How do we get the conservation groups to unite?

Hoopermat

I believe if the conservation groups United we would have a much more powerful voice in conservation and sportsmans issues.
Like the NRA we need a NCA
National Conservation Assosiation
It could lead us to a voice more powerful than any of the individuals groups can have.
As strong as REF or any others are united they would be 10 fold more.
So I ask you guys what you think

Do you think it would work.
Any of you DU,REF,MDF,BCA,delta waterfowl, or any other groups. What would stop something like this from happening?

We are watching our public lands being attacked and our hunting and gun rights being attacked and I for one am sick of it.

Welcome, great first post.

Would it work? I am sure it can work however I think getting all the different organizations together on the same page would be a challenge. creating a central lobby while it maybe effective might not be totally in line with each individual organizations goals and initiatives. Now with that said if we are talking about a single issue like PLT to states it maybe simpler then it sounds. Can it happen? Yes. Should it happen. Yes. Will it happen? ...I don't know.

I was thinking as In. The way of the NRA. Each group would still have a vested interest their species i.e. Waterfowl, elk, deer , land. But all under one roof. That way the funds are concentrated and can be used for a focused attack. The NRA has 5 mil members. And is the biggest group there is. A outdoors sportsmans group with all other said groups combined would effectively be larger.

I just don't see my voice that effective on a national stage without a sizable national group behind it.

The organization already exists. It's called American Wildlife Conservation Partners (AWCP). They are in constant communication on these issues.

The organization already exists. It's called American Wildlife Conservation Partners (AWCP). They are in constant communication on these issues.

Ok then why is it nobody's ever heard of them.
They need to be the one out on the front line not in back.
I have talked to a lot of people. Most outside of a very small group dont know anything about these issues. But everyone knows someone is after your guns.
Not to bring the NRA up again but we need that type of voice

Last edited:
That's exactly what in talking about. Look at all those groups.
They need to be united and have a front group that is loud and in your face.

We as sportsman are getting our tail kicked by those on the other side.
Now if these groups really mean what they say they would band together. If not
Then it proves they are all about the money.
Go ask random people about land transfer. Nobody knows what your talking about
Go ask them about assault rifles everyone has a opinion.

Anyone who wants to know more about the American Wildlife Conservation Partners can download their 28 page pdf here. https://www.nwtf.org/resource-library/detail/wildlife-21st-century-vol-5 it's actually not that long and very readable. (it's offered to all presidents every couple years. It's actually pretty amazing that so many diverse members can come to a general agreement. If you look at the membership most everyone is there. Go ahead and look up your favorite topic.

Hooper it's true they aren't loud and in your face. Many of those orgs listed as members have people in DC that try to influence legislation. The Congressional Sportsmen's Association I believe to be connected to the Congressional Sportsmen's Caucus, the largest caucus in congress. Hardly any legislation has passed at all over the past few years, and that's a problem. No sportsmen's act for instance. Because sportsmen's issues cut across a broad swath of both parties they try to not get people pissed off.

Beyond having an all encompassing organisation I'd like to see an org offer a way for self motivated sportsmen to get involved with issues especially at the state level where much is happening. Most orgs have gotten good with the internet, everyone knows how to facebook and tweet, and even two way communication such as this message board, but not much in the way of tools for being proactive.

So how do we do it?
How do we get that in your face?
How do we get our voice out so loud that every day people talk about it.
If you add up all the people that use our public lands we are the majority.
So how I ask. Most of us are willing to get involved but we need direction

This has been on my mind for a while I talk to people. But who am I. No one so I say we need a leader a point man a person or organization we can all get behind and push. Not stand but shout it out as loud as possible.

I think there needs to be more advertising at a larger scale. I really like the billboards that the Colorado Parks and Wildlife to promote the Hunter/Conservationist message.

Attachments

• CPW_hah.jpg
    CPW_hah.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 129
Naive question, with the 100th park anniversary today, I've seen a lot of posts on my facebook feed from my outdoor friends (non-hunting/fishing) actually bring up some of the management issues going on. My question is why are we limiting this to a how do we get conservation groups to unite. There is a multi-billion dollar outdoor industry which does not involve hunting/fishing (REI, North Face, Patagonia, etc), but whose business model is dependent on public land. Yes, there are disagreements on the "best" way to use public land, but that's just it, there has to be public land to begin with. Why are there no joint statements from these companies coming out and increasing awareness on the public land transfer debate. Google Outside magazine and land transfer, I get 2 articles 1 year apart. There is a sledge hammer out there that no one is calling out. I'm not discounting the voice sportsmen have, but reaching out to a completely different social group would rapidly expand the message.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back