MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hornady 7 PRC a Lie?

Or why people think they need it. Hornady doesn't have much that interests me. Except for V-Max bullets in my .222. mtmuley

There's a lot of benefits - especially in chamber design. I know it came out within the last 2 decades so you are uninterested - but for being a fan of copper bullets im suprised you don't like the improvements.

There's a lot of benefits - especially in chamber design. I know it came out within the last 2 decades so you are uninterested - but for being a fan of copper bullets im suprised you don't like the improvements.
There is a big difference between understanding and liking something and actually needing it as an improvement over what you have. mtmuley

My 7 PRC has a 26inch Shilen barrel and I get 2875 fps with the factory Hornady 180 Eld-M
I haven't tested the 175 Eld-X yet but I definitely will when I get a chance
I have shot the 180's out to a mile and they did well in my opinion for factory ammo

The letters PRC sell a lot of ammo and rifles. mtmuley

Hornady missed the boat. They should have had a line of UPMRCs (Ultra Precision Magnum Rifle Cartridges). If they could have also thrown a “T” in for “Tactical,” stand back!

Back to the thread topic, I would be pretty disappointed with 2800 fps out of a 24” 7mm PRC if I was stuck with factory ammo. However, based on case capacity, I doubt there would be much trouble getting around 3000 fps with 175 gr bullets in handloads.

Insulting people adds a lot to the discussion. Thanks.

He wants to reverse the ban on market hunting - and thinks hunting regs are unnecessary. So the shoe happens to fit.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth….
I’m averaging 2939 fps with an STDV of 18.8 out of a 20” barrel with 175 gr Hornady ELDX factory loads. I’ll start working up hand loads this summer to see where it goes.

Claimed velocity is all over the place. mtmuley

Could be difference in chronographs too. Have seen optical chronographs throw some pretty wild numbers. Probably alot of those being used since they are the cheapest route to go.

There is really no way to know what the Hornady variables are unless Hornady releases the details on their approach including equipment/barrels involved. However, it seems like too much of a difference though to have 200 fps difference in the same length barrel. That's a lot of %. However, I don't think it's reasonable to think it's definitely intentional on Hornady's part. People make mistakes in every field.

In the Backfire video, it appears Jim expected to find a huge difference in the 308s. That didn't happen though. Unless there is something about the chronograph that makes it only work correctly with 30 cal, it seems it's unlikely the chronograph(s) that is the issue.

At the end of the day, it just means that ballistic calculators are totally dependent on the data ... garbage in, garbage out. If you want to guarantee that you will hit as expected, you need to shoot more than just 100 yds to know what to expect at different distances.

Since BC enters into the calculations, those can also only be verified by shooting as well.

I spent way too much rebarrelling a Tikka to a 20" 7 PRC and have been a bit disappointed in factory Hornady velocities. HOWEVER, I think Hornady just needs to get it's $h1t together and the cartridge itself will deliver.

My experience mirrors many others. Early lots of factory Hornady 7 PRC cartridges were not that fast, not that accurate and HOT. Heavy bolt lift and pressure signs. Later lots were much slower but consistent and accurate. As someone else posted, the newer offerings of ELD-X(!) from Federal are shooting more accurately and closer to advertised speeds, and appear to be loaded to shorter COAL. We are all watching the recipe develop real time.

I think the kinks will get ironed out eventually and the 7PRC will reign supreme in the magnum world (popularity wise).

Hornady missed the boat. They should have had a line of UPMRCs (Ultra Precision Magnum Rifle Cartridges). If they could have also thrown a “T” in for “Tactical,” stand back!

Back to the thread topic, I would be pretty disappointed with 2800 fps out of a 24” 7mm PRC if I was stuck with factory ammo. However, based on case capacity, I doubt there would be much trouble getting around 3000 fps with 175 gr bullets in handloads.
Pfft... "Tactical Rifle Ultra Magnum Precision" (or T.R.U.M.P.) would have opened up a whole new market segments of Bubbas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back