Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

How do I field Score a Trophy Cow Elk?

I think we should start a scoring system and then become Certified for scoring.

Users can submit a 2-3 pound sample and the scorer will grade the meat and return an un-biased score.

We could include some criteria, such as Taste, Tenderness, Marbling. Taste could be a bit subjective - but I think most would agree that the training and certification process would alleviate that. Tenderness could be a sheer test, marbling could be either microscopic or maybe just a Crude Fat analysis.

I think a cut of backstrap would be the easiest to standardize - as most people know what the cut is.

We would also need some standard preparation methodology to limit variances.

I try to kill cows that don't have a calf...isn't hard to do if you pay attention.
We have debunked this theory. While dry cows do have more visible fat, the choice backstrap and tenderloin cuts are equally delicious in both wet and dry cows. It only takes a mile or so to get past the guilt of a calf following you on the pack out.

I can't believe no one mentioned this yet. Get a portable scale to pack then coax the cow elk one at a time onto the scale. Then, select the cow elk which is heaviest to maximize the most meat for your freezer. I use the Montana Cow Decoy and make some mews to close the distance to end up along side each each cow elk I think is worthy of notching the tag. I agree close to the truck or trailhead is a worthy consideration for those who previously earned the t-shirt for "3 miles deep, in the deadfall with 2,000 feet of incline to the truck." Good luck and stay safe out there.

Hopefully I can get my roadside cow this winter.... but I bet it’ll be 5 miles off the road, uphill both ways...

Don't shoot the only mature cow with a bunch of calves, that is the Nanna cow and she can be tough as shoe leather, found out last year.
She did have interesting whistlers though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back