Hot in the hunt. Ruger #1

Redmt

I'm hunting a "new to me" Ruger #1 in 22-250. There's several on Gun Broker. There's a very nice Stainless -laminate at $1750. Are there any opinions on price? Anything to look out for? I don't have a bid on it so I'm still open to other suggestions if there's anything comparable available.

I think it comes down to what you are wanting if there is a sentimental type "want" for it, the price is high but they all are now. I have a soft spot for #1s and tang safety Rugers. Hope you get it.

I’vemore of them than I should. I’ve pretty much retired my bolt guns during hunting season. Simply love hunting with them. There is an old adage regards #1s ’if they are for sale they don’t shoot. Some simple bedding work and stress relieving will shape them right up. I’ve had my .22-250 since the late 70s, won’t shoot anything over 55 grain cup and core or bonded bullets. First thing I ask is have they made any modifications, common for folks to attempt to free float the bbl to get them to shoot. If it has been floated likely indication it wasn’t shooting very well. Another modification is installing the Hicks accurizer. Generally those improve things but ask if they bedded it, better if they did.
As far as initial evaluation I look at the block first, if you see rust there I’d pass on it. Make sure the butt stock is tight and the forend is tight to the receiver. If the foreend flexs toward the bbl. It was likely free floated or had the hicks compensator installed incorrectly. My .22-250 shot pretty well out of the box, I did instal a hicks and took it from just under 1 moa to a solid 1/2 moa with 55 gr. Armageddon’s and Varget. I did triggers on 243; 257 Roberts and a 7x57 as well as the Hicks compensators. All three of those shoot sub 1/2 MOA. They all use to string up and to the right as the gun warmed up. If you buy the rifle and you see it stringing, regardless of it being a heavy bbl or not, give it plenty of time to cool between shots. That’s what I did with the three mid range guns. If they shoot when you let them cool then it’s worth investing a few buck and and afternoon doing some work.
Most of them, including my 22-250 like to be pushed, even the big bores. Never take anyone’s advice about loading hot.
good luck, they will be the last of my guns I sell. I hope you enjoy yours.
you should be able to do better than 1750, generally the there are more 22-250s for sale than any other caliber. I always waited for the true penny auction, 1500 would be about right.

Last edited:
Seems like a few years ago the "new" ones of various calibers were going for around $1500, so $1750 in stainless doesn't seem terrible. Just don't be like me and buy a rifle but then a few weeks later see the same one for a substantially cheaper price.

I'm hunting a "new to me" Ruger #1 in 22-250. There's several on Gun Broker. There's a very nice Stainless -laminate at $1750. Are there any opinions on price? Anything to look out for? I don't have a bid on it so I'm still open to other suggestions if there's anything comparable available.
I’ve picked up a few more of them in the last couple years. Some were local and some were off of gun broaker. Prices were from 800$(a steal) to 1450$. All were in new condition red pads. ( older) things add up pretty quickly with gun broaker , state sales tax,shipping and fees

If your patriotic and willing to spend a little more. Maybe you can find one from 1976 production, they are stamped "year of our liberty" on the barrel which I always thought was cool.

I hate to post the link,,,but this is what I'm looking at.
I have 100 different ways to justify it. I guess the biggie is my buddy that passed away 2 months ago tomorrow loved them. I shot a couple of his and see why. Another reason is I really like the stainless/ laminate.
I figured it was pretty high and the guys that know what they're looking passed on it because it was too high a price. I'm going to take a shot at it (no pun intended).

I hate to post the link,,,but this is what I'm looking at.
I have 100 different ways to justify it. I guess the biggie is my buddy that passed away 2 months ago tomorrow loved them. I shot a couple of his and see why. Another reason is I really like the stainless/ laminate.
I figured it was pretty high and the guys that know what they're looking passed on it because it was too high a price. I'm going to take a shot at it (no pun intended).
Just an fyi sometimes if they don’t get any bites on a gun they will relist it and SOMETIMES lower the starting price

I had thought of that. I kinda doubt that they would lower the price by much. 50-100 bucks isn't enough to possibly loose out on the stainless. There's quite a few more available but some are pretty beat up for not too cheap and others aren't the caliber I'd prefer.
I can talk myself into it pretty easily.

Currently Looking for a #1 International in 7X57 if anyone happens to see anything. Been in love w those rifles since I was a little kid looking through my pop’s Gun Digest n others

Go for it. I’ve never regretted any of the ones I bought. Actually the 243s were a PIA think I went through three of them to get a shooter.

I have two Ruger 1B's in 6mm Remington and 30-06. Love the Ruger #1's. They are great to carry and both of mine shot exceptionally well. One I had the fore-end bedded. Great feeling and handling firearms. One shot one kill!

1704766073306.png Two different powders same bullet. Both shot great.

4x scope 30-06 at 400 yards. 3" circle
1704766168606.png
6mm 1B using 90gr. Accubonds.
1704766210898.png

1704766396752.png
You better just buy the darn thing! Congratulations on a fine rifle!

@Redmt

Seems to be quite a bit of buzz around em at the moment, but I can't be objective about them as I've jones'd for em since first seeing them 'live'. Sure don't see em getting cheaper. I would not rule out a blued walnut either.

Good looking rifle. Maybe other potential buyers didn't bite because it's a new seller not yet rated. However, he is Gunbroker "verified" so that helps. Paying by credit card is also potentially another layer of protection. Good luck

If your patriotic and willing to spend a little more. Maybe you can find one from 1976 production, they are stamped "year of our liberty" on the barrel which I always thought was cool.
I have a tag safety and shot the barrel out. Still have the barrel:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Before the crazy I found a 25-06 with beautiful grain online from a pawnshop for just under 1K in Arizona. Nary a scratch nor mar, bore appeared never fired. Clovered 100g TSX with a FX3 gloss fixed 6X I put on it. Components were still reasonable and plentiful. Sold it even cheaper to a good friend with a handshake I could buy it back at the same price were he ever compelled to part with it.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back