Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hogue Stocks

The Hogue stocks I have used all came in without bends. Brownells and Midway are my normal sources. Most errors I see on these stocks are where the recoil lug is not centered correctly and drives the barrel into the side of the stock channel. I have seen pillar-bedded models with slightly bent forearms but they took shape once installed. Wrapped tape around the barrel centers it and helps stabilize/straighten the stock. I choose to embed engine pushrods in the forearm of my builds as even "high end" stocks do well with a little extra stiffness in the forearm. Plus pushrods are cheap at salvage yards!

Any opinions on Hogue's rifle stocks? I've held a couple Howas and they seem to feel good in your hands.

I have a Savage 12fv varmint rifle with a heavy barrel and synthetic stock. The rifle is surprisingly accurate but the stock feels like a cheap toy gun. The front flexes and touches the barrel on one side.

I've had a hard time finding a stock for this rifle because it's a Cabela's exclusive with a blind magazine. Most of the stocks out there are for detachable magazines. Bell and Carlson didn't have one, Boyd's only has one or two but they are thumbhole style and then there are expensive chassis stocks but I wanted a reasonable priced hunting style stock, especially since this rifle was only $250 new.

Also, I noticed there are two bedding options in the Hogue stocks, pillar or full bed block. Is there that much advantage of the full block to spend the extra money?
What did you end up putting on your savage? I got a savage 111 in 7mm bought new 3 years back and really like it and a keeper super accurate but don’t like stock flex and don’t want a Boyd’s Laminate As had one and was super heavy but nice. Pillar bed or full stock bed?

The Hogue stocks I have used all came in without bends. Brownells and Midway are my normal sources. Most errors I see on these stocks are where the recoil lug is not centered correctly and drives the barrel into the side of the stock channel. I have seen pillar-bedded models with slightly bent forearms but they took shape once installed. Wrapped tape around the barrel centers it and helps stabilize/straighten the stock. I choose to embed engine pushrods in the forearm of my builds as even "high end" stocks do well with a little extra stiffness in the forearm. Plus pushrods are cheap at salvage yards!

This is exactly my experience, too. The recoil lug is often misaligned/canted and will cause the action and barrel to be pushed to one side.

This is exactly my experience, too. The recoil lug is often misaligned/canted and will cause the action and barrel to be pushed to one side.
Nothing that a little hogging and bedding won’t fix. 50-50 on needing this for any stock swap, regardless of brand

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back