Caribou Gear

Hornady 208 gr ELD-M

CabinetBulls

I am wondering if anyone has tried these bullets on game. I have read some interesting information on what it’s done to some critters and am thinking about loading some for 300 win mag. Any thoughts?

There have been people that have shot game with it with no issues. HOWEVER - why wouldn't you just buy the ELD-X instead that's actually designed to kill stuff? I've found that the 178gr ELD-X performs pretty darn well in my 30-06.

The Hornady ELD bullets have as much controversy surrounding them as the VLD did when the craze started. I've stayed away from the ELD's. Just too many other bullets that have a better reputation. mtmuley

The Hornady ELD bullets have as much controversy surrounding them as the VLD did when the craze started. I've stayed away from the ELD's. Just too many other bullets that have a better reputation. mtmuley
Yes I’ve read quite a bit on both sides of the argument... with those BCs they have it is sure tempting to try them out.

There have been people that have shot game with it with no issues. HOWEVER - why wouldn't you just buy the ELD-X instead that's actually designed to kill stuff? I've found that the 178gr ELD-X performs pretty darn well in my 30-06.
Really considering the ELD-X as well because the BCs are right up there, but I’ve read more about them not expanding and penciling through, whereas the ELD-M has seemed to be performing more like the Berger

BC is an overrated aspect of a bullet. I see tons of threads about hunters wanting a high BC bullet, then state they limit shots to 300 or so yards. Bullets that kill well are more exiting than those with high numbers. mtmuley

BC is an overrated aspect of a bullet. I see tons of threads about hunters wanting a high BC bullet, then state they limit shots to 300 or so yards. Bullets that kill well are more exiting than those with high numbers. mtmuley
I agree with you about bullets that kill are WAY better than high BC . All of the Bergers do some extreme damage from what I’ve seen, and these Ms are supposedly doing the same... I have been considering the classic hunter as well... just wondering if anyone on here has some first hand experience

Really though, BC shouldn't be much of a factor when considering a hunting bullet. It doesn't effect bullet drop enough at ranges under 400 yards to worry about. If you're ok with shooting farther than that you are a better shooter than I am.

Really though, BC shouldn't be much of a factor when considering a hunting bullet. It doesn't effect bullet drop enough at ranges under 400 yards to worry about. If you're ok with shooting farther than that you are a better shooter than I am.
I practice regularly at 500 and can hold under MOA, I just like to be prepared if something goes cowshit on the first shot and may have a long follow up, some of the places around here it could make the difference in one disappearing wounded or maybe stopping him. Definitely not the goal I can usually get a bit closer!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back