satisfaction of a properly killed, cleaned and processed game animal and the blessings that puts pristine food on my plate.

Well said.

So Ontariohunter, as you eloquently implied you believe we that celebrate with high fives or fist bumps or cigars or whatever are disrespecting the animal? Could you explain more thoroughly? How is it different from a wall of mounts? Do you let people look at them and ask questions? Hmmm...

Pay by the head hunting isn’t fist pumping worthy anyway.. maybe beer drinking cigar smoking worthy..
I am a public land DIY kinda guy. A working man hunter (I came into my fortune rather late in life). Unfortunately, pay by the head is the only way it's done over there. Personally, I agree that generally it's not terribly fist pumping. However, a few animals can be very challenging. It's why I'm going after a second buffalo and kudu this year. Stalking a thousand pound animal meaner than hell in thick cover is a much different experience than tracking moose or elk in knee deep snow. More so because there's almost always never just one buffalo ready to stomp and gore you into hamburger. I'll never forget our tracker suddenly motioning ahead "There!" And then my PH pointing to our left where another dark hulk was moving in the shadows forty yards away. Then the other PH pointing to a calf and cow that just materialized to our right. We were right in the middle of a herd of forty man killers on it's late afternoon walkabout. Time to retreat ... quietly. Kudu are considered plains game but rarely found on the plains. They're usually in rough country with thick cover. A lot like hunting the Missouri Breaks but thicker. And kudu are not stupid muleys. VERY spooky critters. They are also free roaming. Unlike most of the other antelope, no fence can keep them in. Hard to pin down which property will have kudu trophies at any given moment. If you can go, kudu should definitely be at the top of your list. Mostly I go back to Africa because the country is different and interesting. And there is SO much game to see. I'm experiencing the other side of the world and doing it one on one with a great young fella ... instead of a busload of noisy tourists.

Last edited:
I am a public land DIY kinda guy. A working man hunter (I came into my fortune rather late in life). Unfortunately, pay by the head is the only way it's done over there. Personally, I agree that generally it's not terribly fist pumping. However, a few animals can be very challenging. It's why I'm going after a second buffalo and kudu this year. Stalking a thousand pound animal meaner than hell in thick cover is a much different experience than tracking moose or elk in knee deep snow. More so because there's almost always never just one buffalo ready to stomp and gore you into hamburger. I'll never forget our tracker suddenly motioning ahead "There!" And then my PH pointing to our right where another dark hulk was moving in the shadows forty yards away. Then the other PH pointing to a calf and cow that just materialized to our right. We were right in the middle of a herd of forty man killers on it's late afternoon walkabout. Time to retreat ... quietly. Kudu are considered plains game but rarely found on the plains. They're usually in rough country with thick cover. A lot like hunting the Missouri Breaks but thicker. And kudu are not stupid muleys. VERY spooky critters. They are also free roaming. Unlike most of the other antelope, no fence can keep them in. Hard to pin down which property will have kudu trophies at any given moment. If you can go, kudu should definitely be at the top of your list. Mostly I go back to Africa because the country is different and interesting. And there is SO much game to see. I'm experiencing the other side of the world and doing it one on one with a great young fella ... instead of a busload of noisy tourists.
You're the best!

I am a public land DIY kinda guy. A working man hunter (I came into my fortune rather late in life). Unfortunately, pay by the head is the only way it's done over there. Personally, I agree that generally it's not terribly fist pumping. However, a few animals can be very challenging. It's why I'm going after a second buffalo and kudu this year. Stalking a thousand pound animal meaner than hell in thick cover is a much different experience than tracking moose or elk in knee deep snow. More so because there's almost always never just one buffalo ready to stomp and gore you into hamburger. I'll never forget our tracker suddenly motioning ahead "There!" And then my PH pointing to our left where another dark hulk was moving in the shadows forty yards away. Then the other PH pointing to a calf and cow that just materialized to our right. We were right in the middle of a herd of forty man killers on it's late afternoon walkabout. Time to retreat ... quietly. Kudu are considered plains game but rarely found on the plains. They're usually in rough country with thick cover. A lot like hunting the Missouri Breaks but thicker. And kudu are not stupid muleys. VERY spooky critters. They are also free roaming. Unlike most of the other antelope, no fence can keep them in. Hard to pin down which property will have kudu trophies at any given moment. If you can go, kudu should definitely be at the top of your list. Mostly I go back to Africa because the country is different and interesting. And there is SO much game to see. I'm experiencing the other side of the world and doing it one on one with a great young fella ... instead of a busload of noisy tourists.
🙄

🏳️‍🌈

So Ontariohunter, as you eloquently implied you believe we that celebrate with high fives or fist bumps or cigars or whatever are disrespecting the animal? Could you explain more thoroughly? How is it different from a wall of mounts? Do you let people look at them and ask questions? Hmmm...
You make assumptions based on stereotypes. If you follow my posts, you would know I don't fit into stereotypes. I hate them. Let's see ... I live in a simple one bedroom home built in 1929. Less than 800 sq ft plus finished basement. The one 10'x10' former bedroom on the main floor is now my daughter's (our?) taxidermy business showroom. It has two shoulder mounts (whitetail and pronghorn) and two full body mounts (cougar and fox), none of which were shot by me. Several cap mounts and euros are mine, including two 350s elk, a couple of muleys and one whitetail (+ my dad's from 1955). Kudu and gemsbuck euros are hanging in a corner of the trophy room. Springbuck, impala, wildebeest, blesbuck, and warthog euros are in the approx 13'×13' living room (also the two whitetail caps and one rainbow trout). Buffalo euro is in kitchen entrance. Three cap mount moose racks are stored in the garage. In the basement office/rec room there's a spectacular recently restored whitetail deadhead (an interesting and challenging project), wildebeest hide on the wall (something my daughter wanted and then decided she didn't want), and a couple of client fish projects waiting to be picked up. And there's this almost finished pedestal muley, the only fur and glass eye mount trophy in the house that was taken by me. Nothing special but my daughter wanted to have a pedestal mount to practice on before doing them for clients. Good thing. We learned a lot. Now where do I put the damn thing?20210612_184200.jpg

So, does it sound like I do a lot of entertaining and showing off trophies in this little house? No. Though I have lived here since 1989, this town never really was "home" for me. My career kept me either away in school or travelling most of the time. Most of our limited social life revolved around the university where my wife worked and when she died so did socializing. Really, the only ones who come to the house now are my daughter and grandkids and the odd client. My trophies are personal mementos. They are respectful memorials to the animals and the memories of special times and places. Something with more dimension to it than simple photos. That's all.

Last edited:
I post on this thread reluctantly as I am an old woman, so what the hell do I know, but a couple of fellows ask me if we celebrated AND my opinion of a post made by another member

My first thought is--the problem with a pissing duel, is nobody leaves with dry boots :(

The short answer is yes, we always celebrated in one way or another, at some point after the animal was down. As Randy and others know a Coues hunt can be very challenging, and we celebrated when we were successful. Cougar hunting with dogs is like running a marathon, it is exhausting and so again if successful, we celebrated.

sheep hunts, start with saving for the hunt, planning the hunt, traveling to an area you are unfamiliar with, maybe flying commercial and then a float plane. Then horseback, then hike and then "the shot" so if our shot was successful, yes we celebrated.

Africa has been mentioned. And again, saving for the hunt, traveling to Africa, the hunt, the danger ( real and/or imagined ) and when successful, yes we celebrated and not just at the moment, but many times at a village or with the trackers and their families, as the locals dont just use and enjoy the meat, but the hooves, bones, skin, blood, organs and some of their celebrations are very enjoyable to be a part of and almost as dangerous as the hunt---you want me to eat--what ???o_O

When in the Arctic, the Inuits celebrate as mentioned by Panda Bear and BuzzH and their celebrations are also interesting.

IMHO. I think Ontariohunter hit a nerve with his below statements, more than whether or not he celebrates after a hunt.
I see no reason to celebrate the death of a beautiful animal. Should be a sober moment to reflect on our own mortality. No drinking or cigar smoking back at camp either. Smoking is stinky, dirty, and stupid. .

However, to each their own, far be it for me to dictate to others, ---except-- on the music thread !!!!!

Oh, I texted this pic to my wife and gave her a phone call since I was so dang high up I actually had service for a change, and there was nobody around to high-five. Just had to tell her how excited I was about shooting a big buck and that I missed her, of course it went to her voicemail though...
tempImage4bBxU8.jpg

Oh, I texted this pic to my wife and gave her a phone call since I was so dang high up I actually had service for a change, and there was nobody around to high-five. Just had to tell her how excited I was about shooting a big buck and that I missed her, of course it went to her voicemail though...
View attachment 185936
Quite the faceplant! Must have been a heart shot. They run like hell till they run over themselves.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back