Caribou Gear Tarp

Hogue Stocks

Brandon270

Any opinions on Hogue's rifle stocks? I've held a couple Howas and they seem to feel good in your hands.

I have a Savage 12fv varmint rifle with a heavy barrel and synthetic stock. The rifle is surprisingly accurate but the stock feels like a cheap toy gun. The front flexes and touches the barrel on one side.

I've had a hard time finding a stock for this rifle because it's a Cabela's exclusive with a blind magazine. Most of the stocks out there are for detachable magazines. Bell and Carlson didn't have one, Boyd's only has one or two but they are thumbhole style and then there are expensive chassis stocks but I wanted a reasonable priced hunting style stock, especially since this rifle was only $250 new.

Also, I noticed there are two bedding options in the Hogue stocks, pillar or full bed block. Is there that much advantage of the full block to spend the extra money?

I've have both pillar and full length stocks, the full length guarantees you a stiffer forearm and less likely to contact the barrel. For the money I like there stocks.

I agree on getting the full length bedding block if you're going to go that route. I have the pillar bedded stock on a Howa and it has a lot of flex in the forearm.

I had one but sold. It was a little heavy and a little “rubbery” in feel for my tastes and have been happier with B&C and H&S precision stocks. But the hogue was solid improvement over Tupperware factory.

Last edited:
I had one bit sold. It was a little heavy and a little “rubbery” in feel for my tastes and have been happier with B&C and H&S precious stocks. But the hogue was solid improvement over Tupperware factory.
I was hoping to get a b&c or h&s but neither have one that will work for this rifle. Like you said, something has to be better than this current stock.

I would keep your money and not buy a hogue stock. They arent that great IMO.
I would spend a few dollars on some Devcon or marine Tex and bed the lug on the factory stock. You can stiffen the forend with carbon arrow shafts cut and epoxied in also. Then sand/free float the barrel channel.
You can also remove the recoil pad and fill the rear of the stock with expansion foam to reduce the hollow sound. Let it dry and trim it off and reinstall the pad.
Keep the $250 toward your next rifle!!😃

I contacted b&c directly and they don't make one specifically for this one, only for the drop box magazine version. That's why my options are limited.
I bought the cabela's 12FV blind mag and then bought the B&C Varmint/Tactical Fully Adjustable stock for blind mags. It's perfect for varmint and target shooting, too heavy for field carry, but I wouldn't carry a 12FV in the field anyway, too long and heavy to start with.

I've had one on my Rem. 700 30-06 for over 20 yrs now and love it still. Full bed. Indestructable so far and comfortable in my hands. The Simms pad that is part of it has saved my shoulder, as it feels like shooting a 22.
Have a Hogue grip on my pistol too.

I know lots of folks pooh pooh them & opt for BC & such,for much more $. Glad their happy.
I never liked the feel of a BC/fiberglass or any of the plastic stocks. I'd rather go back to a good wood stock than those stocks. Just me,personally. They feel slippery.Like a wet or frozen stock.
My TC Omega came with a plastic stock I've foamed and all. Still don't like the slippery feel nor the plasticyness. It is full of cuts and scars now too.

If weight isn't a huge concern you might look into a Choate. It looks like they have a couple of options that might work for you. I've used them before and liked them even though it was a little on the heavy side. I'll likely be getting another one for my heavy barreled Howa soon.

If weight isn't a huge concern you might look into a Choate. It looks like they have a couple of options that might work for you. I've used them before and liked them even though it was a little on the heavy side. I'll likely be getting another one for my heavy barreled Howa soon.
It's already hovering at 11 pounds, at this point weight is just a number haha!

I have built three rifles using Hogue full length bedding blocks. They are good shooters! I put engine pushrods bedded in the forearms for stiffness on all my builds as well as being sure the barrel is free floated.

DPG25-06.png

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of mine bought a used Rem 700 in 300WBY and it became a project rifle, after upgrading the scope, trigger and glass bedding the stock it shot a lot better, but it wasn't until he replaced the stock with a Hogue version,(full length bedding), that the accuracy in that rifle really came to life!

I'm surprised to hear some folks have had good experiences with these. I checked some out at the gun shop and they look and feel like about the chintziest product on the market.

I'm surprised to hear some folks have had good experiences with these. I checked some out at the gun shop and they look and feel like about the chintziest product on the market.
I absolutely don't think these are high end stocks but how do they compare to budget rifles with cheap synthetic stocks?

While the Hogue shouldn't be thought of as a high end option it is a vast improvement over some factory stocks. When compared to more premium options of course it's on the lower end. My Howa came with the Hogue pillar bedded stock and I've harvested several pigs and deer with it and did not find it to be inadequate. If you don't think you'd be satisfied with the Hogue perhaps you can find a bottom metal that takes magazines or a hinged floor plate. That would open up your options on the stocks you could get.

While the Hogue shouldn't be thought of as a high end option it is a vast improvement over some factory stocks. When compared to more premium options of course it's on the lower end. My Howa came with the Hogue pillar bedded stock and I've harvested several pigs and deer with it and did not find it to be inadequate. If you don't think you'd be satisfied with the Hogue perhaps you can find a bottom metal that takes magazines or a hinged floor plate. That would open up your options on the stocks you could get.
I think the Hogue will suit this rifle just fine. It's a very low budget set up between the price I bought it for and the cheap vortex I put on top, it's a tack driver for what I put into it. Doesn't make sense to throw $500+ down on a high end stock for this rig. I just wanted to make sure it was worth the couple hundred bucks to replace the junk tupperware that's on it now.

I absolutely don't think these are high end stocks but how do they compare to budget rifles with cheap synthetic stocks?
More specifically, the Hogue stocks I looked at were asymmetrical. One had banana-shaped bend. Lack of clean lines. I did like the tackiness of the grip.

See 6:19 in the video below. If you can stiffen the front stock of the Hogue using this method or similar, it might be redeemable. If not, I'd be worried about pulling shots w/ the barrel contact.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back