Hot tent or camping tent

WVmike

I’m looking purchase a shelter for hunting here in WV and also out west in MT, WY, CO and ID in the future. I generally rifle hunt so I’ll be hunting in October and November more times than not. What do the hunters that have hunted in these states recommend? I will have a 20 degree bag and I am comfortable with sleeping in base layers and I generally sleep hot anyways. I have looked at the luxe megahorn 4p for a hot tent or possibly something from Kifaru for a stoveless setup. My budget is about $400 possibly $500 to include a stove.

If you plan to be out here (intermountain West) in OCT and NOV I would go with the stove capability for comfort and the "oh shiz" factor of severe weather. I would also consider at LEAST a 0f sleeping bag. For reference, I generally hunt 2nd season here in CO which is around the 4th week of OCT. In that season, with a camp just under 10,000 feet, in 8 years I have experienced everything from around 70 to -10. I ALWAYS suggest preparing for the worst you could experience. Seems to be varying reviews on the Luxe products and getting a sturdy, stove capable tent AND stove for your budget may be a bit of a stretch.

If your budget is such that $500 is a limiting factor,, big game hunting in the west is presently a mirage. So, I think you should get what works for your deer hunting in West Virginia.

November in the west can have weather extremes. I have been camping more than once where it was in the negative teens. One year I needed a sledge hammer to break ice in the creek to get water for my horse.

Are you backpacking or car/truck camping?
I will more than likely be going next year or the year after so I will be able to acquire more gear by then. I would like to be able to base camp close to a road that way if selected spots are any good or there is a lot of pressure I can hit plan b,c,d and so on. I would be willing to backpack hunt. I guess it will depend on the terrain and the unit that I choose.

I have been researching the seek outside cimarron tent and it seems to be a do it all shelter. Any of you out there using one of these and if so do you use the seek outside stove or lite outdoors or another brand?

I’ve run SO for a quite a few years. Started out with a 4 man tipi then an LBO, DST, Silvertip and now own a Silex for run and gun and a Cimarron for a hot tent crapy weather hot tent. The Cimarron is the multi tool of all floorless. Fits my wife and I with a lab in a half nest or 2 guys and a stove. I’d still like to pick up an 8 man to round out the fleet. I use SO medium box stove now but would seriously consider a large u-turn if I was buying new.View attachment 9D33E225-8E62-4251-AEF1-428FE7ECFED0.jpeg4D7A6B73-84BC-4ABF-B917-9D57EB08C811.jpeg

I’m looking purchase a shelter for hunting here in WV and also out west in MT, WY, CO and ID in the future. I generally rifle hunt so I’ll be hunting in October and November more times than not. What do the hunters that have hunted in these states recommend? I will have a 20 degree bag and I am comfortable with sleeping in base layers and I generally sleep hot anyways. I have looked at the luxe megahorn 4p for a hot tent or possibly something from Kifaru for a stoveless setup. My budget is about $400 possibly $500 to include a stove.

A hot tent would be ideal for late fall, but that may be a little out of your budget unless you can find a used tipi/stove setup. If you have a 20* bag already I'd get the warmest bag liner you can find, that will give you a little more leeway. I use a 15* bag most of the fall and I have a down liner I'll throw in it for the November hunts which keeps me pretty warm.

I think the best combination of hunting tent and stove is Pomoly HEX Plus hot tent and T1 Tent Stove.
HEX Plus hot tent uses 300D Oxford cloth, which is stronger and more durable than canvas.
T1 Tent Stove is made of 1mm titanium plate, which is not easy to deform and strong.
I think the combination of these two products can be used for more than ten years.
From the budget point of view.
This can be Pomoly HXE Plus Hot Tent and Liteoutdoors Titanium stove.
You can also choose the Tentsme wood tent stove for the tent stove, these two tent stoves are cheap.

I will be purchasing a seek outside cimarron in the near future and will be picking up a lite outdoors or kifaru stove to go along with it. Thanks for all the input!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back