How big is he?

nbell

I am curious what you guys think on this buck. Here is a picture of him mid June 18th, and another on July 19th. One, I know he is big, but how big do you guys think. How much more growth will he put on before he is done. After I got one picture of him on a trail camera, I have been able to get a few more with my hand held, and seen him 8 or 10 times. I hope he is still around on the 1st of Sep. Even if he isn't, this buck is a lot of fun to look at.
HUNT0314.jpg
HUNT0195.jpg
HUNT0194.jpg

that big in june ----- 175! being optimistic for your sake I hope he is... if he turns out not to be, let him grow another season.
10 or 11 pts?
the last pic there shows some good mass.

Not wanting to start a pizzing contest, but you don't seem to have any idea how big a whitetail has to be to score 175". That buck is nice, but he doesn't have much mass seeing as how he's in velvet and not one point looks to be even 8" long. He is nowhere near 175" and won't be when he's done growing this year. He's got good width and that's really his best attribute. Give him at least one more year and probably two before you even start talking 175" class on that deer.

Last edited:
Here are a few more of him from the last week. I have found where he is eating and bedding, all I have to do is put my self right in between the two next week and hope the arrow flys true. Pretty simple right:confused:
SUNP0067.jpg

SUNP0068.jpg

SUNP0069.jpg

He's a really cool buck, but man he didn't grow much in the last month. Judging by the July pics, I'd have thought he'd end up a monster.

I'm not sure he is an "old" buck. Looks of course can be deceiving, but is he a three or four yr old?

His drivers side is 160 class, but he might not make it there with his passenger side.

He'll score real well on mass and with the extras he should probably pretty close to 160 gross.

I wonder if you would score the extra brows down low as the G1's and the big split brows as G2's or score the big split brows as G1's and the extra brows down low as nontypicals.

He's going to get hammered on net, but nets are for fish anyway.

Last edited:
I've got him grossing in the low 140s.

Mass looks great, but really doesn't help score much. We've killed three really heavy massed bucks and none of them scored as high as we guessed. In comparison, all the long tined bucks we've killed have scored better than expected.

The split brow would have to count as the G1, and the base point and split off the brow would be nontypical points.

He definitely has cool factor though, I wouldn't think twice about killing him.

Last edited:
When I looked at the July pics I thought he would make 160's, now when I go through my best guesses, I get anywhere from 148 to 152. No matter what he scores, he would be my best whitey, and will be shot on sight if located.

Very cool buck with lots of character, so for me score goes out the window. He'd be dead if he was in my site window.

Just shoot! You can't put a number on character and that buck has it.

Good luck!

High cool factor. Me likey. Agree with Randy 11 on the numba's.

...ain't nuthin' wrong with a 140 class whitey.

Dont worry about the score he is a beautiful buck. He looks young though. Not sure the age as I have never been whitetail hunting as I am out on the west coast.

I don't think he would get over 150" and if so not by much. This is a small deer by my standards and area but for your area if he is considered big then have fun hunting him and let us know what he scores later on.
Here is a buck that scored over 160. As you can see there is a big difference in the amount of bone on there head.
swampyspot407.jpg

swampyspot406.jpg

Here is one that scored 175 to compare as well.
2009deer005.jpg

2009deer008.jpg

2009deer010.jpg

he's probably mid 160's but when the velvet comes off he'll be a little smaller but he's still a fantastic buck to look at. good luck and i hope you can put him on the ground

Back