How big is this wolf?

cantgetdrawn

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/video?clipId=301866

There is a news story from Vancouver Island of a wolf attacking a group of adult medium/large size dogs and dragging one of the dogs off.

The dogs seem decent size but the wolf had little trouble dragging one off. I am curious as to what the estimates of this wolf's weight from the experts on here.

He's not as big as he looks with as much hair as they have, but the smaller dogs are obviously no match for him. The guy in the interview says he has a gun and all he does is take video of the whole thing when the wolf is right in town---DUH!!!

250 pounds and he's got a bionic set of jaws. It's one of those non-native imported Siberian wolves.

Smart wolf, instead of killing the dog right away and having to carry the dead body, he led it to where he wanted to kill it and then dispatched the dog.

The dog lover in me would like to kick the camera man in the head for not going out and scaring it off.

I'd say #80. Maybe there is a place in this world for big pit bulls!? I'd consider raising one if I had this problem.

A big pit bull would have no chance against a wolf. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Ever seen one up close? mtmuley

Any wolf raised as wild would decimate any domesitic dog without regard to size . Wolves as puppies are trained to be killers.

So wolves are 250 lb bionic beasts, and if a poor pit bull was ever unlucky enough to lock its jaws onto to the wolf's throat it would just shake it off, probably breaking the pit bull's teeth in the process. Is that about right?

I watched a lone wolf drag a dead mature bull elk up a hill.any domestic dog would last about 2 seconds with a wolf.that discussion is a simple waste of time.

I love these internet discussions. Mankind has been breeding dogs to protect livestock and chase wolves for millennia. Pit bulls probably would lose to wolves most of the time, so I would prefer a bigger dog to protect humans from wolves. Having said that, pits can be trained to lock onto bigger canines throats. Their size actually gives them an advantage in that and once a pits grabs on to the throat, it locks its jaws and its opponent doesn't last long.

Since this is an internet discussion I did a quick search and found a very old video (probably staged) of a dog killing some wolves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3170gvlnPwU

Last edited:
I watched a lone wolf drag a dead mature bull elk up a hill.any domestic dog would last about 2 seconds with a wolf.that discussion is a simple waste of time.

Must have been that 250 pound wolf.

That is one crazy video. I can't get over how the wolves are not afraid of the people filming

I have no idea who would win in a fight between a wolf and pitbull. Without staging an actual fight it's difficult to say what would really happen. I can say that I have watched video of some pitbull fights and it was unbelievable what those animals can do in a fight.

From my perspective the wolf seem to be a much more well rounded predator with the ability to run long distances, jump, outrun prey, survive cold weather, etc.. versus the pit which is really only bread to do 1 thing.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back