Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Holster Break-in

idnative1948

As mentioned earlier, I went with Galco leather for my new 9mm. I am having a tough time breaking it in. Unfortunately I cannot carry at work. I have gone through wrapping weapon with saran wrap and twisting back and forth. I have shifted to carrying at 4+ o'clock in order to keep some of the bend out of it (lost 2 inches of winter blubber).
Short of starting over, I am open to suggestions.

Just curious what pistol you are carrying? I assume this is for conceal carry, correct?

Not sure about saran wrap but I have heard of using wax paper when breaking in a leather holster.

They sold me a bottle of Draw-EZ. Supposedly you put small amounts of it on the contact points on the inside of the holster. I have applied small amounts of it twice and seems to help a little. Perhaps I am just too impatient, but would like to get to the range soon with it.

SW Sigma 9VE. Tried waxed paper also, but a couple of the contact points are so tight that it just shredded the paper, hence a couple of layers saran wrap.

Just curious what pistol you are carrying? I assume this is for conceal carry, correct?

Not sure about saran wrap but I have heard of using wax paper when breaking in a leather holster.

Soaking the inside if the holster with hot water and putting the gun (heavily wrapped in saran wrap-water tight) in over night will usually do the trick if you can't loosen it any other way.

Will Galco exchange for another? They seem pretty reputable.

Was the galco a specific form for your piece?

Is the leather pre formed for a few guns? Curious if there is a form within that matches a similar gun that is close though not exact to yours... thus creating a tighter fit?

If not lined, I have heard of heating the leather then putting the gun in and covering to reduce heat loss... it apparently will minimally adjust characteristics to form the holstered gun.

I personally enjoy DeSantis and have not had an issue with formed leather holsters... darn hospital lacks wood to knock on... haha!

Btw, got your card! Thanks!

Last edited:
Give it time when I got my turtle creek holsters it said it could take 14 days.They felt good to me right away.

Soaking the inside if the holster with hot water and putting the gun (heavily wrapped in saran wrap-water tight) in over night will usually do the trick if you can't loosen it any other way.

Gundog is on the right track. A Sioux buddy of mine who lives up on the Wind River Res (I know, but his wife is Arapahoe) taught me that any piece of leather you wanted to stick anything into and get it to fit, boots, gloves, holsters, should be thoroughly soaked, insert the intended cargo and then let the leather article dry in place. In this case it might be wise to wrap the gun with several layers of Saran Wrap to keep it dry and add a little fudge space so as to be snug but not tight.

Thanks TH! Dad always spoke of the old trick when it comes to a new pair of boots.. Walk down to *crick* and wade in, wear them until dry. If not, you will go lame in short order. Another suggestion has been to wet a wash cloth and mircro it until good and warm, stuff it into holster, have a beverage remove wash cloth and put your saran wrapped weapon in.

Just have a feeling one or two of you are going to jump all over my last sentence. Have fun at my expense.:rolleyes:

Thanks TH! Dad always spoke of the old trick when it comes to a new pair of boots.. Walk down to *crick* and wade in, wear them until dry. If not, you will go lame in short order.

Yep, I have a pair of Nocona's which were broken in that way and I'm too embarrassed to say how old they are, but they've been resoled 5 times and repegged twice. Running out of material to work with, but they still fit like a glove.

LEO friend of mine suggested it as is what he uses when he is on an ATV (sorry for bad vibes on that). According to catalog is specific to SW9VE. When it is laying flat is perfect, but when I belt it on a 4+ it puts just enough bend into it that I wouldn't attempt to draw even if I needed to (and hope never the need).

Will Galco exchange for another? They seem pretty reputable.

Was the galco a specific form for your piece?

Is the leather pre formed for a few guns? Curious if there is a form within that matches a similar gun that is close though not exact to yours... thus creating a tighter fit?

If not lined, I have heard of heating the leather then putting the gun in and covering to reduce heat loss... it apparently will minimally adjust characteristics to form the holstered gun.

I personally enjoy DeSantis and have not had an issue with formed leather holsters... darn hospital lacks wood to knock on... haha!

Btw, got your card! Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back