Yeti GOBOX Collection

How do I display this?

My first question is how were the skulls cleaned without unlocking the horns?

It might be possible to mount the works to a plaque with a very long spacer for clearance but better be careful about how it's attached to one skull as the weight may be too much and break bones.

I like the idea of a pedestal mount. An old fence post might work but you will be looking at some serious attachment complexity to minimize damaging the skulls yet providing enough support. Frankly, I don't see any way this set can be simply hung on something. It might be possible to run the post up between and above the two racks and then support them with decorative chain(s) from the top of the post, somewhat like a hanging house plant. I bet I could figure out a way to use barbed wire instead of chains to make it look like the bucks got tangled in a fence and died. The post should be sturdily mounted to a base (supports covered with paper mache "habitat") and I would make the base revolving (go to recycle furniture store, pick up a junker bar stool, and strip the rotating seat mechanism - they also sell the mechanism at boat supply stores). Too bad I can't get my hands on it. I love this kind of challenge. To do it right will likely require some professional assistance. Or you could consider selling it to a taxidermist. They would love to have something like this in their showroom.

Edit: Thinking further about the fence post and barbed wire idea; a rusty old steel fence post might work well as it could be welded to a base. Or if using a wooden post, drill out the center and slip it over a steel rod welded to a base. Screw through sides of post into rod to anchor everything together.

Last edited:
Displaying them on a table or a taller dresser or book stand I like that idea also a lot! With the skull hooker I might be concerned about the skull portion holding the weight of both bucks that I might fracture and fall. I would hate to see them damaged and remain as is.

Maybe go to a couple taxidermists that you like and trust and have them look at them and see what kind of ideas they might have. They would be way better to ask this question than us knuckle draggers on here! Think of all the mounts they do and mounts that they see which gives them just such a huge variety that they can draw from. I'm pretty sure that they have seen or had to deal with trying to display quite a few locked sets like your son's.

I would never sell this especially since it belongs to your boy. Those two bucks locked together are a one in a million find.

Good luck.

Pedestal with a Y fashioned out of either twisted steel or a branch with connectors to the axis joint. Like a moly bolt.

For extra creative points on a lazy susan and bonus points for a battery driven motor to rotate slowly..

Displaying them on a table or a taller dresser or book stand I like that idea also a lot! With the skull hooker I might be concerned about the skull portion holding the weight of both bucks that I might fracture and fall. I would hate to see them damaged and remain as is.

Maybe go to a couple taxidermists that you like and trust and have them look at them and see what kind of ideas they might have. They would be way better to ask this question than us knuckle draggers on here! Think of all the mounts they do and mounts that they see which gives them just such a huge variety that they can draw from. I'm pretty sure that they have seen or had to deal with trying to display quite a few locked sets like your son's.

I would never sell this especially since it belongs to your boy. Those two bucks locked together are a one in a million find.

Good luck.
The boy didn't shoot it. If he sold it I suspect he could get almost enough to buy a fine hunting rifle which would be much more useful and just as memorable of his unique discovery. It is a very "neat" thing to find but really no sentimental value and, let's face it, a pain in the arse to display/store and carry with him through life. I'm betting he would get rid of it eventually.

I might take offense at the "knuckledragger" moniker ... but as you all know I have an incredibly thick skin. My daughter and I are in the taxidermy business. Personally, I would not want something like this in our showroom because at present we don't have the space. However, a big time operator would undoubtedly be interested, probably for a diorama display with full body mounts. Those are attention grabbers and ribbon winners at the big shows that draw rich clients.

Here's an example of a challenging cap mount this knuckledragger finished a couple of weeks ago. The bull suffered some kind of dramatic trauma in early summer that drove a stick into one antler during its development. As a result the antler became badly deformed with a brow tine growing out backwards and a separate palm behind the initial one. The piece of stick was still lodged in the antler bone. As you can see, the skull was also significantly deformed. Have to wonder how he survived the impact. I had to mount the cap on a pedestal attached to the plaque to get clearance for backward brow tine. Client wanted a barnboard look. I used 1" thick rough pine lumber and a mixture of stains. 20210121_043123.jpg20210116_175723.jpg

I apologize clearly you took my words not how they were meant. Knuckledraggers are us here on this site and that too is only meant in fun, certainly nothing meant to be mean spirited in any way. I'd be one of the leaders of the pack for sure.

I never thought about your selling it because as you state it has no real sentimental value. Again I did not mean anything demeaning or remotely so. He's a young lad and I just thought it was neat what he found. I agree with you suggestion ofr selling the set also. Someone would pay a good price for those to display in a home or lodge for sure. A few great photo shots of the locked pair with and without your son in the picture, outdoors possibly would be great for a photo album or a nice one to put on the wall. The new rifle he bought would have the sentimental value as every time he looked at his rifle he would remember how exactly he got it.

You got my meaning completely wrong and I was poking fun a myself as much as anyone else. Just having fun. I can't say anything else again except I am sorry you took it the way you obviously did. That was not my intention.

David

I apologize clearly you took my words not how they were meant. Knuckledraggers are us here on this site and that too is only meant in fun, certainly nothing meant to be mean spirited in any way. I'd be one of the leaders of the pack for sure.

I never thought about your selling it because as you state it has no real sentimental value. Again I did not mean anything demeaning or remotely so. He's a young lad and I just thought it was neat what he found. I agree with you suggestion ofr selling the set also. Someone would pay a good price for those to display in a home or lodge for sure. A few great photo shots of the locked pair with and without your son in the picture, outdoors possibly would be great for a photo album or a nice one to put on the wall. The new rifle he bought would have the sentimental value as every time he looked at his rifle he would remember how exactly he got it.

You got my meaning completely wrong and I was poking fun a myself as much as anyone else. Just having fun. I can't say anything else again except I am sorry you took it the way you obviously did. That was not my intention.

David
Oh, no worries! Not at all. I was only having fun with your poking fun at yourself/us. Sorry, I forgot the emoji for sarcasm.

I would get some nice wrought iron and either hang them or do a pedestal with the iron in the middle to support them. I know that doesn't make any damn sense, so here's a half-assed drawing.

Attachments

• 20210304_150951.jpg
    20210304_150951.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
My first question is how were the skulls cleaned without unlocking the horns?

It might be possible to mount the works to a plaque with a very long spacer for clearance but better be careful about how it's attached to one skull as the weight may be too much and break bones.

I like the idea of a pedestal mount. An old fence post might work but you will be looking at some serious attachment complexity to minimize damaging the skulls yet providing enough support. Frankly, I don't see any way this set can be simply hung on something. It might be possible to run the post up between and above the two racks and then support them with decorative chain(s) from the top of the post, somewhat like a hanging house plant. I bet I could figure out a way to use barbed wire instead of chains to make it look like the bucks got tangled in a fence and died. The post should be sturdily mounted to a base (supports covered with paper mache "habitat") and I would make the base revolving (go to recycle furniture store, pick up a junker bar stool, and strip the rotating seat mechanism - they also sell the mechanism at boat supply stores). Too bad I can't get my hands on it. I love this kind of challenge. To do it right will likely require some professional assistance. Or you could consider selling it to a taxidermist. They would love to have something like this in their showroom.

Edit: Thinking further about the fence post and barbed wire idea; a rusty old steel fence post might work well as it could be welded to a base. Or if using a wooden post, drill out the center and slip it over a steel rod welded to a base. Screw through sides of post into rod to anchor everything together.
The taxi beatled them. He was able to get them apart and put back together perfectly. The gnarly bucks browning is embedded in typical buck's face.

Good luck.
I asked the taxi who did it and he didn't have much for ideas. Another taxi I use proposed a pedestal mount with it angled and propped by a rock. The rock idea sounds cool, but also like a PITA.

my only other suggestion is having them removable from however you mount them. I love being able to handle mine whenever I want

Skull max free standing with the lower head touching to provide some support and take a little weight? It will be mounted on top of our TV armoire or kitchen cabinets so I want it propped up a bit..

That’s an amazing find!

what if you made a pedestal with 2 fence post types where you could tie each skull to.....

or mount 1 and leave the second free as a conversation piece

That’s an amazing find!

what if you made a pedestal with 2 fence post types where you could tie each skull to.....

or mount 1 and leave the second free as a conversation piece
I want to keep stuck together because that's what makes it so unique. I like all the fence post ideas, but I want to set it up on my kitchen cabinets or TV armoire so that makes it difficult.

The lockhorn in Bozeman has two moose euros locked up that's pretty cool. I'd try one of the euro brackets that gets the heads a bit of clearance from the wall and then just attach one head to that.

I want to keep stuck together because that's what makes it so unique. I like all the fence post ideas, but I want to set it up on my kitchen cabinets or TV armoire so that makes it difficult.
you could cut post and base down to mini size
just tall enough to mount skulls

Skull Hooker for elk might give enough clearance from wall but again be careful how you attach to deer skull without risking damaging it. Might want to think about adding a piece of board to back of supporting skull for reinforcement. Like I did for this buffalo skull. It is really hard to theorize about displaying something so irregular in shape and balance without actually having it in hand. 20201008_114835.jpg20200407_115649.jpg

So I sent pics and talked to a guy at Skull Max. He said their desk mount would easily handle the weight, especially if I tilt them downwards and I angle them so they would touch cabinet top. It's spendy, but I think it will work well. I might get a piece of driftwood to support them at the bottom. I'm lazy with this stuff and there's fish to catch.

Attachments

• 20200702_133816.jpg
    20200702_133816.jpg
    582 KB · Views: 2
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back