How do I mix my own apple scented corn for deer?

WesSpivey

Hi everyone, lately apple scented deer corn has been hard to get my hands on! Any suggestions ideas or tips on how I can mix my own? Some have told me to mix apple juice into a bucket of corn lightly? I’ve heard that apple cider is good? Does anyone have any good corn mixtures? It’s legal to hunt over bait in Alabama as of this year! Thanks

Apple scent is a gimmick. If you put out bait they will find it, don't waste your money. Also, go to a feed store and get the corn. It will be half the price of retailers. It's illegal here but not where I used to hunt in WV. If everyone else around you is baiting then you need to as well. Just the way it is.

If you are trying to add something to the corn, I'd suggest molasses. Sometimes you can mix molasses with cheap commodity pellets to save money too.

Man you joined the wrong forum for baiting advice! Whether it’s legal and accepted in your region or not, the guys on here without any history, experience, or knowledge will just meet you with derision and mostly very unfavorable responses on the subject...

All that aside, I agree with @VAspeedgoat. Scented corn is a gimmick so they can make more money per bag. Nothing beats straight corn. All scent does here in Louisiana is just attract hogs faster. When it’s cold and there are no acorns the deer will go through a 50 lb bag a night. Adding scent does not increase their consumption or desire for it, it already has its own smell. I view scent on corn like flashy fishing lures, they’re made to catch fisherman more than fish!

On the subject of baiting itself, (if you have baiting experience you know this and can disregard the rest of this) I grew up from a kid doing it and everyone else did to. Where baiting has been historically legal It is not even close to the magic bullet people from non baiting states think it is. When every 40 acre plot of ground has a corn feeder on it after a while it becomes no different than every plot of ground having some good mast producing oaks. I actually have one property I hunt where it’s 160 acres surrounded by 12 different small properties that all are feeding corn to the point where I’ve put out corn and it takes 2 weeks to go through a whole bag (gravity free flow feeder). That’s rare but it happens, especially in a good mast year. Deer will skip a corn feeder for natural acorns every day of the week. When acorns are dropping hard I’ve watched hundreds of deer over the years walk right past that magical bait that supposedly fixes all of your hunting inadequacies without taking a bite. In heavily hunted areas feeders are big buck repellent. Mature bucks (there are exceptions to every rule) do not like feeders, most rednecks are sloppy and over the years they just associate them with humans because of all the scent and activity around them. Bait can be an effective way to help fill doe tags and shoot yearlings but it certainly isn’t the ticket to get the big ones moving to you in daylight. In fact the opposite, never ending surplus feed facilitates nocturnal activity. Deer are slaves to their bellies but when they are trained there is always a food source they don’t have to work for they are less likely to be on their feet in daylight hours looking for food. Bait helps dramatically in extreme cold but in Louisiana and Alabama that happens about one day a year! Anyway I’ll stop now, but I could go on forever on the subject, every region is different and whitetail behave dramatically different so your experience may be different than what I’ve said. Good luck however you choose to hunt! Feel free to pm with any questions

And if you do really still want to scent your corn, look into the products in the bear baiting world. There are a lot of products applicable for your intended purpose.

Apple scent is a gimmick. If you put out bait they will find it, don't waste your money. Also, go to a feed store and get the corn. It will be half the price of retailers. It's illegal here but not where I used to hunt in WV. If everyone else around you is baiting then you need to as well. Just the way it is.

If you are trying to add something to the corn, I'd suggest molasses. Sometimes you can mix molasses with cheap commodity pellets to save money too.
With as cheap as commodity prices are, I always suggest all the corn feeders down here in Texas to go find a farmer with some in his bin and pay him something in between market price and what it would retail for in a bag, and simply shovel some out.

Hi everyone, lately apple scented deer corn has been hard to get my hands on! Any suggestions ideas or tips on how I can mix my own? Some have told me to mix apple juice into a bucket of corn lightly? I’ve heard that apple cider is good? Does anyone have any good corn mixtures? It’s legal to hunt over bait in Alabama as of this year! Thanks

I've dumped cheap kool aid substitute on the ground mostly for hogs. Fermented wheat in postholes...etc. Never in the spinner hopper.

Last edited:
Back