Yeti

Hornady Interlock Bullets?

antelopedundee

They are good bullets for sure. One thing I've noticed is that when the shelves are empty that there is always plenty of Hornady bullets in stock at most places.

Dan O

In 1972 I shot my first Elk it was a 5 point bull. My buddy and I snuck in on two 5x5's and we both shot and dropped both Elk. His was standing and mine was running. Each dropped when hit DRT. Both were shot with Hornady 180 grain spire points shot from two pre 64 model 70's in 300 H&H. I think they were interlocks but may have been regular cup and core but the fact is they worked great.
Now days I use Nosler Partitions or Accubonds or Barnes TTSX. In retrospect I may be over doing it with premium bullets but maybe not.

Don Fischer

Don't elk hunt much anymore, at my age I worry about getting one out if I shot it. But have killed a decent number with my 6.5x06 and 140gr Hornady bullet's, all one shot kills. My last elk rifle was a 30-06 and I chose to go with the 180gr Hornady Interlock, no regrets . Three elk all one shot kills. For many years for deer I used a 308 and 165gr Hornady bullet's was pretty much all I shot in it. Never had a good shot fail and never a regret using them. Shot them into newspaper piled at 100yds years ago to see what happened with the bullet's. !65gr bullet's after firing retained 84% of their weight. The core was loose in the jacket but no separation. When I started with my 6.5x06 my plan was for 140gr Nosler Partitions. Breaking in I used 140gr Hornadys though. Found out that the partition and the Hornady inter lock both fired to the same POA! Messed up and when elk season opened I didn't have any partitions so went with the Hornady and never looked back.

Jbotto

They are good bullets for sure. One thing I've noticed is that when the shelves are empty that there is always plenty of Hornady bullets in stock at most places.
Yep. Have a practice load using the great Sierra 165gr GameKing for my .30-06. Haven’t been able to find them in months so I finally dropped my stubbornness and picked up a couple hundred 165gr Interlocks to try. They were on the shelf at a bunch of different stores on a recent trip to Billings, so why not try them!?

antelopedundee

Yep. Have a practice load using the great Sierra 165gr GameKing for my .30-06. Haven’t been able to find them in months so I finally dropped my stubbornness and picked up a couple hundred 165gr Interlocks to try. They were on the shelf at a bunch of different stores on a recent trip to Billings, so why not try them!?
Exactly. I suspect that there may not be much difference between the 2 performance-wise.

Brian in Montana

I've shot a couple elk and about a dozen deer with the 165gn Interlocks out of a .308 but it was all factory ammo - Hornady Custom or American Whitetail. It's a good bullet and I've always been impressed with the design and what they do on the receiving end. For me, they always expand reliably and don't fly apart. I've had a little trouble getting my handloads very accurate with this bullet though. My wife's .270 shoots the 130 and 140gn bullets pretty good, but my .308 doesn't like them as well as some other bullets. Its about 1 MOA using H4895.