Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

How accurate is this map?

huntlife

Is this pretty close? Since Im moving up there in a few weeks, I kinda got interested in grizzly bears. Id love to see one, but from a distance.

Attachments

• griz map.jpg
    griz map.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 2,746
That map seems to be displaying areas overseen by different subcommittees and not necessarily griz' current habitat. As to what it does display about griz distribution, I think drahthaar is right about core areas, except for the Selway and in Washington state. But there have been numerous Grizz sightings outside of the areas listed on that map.

That map is leaving out the Madison range, the Gravellys, and quite a few other places where grizzlies have been established for a while. So as far as displaying Grizz distribution goes, I did say that map is getting less accurate every day.

On their website I believe the Montana FW P has a map of current griz habitat.

Not very accurate, as there is no core area in the North Cascades in Washington. There has only been one sighting that was even close to a confirmed griz.

That map has pretty crude detail, and I wouldn't put any stock in it. I would just assume you have the potential to see one from the Rocky Mountain Front and adjacent prairies all the way to the Idaho border, and take appropriate precautions.

It would be much more accurate if the Idaho panhandle and all of western Montana was marked. I have seen grizzlies down in Dillon, and their tracks just west of fort Benton. you'll have a pretty good shot at seeing one in Montana I bet

I think FWP has a better map in the Bear Regulations. Basically if you connect the blobs in MT and ID you'd have a general potential habitat. My boss has a trail cam pick of a bear that looks suspiciously like a grizzly (the angle is quite right for positive ID) that was taken not far from Dillon.

EDIT: If you really want to see one spend some time hiking in early summer in Glacier and Yellowstone. Last year we saw so many grizzlies it was uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Yeah... Not very accurate at all in Montana from what I've seen.

You could almost completely remove that area 4. They pass through, but to call it a population is just not true.

As mentioned above, the Gravelly/Ruby/Snowcrest has a very established population that isn't marked on that map.

You "could" see them anywhere in the mountains in Montana, but the only places you should really expect them to be around are the areas 2, 3, and 5 on that map, plus the above mentioned Ruby area.

Why is the F&G is reluctant to acknowledge the sightings of grizzly bears, even when pictures of orange collared grizzly are shown to them?
Could this be part of why the map is not even close?

I got curious because the map is missing the obvious Gravellies/Madison for established populations. ... best I can tell those are the "Recovery Zones" (Whatever that means). The bears occasionally travel far so you can theoretically see them about anywhere (like around Great Falls).

I only browsed it, but the article I found the map in is about corridors and might be of interest to some: [Walker, Craighead, 1997]

Hiking in (or driving) Yellowstone is a good way to spot one, but it is not wise to sneak around looking for one. They were scary thick in the Buffalo Fork area of north of and inside Yellowstone this summer. They are also up the Lamar. The warm weather actually brought them out of hibernation last week.

Attachments

• p1162.gif
    p1162.gif
    19.5 KB · Views: 922
Last edited:
Just carry pepper spray and wear some bells around your neck for noise. It'll be FINE!

The down side to bowhunting is you have to sneak around. I really do want to see one! But, I want some realestate between me and it! I can tell its going to be interesting living up there! We have black bears here. Im ok with them. Up there, add in grizzlies, mountain lions, and wolves, its going to be interesting! Plus, I know there are some rattle snakes there too.

Ok, how bad are the snakes? Im not very worried about them. We have three types of rattlers, copperheads, cotton mouths, and coral snakes here, plus all the non-poisonous snakes. I dont like them, bot Im not terrified either.

Last edited:
Well I do not think it would take very long to see one over by Red Lodge MT nowadays as they have killed a couple troublesome bears to the North East area around the town of Bear Creek the last couple years among other stories I have heard close to town.

From my perspective, your chances of seeing one outside of a park are slim. I have hunted northern idaho for elk and deer, central mountains for elk and deer, area around yellowstone for elk and deer and bear, southeast Idaho for elk and deer. In 30 plus years of practically walking around with bacon bits in my pocket I have seen exactly 1 bear in Idaho. A black bear on the clearwater river. I did see what I would call grizz tracks in unit 59 once but no bear.
I see them all the time in Alaska and Yellowstone.

From my perspective, your chances of seeing one outside of a park are slim. I have hunted northern idaho for elk and deer, central mountains for elk and deer, area around yellowstone for elk and deer and bear, southeast Idaho for elk and deer. In 30 plus years of practically walking around with bacon bits in my pocket I have seen exactly 1 bear in Idaho. A black bear on the clearwater river. I did see what I would call grizz tracks in unit 59 once but no bear.
I see them all the time in Alaska and Yellowstone.

1 bear ever? Are we walking the same woods?

I see a bear about every other day I go hunting in units 39, 33, 34, 35 and 32. They are a hell of a lot easier for me to spot than a mule deer.

Curious if would go to Africa to walk around looking for a lion or to Asia to walk around to look for a tiger? Perhaps, scuba dive off South Africa to look for a great white shark? Not judging. Curious, though.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back