Horse owners?

Miles and miles on the trails is what it is all about. Like any "sport" the more you do the safer it gets. If you can't ride every week or so, use horses that are. We ride the same trails so our horses learn the routine.

I ride a fox trotter and my wife rides my ass (uh, I mean mule) ;)

They can all hurt you. Use the horse if you can for a few weeks (20 - 50 miles) on the trails before you buy. They all have a quirk, but some have more quirks than others. My wife and I put on 200 - 400 miles each season on the trails around Bozeman and the Park. We camp over night in the Park with our horses. Be ready for quick moves from your pony at ALL times. they all spook from time to time. The trails have unexpected blow down. You have to cross bridges and mud. they have to be tied to trees for hours some times. Do they know hopples and picket lines? Do they load in trailers without a fight. No bite, no kick, no buck.

Keeping horses on your property is a constant job. We do it on a few acres, but it is a full time job. do you have someone to feed them and watch them when you are gone?

A horse is what you make it,doesn't matter the breed or sex, if you don't have time year round to ride,then you are asking for trouble come huntin season.Wet saddle blankets and more wet saddle blankets and huntin season will be a delight.

Well, I went on a about an hour trail ride tonight with my kids and their teacher. It was a good experience and pretty much cemented that I'd like to move forward with this.

They let me ride a 10 y/o gelding named Cowboy. He was a very nice and easy horse to ride, reigned very well. He pretty much new the routine, but would still let me be in control.

I got to break down the TAC, brush him and halter him out to his pen(with the help of my daughter).

It did me proud to see how well my 17 y/o daughter does with horses though. I think she may have a future in horses after college.

To learn more about handling horses look up Back Country Horsemen in your area, they are educators and service providers for the Forest Service and a good bunch of people to learn about Horsemanship and packing in the back country.

Well Zach while you were still thinking I went out and bought another :D Found a great looking Palomino mare that kids can ride. She needs some work for mountain situations but I got her for a steal. Going to send her to a good trainer in the late winter/spring to work on some of those things and then be riding strong this summer. Glad you had a good time.

Lucky to know a farrier

If you trust the farrier don't buy without him checking out the horse first. If he can shoe a horse he will know a lot more than most about what to look for in a horse or mule.
As mentioned before-horses are a way of life and a year round job and not just a tool like a atv that has a key to start and ride up the steep mountains anytime you like. Horses have to be conditioned in the spring and summer if you expect to ride in the fall and winter.
Horses and mules should be a way of life for your family.

Well Zach while you were still thinking I went out and bought another :D Found a great looking Palomino mare that kids can ride. She needs some work for mountain situations but I got her for a steal. Going to send her to a good trainer in the late winter/spring to work on some of those things and then be riding strong this summer. Glad you had a good time.

Very Cool! I'm sure it'll happen in the next 3/4 months. I need to make sure the stalls are up to snuff at my in-laws. They also just added another 100 acres to their place, so that's more grazing land, but I need to wait for the surveyor to finish marking so I can start fencing it off.

The teachers that my kids learn from has a long list of experience, and I'll pool more knowledge from them as well. They just happen to be our Pastor and His wife as well. They used to ranch and rodeo.

I'm very thankful to have some good friends to help us out. Oh yeah, now I have 2 Ferrier friends to seek advice from, but great God fearing men who will be 100% honest with me.

I'll update when Chapter 2 begins....

Free to any home! 24 year old pa show horse that won tons of ribbons and went to state finals doing trail. Can't ride any more,sore back. Must pick up this week while my daughter is on vacation in California. Preferably at night wearing a ski mask. I might even give you a bag of money with him,one months boarding,and a case of beer.

Just kidding. How long do horses live anyway?

Assuming good genetics and care....a long time! I put a 33 yr old mare in the ground 2 yrs ago.

Just put down my wife's 27 year old mare this morning. I know how you feel PA MTman.

Well, here we are 8 months later.

I haven't bought a horse yet, but my recent high school graduate did. We are looking for a 2nd horse though.

Here is Jet
IMG_1824%20-%20Copy-L.jpg

I had a blast this last weekend doing a wagon train ride on the eastern CO prairie.

Zach, I've been packing "back in" with horses for many years now..nothing like it. It allows you to get to places that you can hunt elk acting like elk, rather than running for their lives. Nothing like being on a steed at 10'000' in late November with the snow drifting into your face as you try and scan the low side of a mountain. A horse can walk right upon a herd where you could not. he'll wait tied to a tree at the top until you get the deed done and then he will do all the hard work for you! He'll stand in the cold all night while your in a warm tent and he'll wait for you to rise and come over and rub him between the eyes and give him a taste of oats....then he'll nuzzle you. He can be the best friend and hunting partner you ever take into the mountains!!! GOOD LUCK!!

A mule is by far the best for the mountains. They ride better, navigate trials better, and mentally are more sound in this environment. However, they are not nearly as glamourus to ride and you will likely end up buying a quarter horse. Great way to go and you will have lots to chose from. The horse market is crap, you can buy a great horse for next to nothing right now. Everybody is right regarding attitude; then you must spend time in the saddle. Don't expect riding the ditches to make the horse you want. Invest into yourself and your horsemen ship, all to often the person is the weak link.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back