Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

HMA odds in Wyoming

fishing4sanity

I should understand all the nuances of antelope tags better than I do considering how much I look at WY's website, but my lack of tags says otherwise. My biggest problem is putting all the emphasis on my first choice tag, then year-to-year changes leave me finding out that my strategy would have worked with 'last year's draw,' but not this year's. So, I'm looking at 2nd choices more carefully. Of course the 2nd choices run into the 'difficult public land access' issue. Some units have Walk In Areas and some Hunter Management Areas. It appears the WIAs are just show up and go, but the HMAs have another draw for permission slips? Is there anyway to find out draw odds of HMAs? I worry about picking a unit with good tag odds, but little chance of drawing permission for the HMA, and very limited options outside the HMA.

You should have quite a few options for drawing a decent hunt tag with your 2nd choice. The number of pronghorn buck tags that fall into the leftover category is declining each year but there are tags you can draw even if neither your 1st and 2nd choices does not garner a buck tag. The recent price increases for NR applicants may drive away some NR though those with points for elk or deer or pronghorn will likely apply for another year or two as they burn their points and stop applying. WY Pronghorn are the easiest to draw tags in the West for a nice adventure.

You can go to F&G and look up draw results for Special and Regular draw. Or, subscribe to GoHunt and let them gather the data into their system then you ping that dat using your accumulated points, public land %, draw %, harvest % etc. GoHunt has a blurb on each unit so will give some guidance on how challenging access is for that species during that season. Epic and Huntin' Fool tend to focus on trophy units so are not very useful for the applicant wanting to draw tags often so can get out and hunt every year.

Good question on the HMA's. Maybe Buzz knows. I can't find draw odds for them either. Some are unlimited, but others are drawing only.

I'm not sure they publish those HMA drawing odds, but they should.
I sent a message via facebook, we'll see what they respond.

The only way I know to get an idea of HMA odds is see how many permission slips are given, and compare to tags allotted. Most likely not everyone with the tag will apply for the HMA access, but in a unit with limited access most probably will.

I hunted a limited HMA last year. Seemed like it was first come first served. I remember getting the permission slip the same day I applied (which was the first day it was open). Maybe I just got lucky?

Some HMAs are unlimited and all you have to do is print the slips for it off your computer. Others have limits and are first come first served like vanish hunted last year until the limit is hit. Some do have draws that you have to apply for after you draw the tag for the unit the HMA is in, but I'm not aware of any stats that the G&F puts out regarding the odds of getting drawn in those.

I have always gone for the HMA's with unlimited slips and not had a problem finding antelope. I figure out the last time out for Antelope that I would go drive around the outside perimeter looking as much as possible, then figure out which 1 looked better and drive to the G&F center for my slip. I am also looking forward to buying the GPS with chip capability or trying my cell phone with the app. My group of 5 shot 5 bucks off of a 1 square mile section public land that touched the county road. We did spot and stalk for 3 of the bucks and due to health reasons I sat with two of the guys and helped spot for them waiting for the bucks to cross onto the public.

I haven't gone through the HMA application process yet. Is there an option to apply as a party in HMA's that don't have unlimited permission?

HMA app process won't be open for 2018 until summer. I have never applied when in a party but the system will already be populated with your qualified licenses and should know you are in a party. They well be turning the system off in a few months then updating with 2018 info. If looking at an HMA now is the time to look at what's available and the ranch rules understanding things change.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back