Caribou Gear

How do you celebrate a successful hunt?

. I see no reason to celebrate the death of a beautiful animal.

We are just the opposite. We do celebrate and thank the animal for providing food and clothing to the village. We do it immediately after the hunt, when we return to the village ( bladder dance ) and at the end of the year ( Quviasukvik). Whales, walrus, seals are also celebrated at the time of the hunt, back at the village and at the end of the year, but thanks are given to Sedna for those animals. This is our tradition.

However; in addition to those customs or traditions, our immediate family will give thanks to the Lord, and my husband, father and grandfather will have a toast ( scotch whiskey) to a successful hunt and they will also light up a cigar at that time. this is done after we have dressed out the animal and it is secure back in camp or at home. I do not drink or smoke but have many other vices ;)

At the site: A fire, as it seems typically evening harvest, a tip of Jameson 12yr from the plastic flask, boneless prep with the first cuts of meat skewered over the fire - purity at it's finest.
With others, we pass around each other's flasked finest and have a mini feast of however much we desire to eat.

Camp: <see above> repeat though I typically pass on the whisky, etc and sub for hot tea.

Love those moments.

My favorite way to celebrate is to share the story of the hunt with my family and friends. I love hunting stories as much as I love hunting so sharing the story helps me relive the experience. Sometimes the memory of a past success is the only thing keeping me moving forward when a hunt gets hard.

Usually for me its getting to a spot with some cell service and telling the old man about the hunt and sending him a picture of the animal.

He's the one that got me into hunting so he always enjoys the story of the hunt.

Then usually tenderloins, chislic style

usually looking up the hill and thinking "maybe this was not the best spot" haha

Take a picture, make a phone call or two, then get that thing out of there. Not into that whole ritualistic thing people are doing these days. No problem if that is what your into, but not my jam. Get em out an celebrate at camp or at home on the grill and enjoy it.

Celebrate with a good job atta boy and then get atter.
After the chorein, then a good beer at a local establishment that welcomes hunters. A little fud and some good stories about past hunts. It isn’t about the killin but is about the doin and success should be celebrated.

Nothing to be ashamed of, beats watching Oprah or buying beef after someone else did the killn.

Admire the animal up close, take in the whole sensory experience, Pictures, text friends/family, call my wife, update my live hunt thread, splurge on my favorite junk food (fries, donuts, etc), prepare a fresh meal with heart, liver, and/or tenderloins, take pictures with my kids. Sometimes I will butcher the animal the same day and/or start a euro mount. The death of an animal is always a little sad for me. I also love to celebrate! I’m like a kid at Christmas.

My favorite way to celebrate is to share the story of the hunt with my family and friends. I love hunting stories as much as I love hunting so sharing the story helps me relive the experience. Sometimes the memory of a past success is the only thing keeping me moving forward when a hunt gets hard.
I love that. Remembering what we’re capable of. Our bodies are programmed to keep us too safe most of the time, and we must be mentally strong. There was a point in history when the 4 minute mile was thought to be impossible... Nothing beats sitting around a fire with my brother and best friend, and throwing out a “Remember that time...”

I don't celebrate. No high fiving or fist pumping or whooping. Go straight to work gutting it out and then getting it out. I'll take a photo of course ... if I remember. I see no reason to celebrate the death of a beautiful animal. Should be a sober moment to reflect on our own mortality. No drinking or cigar smoking back at camp either. Booze screws up my metabolism and then I don't sleep well. Smoking is stinky, dirty, and stupid. Occasionally I will go out for pizza and a lite beer with my brother after a day in the field but not dependent on shooting anything.

I have no issue with some one having this stance, but I struggle to reconcile this post from someone with Kudu on his avatar, and a house full of African game heads....

If this is how you feel, why did you fly all the way to Africa to kill things?

Celebrate?
Since I normally hunt alone, there is no one to celebrate with! LOL!
I don't celebrate until thd last package goes into the freezer.

My celebration is not only a successful hunt, making a clean kill, but completely processing the animal. Then the celebration, such as it is, is a bowl of chili, soup, butterflied fried loin, venison kielbasa or whatever.
I don't hunt simply for the kill. A kill is just icing on the cake.
I hunt to be outdoors.
I hunt to quietly watch the world wake up or go to sleep.
I hunt to achieve the satisfaction of a properly killed, cleaned and processed game animal and the blessings that puts pristine food on my plate.

I'll notch the tag and take some photos. Clean/process/pack out the animal.

But the biggest celebration? Either a good nap, or sleeping like a log afterwards, for as long as I please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back