HOW ARE AZ FIRES GOING TO EFFECT 3A&3C

CAPTAIN HOOK

I JUST FOUND OUT THAT I GOT DRAWN FOR ELK IN 3A & 3C. I PUT IN FOR THE DRAW PRIOR TO THE IDIOTS STARTING THE FIRE. I AM WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS AN IDEA HOW THE ELK WILL BE OR THE BEST WAY TO HUNT THEM. WITH THE TREES AND BRUSH BURNT, IT COULD BE AN ADVANTAGE AND DISADVANTAGE. IF ANYONE HAS ANY FEED BACK IT WOULD BE GREAT. I WOULD LIKE TO START SCOUTING IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEK UNTIL OCTOBER. THANKS FOR YOU HELP!

CAPTAIN HOOK

Well, Cap'n, you may be hunting for BBQ'd Elk. The majority of the fire that burned on public land, burned in the south end of 3C. If you are hunting that area, I suggest the you concentrate on the area along the edge of the fire. There will probably be elk transitioning back and forth all the time. They will return to the fringe areas that burned but will move to the unburned areas to feed. There are some really good areas right at the junction of 3A and 3C just above Aripine. Good luck.

:cool:

Captain,
Like Danr55 said, I would hunt the edges of the burn area.
Hope for more rain to get the late season grasses going, if they do it will be a banner year for you.
I have hunt burns near flagstaff for deer and have seen a lot of elk using them very soon after they were out. The same week even.
Good luck and we will all need it.

MAke sure you can shoot over 300 yards or at least up to and then just pick and choose your elk.... The grass's will be there by the time your hunt is unless the snow is there.. going to be easy pickin's

Delw

I don't know how it is in Az., but up here when there is a fire, it only takes a few weeks fro the new grasses to sprout up. Hunting a burn area can be very rewarding.

Want to know how soon an elk will use the burn area?
Get your butt out there now and look at them all, that is if the forest is open after the rains we got.
Here's an interesting note:
My friend's wife works for G&F. He told me that Wes Keyes(sp) was out filming the burn area and they saw a bull standing in the middle of the badly burned area. They went closer and one side of it was burned and no hair left. They then went closer to look at it, and it was standing there dead? Now, I don't know if I actually beleive that, but it would be a weird site. And NO, he would not tell me where it was so I could go recover the antlers:(

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-17-2002 09:17: Message edited by: Mntman ]</font>

I have to send that to Tice Supplee and see what she says. That one is too good to pass up.....

:cool:

Back