Caribou Gear

how about a 22 mag

tnctcb

Maybe im crazy but I would think( except in areas where long shots are commonplace) that a 22 mag would be a great coyote rifle.Its flat, fast and realativley cheap to shoot.We dont have many yotes here in florida but everyone is talking about small holes to save the hides when they are wanted so it seems perfect. If this isnt good please tell me why and tell me what a 22wmr is good for that a .22 lr wont do,we have feral hogs here and wmr"s work well as long as you make a head shot AND are in a treestand or a truck but what are the more common uses for this great little gun :eek:

Read an article some time back about the old time great houndsmen that hunted mountain lions and black bears. I can't remember his name, but the article cited him as one of the best ever and he used nothing but a .22 WRM. The same guy always traveled on foot with his pack of dogs too...great story I wish I could find it.

The .22 mag will work great on coyotes, as long as you keep the range reasonable and make good shots. I wouldn't use it past 100 yards and definitely use hollowpoints or softpoints. You won't get the dramatic performance of a centerfire .22, but the hides should survive better.

I use mine a lot on ground squirrels as a walk around rifle. I'm looking at a lightweight .223 for the same role, though. I just can't get my .22 mag to group as well as a .223. ;)

"wouldn't use it past 100 yards and definitely use hollowpoints or softpoints."
what other types are there?

I often hear of people using the full metal jacket bullets in order to minimize fur damage. Given the fact that the .22 mag is on the light side for coyotes, I do not feel the FMJ bullets should be used. (Unless you're able to make a head shot on a 2 or 3 inch moving target with a gun that probably is lucky to shoot 1 1/2 inch groups....)

Ive killed lots of coyotes,and with a 22mag. like others say its best to keep it under 100 yards. Hollow points I have found to be the best...Calif Hunter is right unless you have good ammo and a real good gun you should expect 1.5" groups.

Delw

One of my favorite callin rigs is a 20ga-22mag o/u , use the hollow points as suggested, it's a lot of fun, even took a dble once... h2m

HUNT2MUCH

you by chance woldnt be talking about the old stevens with the silver plated sides, and has engraving of a fox on one side and a turkey on the other? Also has a hammer with a selctor switch and is 3" mag on the 20 guage..Dad has one of those and I have killed many of yotes with it...

Winchester, Federal, PMC and CCI all make FMJ rounds for the .22 mag. Some are better jackets than others. The CCI version, for example, looks more like a plated bullet than a true full metal jacket.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back