Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

How 'bout a bear story?

View

Here is a picture of a nice blackie we took this fall. We had hunted for three days before coming unto this bear's track in the snow. This was an unusual hunt because we seldom hunt bear when there is snow on the ground. The track from this dude was about 8-10 hours old when I found it. We put the hounds on this track and they tore it up! They ran it so well that we threw in pups and all, and what beautiful music they made! The dogs ran this bear up one ridge, then back down into the canyon we were in, then over the opposite ridge and into the next canyon. It was about a three mile race before they put this guy up. During late season hunts it is common to run boars (males) as the sows (females) and cubs are usually denned up by this time, so we knew this was a good sized boar. After reaching the tree about two hours later, we were elated to see this bear sitting on a branch about 50 feet off the ground. The joy did not last too long though, upon checking the hounds we found that three of them had been torn up pretty good by the bear. The worst was one of our best dogs, he had a canine tooth dangling by a thread and had been bit through the shoulder. Even now, three months later, he is still limping but we have been working with him to get him back up to par and hopefully he will make a complete recovery. The other two had some bite wounds, but healed up fine after a couple of weeks.

We did not weigh this bear as we had to skin him to back pack him out, but I guess he weighed about 300#.

By the way, the walker in the picture (white chest) is the male that I have for sale.

------------------
http://members.aol.com/bearckadv

[email protected]
cat08.gif

BCA nice bear you have there. I have hunted bear in my homestate of Idaho for 4 yers taking 3 bear. I don''t use dogs but have been out with them. I know there are big'ns around here but they hit bait later in the evening and later in the season. Hound hunters around here do WELL.

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> AKA Moose Hunter
<LI> www.huntandlodge.com

moose.gif

[/list]

Hey Moosie,

Nice to see you back, I was wondering if you had become MIA. I just wanted to thank you for offering this site. It has definately become one of my favorite hunting sites! Thanks again.

Eric

BCA- Great story and a heck of a nice bear!!!!! I wanna hunt bears so bad with dogs I cant stand it!!! Wish it was legalk in Wyoming but I guess we'll have to go to Idaho or New Mexico to do it! Been checking it out a little, and havent decided where to go yet for sure. Excellent bear and story, post more, we sure enjoy them. He looks bigger than 300 pounds! bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

How about I hunt bears w/ both of you down in NM?~?~~ How bout it BCA, We could work out a deal couldn't we ?!?!?

Also, I don't visit this section too much, I spend 2+ hours on this forum and answer 30+ E-mails a day. Plus work 8 hours (I hesitate to put that because most say I never work!!
smile.gif
...am still trying to get my other site up www.huntandlodge.com. You will have mail from me soon on that topic
biggrin.gif
Hehehe

Anyways Nice bear !!!

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> AKA Moose Hunter
<LI> www.huntandlodge.com

moose.gif

[/list]

BCA-So you can potentially hunt either lions or bears at the same time there? That is GREAT. When do they go into hibernation here as a rule? Our bears here disappear in November usually.bcat Is that an Airdale in the left of the picture?

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

[This message has been edited by bcat (edited 01-05-2001).]

Man I never get tired of the stories and pictures. I agree with bcat he looks bigger than 300. Great job BCA!! Keep um comin!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back